Which wheels would you get? Pics inside...

Which set?

• Mazda 3 17x7 with less curb rash for $200

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • RX-8 18x8 with more curb rash and chips for $300

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phunky.buddha

Mad scientist
VIP
Need opinions...

So this is the wife's car (Mazda 5), except hers is grey and doesn't have side skirts:

mazda5_stock_photo.jpg

Trying to pick up some new wheels for it. The stock size is 205/50-17 on 17x6.5 +52.5 wheels. We have the exact same wheels as the stock picture above.

I have the choice between a set of 2010 Mazda 3 wheels and a set of RX-8 wheels.

mazda3_2010_stock_photo.jpg

Mazda 3 = 17x7 +52.5, one has slight curb rash (I'll fix), tires are currently 205/50 Yokohama Avid (not sure which one). I can get the set for $200.

rx8_2007_stock_photo.jpg

RX-8 = 18x8 +50, two or three seem to have curb rash, and the wheels are from a 2004 model so they seem to have a bit more rock chips and things like that in the finish. Tires are currently 225/40 BFG G-Force Sport. I can get the set for $300.

The goal was to put 235/45-17 tires on for a little more sidewall (smoother ride), a slight bulge for rim protection, and a wider contact patch for more grip. I just love the way the RX-8 wheels look though... even though they will take quite a bit more cleanup, be more susceptible to curb rash, and get rid of the smoother ride target since the sidewalls would be shorter than stock. The RX-8 wheels would end up wearing 235/40-18 tires.

Tire prices- the 235/45-17 seems to run about $25-40 less per tire than the 235/40-18 size on TireRack.com. So overall, the 18s would cost about $200 more than the 17s.

Weight- doing some quick research around the web, it looks like both of these wheels are right at 22 pounds apiece. Tires are anywhere from 23 to 25 pounds each, with the 18s being 1 pound heavier if they're listed as being heavier at all.

What do you think? Vote in the poll. Pics of the actual wheels I'm choosing between are below.

MZ3:

mz3_sm_1.jpg

mz3_sm_2.jpg

mz3_sm_3.jpg

mz3_sm_4.jpg

mz3_sm_5.jpg

mz3_sm_6.jpg

RX-8:

rx8_1.JPG

rx8_2.JPG

rx8_3.jpg

rx8_4.jpg

rx8_5.jpg

Last edited:
RX8 all day. Love those wheels. Once cleaned up (and they really dont look all that bad) theyll look awesome on the 5. They fit the body lines better too.

Hmm. Noted. Love the fast reply. Agree with you on the looks too- they do look nice on the 5.

Who else? :D

i say rx8s too.. 18s will look better on the bigger vehicle..

Yeah I can't tell the model number. Oh well, wouldn't use them anyway.

I also like the RX8 wheels, let me know if you want those powder coated, besides stereo installs, paint and body i also powder coat. I will hook you up on the price, cheap cheap, 100 bucks for all four.

of those 2 i like the RX8 wheels better

any thoughts on the MazdaSpeed Protege "Racing Harts"... those would probably look good on there and they are 17s so you get to keep your ride comfort where you want it
might be harder to find a set in mint condition though

just a thought

protege3.jpg

attachment.php

Whats wrong with the stock wheels? I know they are slightly more narrow, but its a mini van. Why spend the money ($500+).

Out of the two choices I would go for the rx8's. I think the stock wheels look better than the 3's.

Where's the choice? RX8 rape those fancy boy wheels all day.

yeah disregard my previous post about the MSP wheels... i dont know that they would go with the lines of the 5

but i found some pics of a grey 5 with the RX8 wheels on it

26609320018_large.jpg

26609320004_large.jpg

26609320005_large.jpg

26609320034_large.jpg

Those RX8 wheels arent in terrible shape, a little love and they should look like new, and way better than the 3 wheels.

of those 2 i like the RX8 wheels better

any thoughts on the MazdaSpeed Protege "Racing Harts"... those would probably look good on there and they are 17s so you get to keep your ride comfort where you want it
might be harder to find a set in mint condition though

Yeah, those are a little hard to find... almost never see a set for sale, and they're pricey when they do come up.

Whats wrong with the stock wheels? I know they are slightly more narrow, but its a mini van. Why spend the money ($500+).

Out of the two choices I would go for the rx8's. I think the stock wheels look better than the 3's.

Man, you need to drive a 5. It's actually tuned quite well suspension-wise from the factory. If you've ever driven a 3, it's honestly a lot more lively than a Civic in factory form. Plus ours is stick- so it's actually quite fun.

I think the stock wheels look better than the 3s also, but they're growing on me (the 3). I want different wheels because I want to support a much larger tire on the next set- which will happen pretty soon since my blown shocks have chewed this set of tires to hell. I'm replacing the crap shocks with coilovers in a few weeks, then it'll be time for new tires.

rx8......he must be swapping in a 4 rotor motor and needs some beefier wheels and tires :p

:D :D :D :D :D

Turbo would be nice (pretty easy), but I don't know that I'd go down that route. Having the suspension and shoes all sorted out will be pretty nice though!

yeah disregard my previous post about the MSP wheels... i dont know that they would go with the lines of the 5

but i found some pics of a grey 5 with the RX8 wheels on it

Yeah I've seen a lot of those on mazdas247.com. Pretty sweet. I think I'll try to get the RX-8 wheels tomorrow, even though they'll cost an additional $200 in the end. I'll get less sidewall and less rim protection, but the contact patch will be better with an 8" wheel inside a 235 instead of a 7". Still not 100% decided though...

how bout the Mazda6 wheels
they look similar to the RX8 wheels and are 17s so you get your sidewall

464111_4_full.jpg

Back