Which swap should I make?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Znypar

It is time I have started to think seriously about what engine I am going to drop into my 98 civic EX coupe.

I dont want a dam ricer.

Which engine should I swap, and where is the best place to look?

I am looking mainly for stock power, I am not going to do much rebuilding or things like that. Something I can easily make my own without too much cash. I am also thinking about my wallet so I don't want to spring for a type R engine. :p

well, to make the wiring easier, just buy a USDM B18C1 out of a GSR- then add wires to the harness, get the proper OBD II P72 ecu and have fun :)

anything bad about the f20b?

also, what is so bad about the h22a? does the con of the weight really overwhelm the pro of the power?

Originally posted by Znypar@Mar 29 2004, 05:02 PM
anything bad about the f20b?

also, what is so bad about the h22a? does the con of the weight really overwhelm the pro of the power?

The f20b is going to be a pain in the ass (ie. not cheap.) And the h22 will end up costing you more in the end the the gsr will.

well it all depends what you want to do with the car- if you want to autocross than i would stay away from the h22a, but if you wanna go fast in a straight line, or start with gobs of power out of the box, than go with the h22a- other imo, B18c is the best bang for the buck and has tons of aftermarket support

k cool. all that was a mystery until now.

I'm still confused on which b18 to get though. they all run at pretty high cost, some more than others. but which will be worth it more?

lol u posted that when i was typing :p

now just which b18c?

b18c1 is the GSR engine. It has dual intake manifold system, dual overhead cam VTEC head, 1.8 liters of displacement and a decent transmission.

The b18b is the LS engine. Non VTEC, shitty transmission (easily swapable with a b16 or ITR tranny) with 403 or 404 cams, the engine rocks. Pretty cheap for alot of performance.

b18c5 is the ITR swap. High reving, high hp, high trq, bad ass tranny, LSD, list goes on. Pretty expensive.

Back