White/grey exhaust.?!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

murray195

Hello all, this is somewhat of a continuation of : https://hondaswap.com/hybrid-eg-ek-dc/holy-codes-batman-d16y8-d16z6-y8-manifold-ek-509147/
I just finished swapping in a d16z6 into 2000 civic si that had a blown motor. I took the y8 intake manifold off the d16y8 and mounted it to the z6 head. All codes are cleared up, and the only way I was able to stabilize the idle was to pinch the crank case breather to intake hose. I traced it down and realized the fitting going into the breather off the hose was broken. So I assume that when I buy a new fitting and reconnect the hose the idle will be stable.

But my main concern is the white/grey smoke that comes out the exhaust when the car reaches operating temperature! Could this be connected the the vacuum leak caused by the broken breather fitting?

No bubbles in the overflow, oil is extremely clean, as is the coolant so I highly doubt the headgasket is leaking.

Last edited:
SOLUTION!! Ok, so I looked over everything on the swap and was totally stumped. So I started to think about what I didn't do... my buddy connected the exhaust. So just for $hits, I disconnected the cat and low and behold oil started dripping out. When the motor blew, it filled the exhaust with oil! So that explains why it didn't start to smoke until the engine was at operating temp... it wasn't until then that the exhaust got hot enough to burn/steam the oil in the exhaust. I feel like an idiot, but you'd never expect something that simple to be such an issue! Anyways, there ya go, hopefully my experience will help somebody down the road.

Back