Why can't I use a b16a2 engine, harness and ECU in my 1997 civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ITSWILL

Just confused about this, I have seen people say that i should use the stock d16 harness but I dont understand why? It seems like a lot less work to just use the engine,harness and ecu from the 2000 civic SI.

if you already have a 2000 si harness, ecu, and engine, then yes it makes more sense to me to just use the si parts.

I have an EM1 that I drive daily and I love it, b16a2 is the way to go or at least one way. I've driven a variety of different hondas and have yet to find any engine with as much guts to it as my 00 Si. (hoping my h2b swap will raise the bar a bit though!)

Anyways someone correct me if I'm forgetting something but I see NO reason you couldn't just swap out the whole setup.

Ok, I agree. But I do see some things that may need to be modified. It looks like the green plug by the ecu will need to have some pins moved around and so will the roundish gray plug by the firewall on the drivers side.

Also I have noticed that the radiator hoses are too large in diameter to fit on to my stock radiator. I will probably just squeeze the smaller hoses onto the new engine for now.

another trick depending on how big the hoses are is to cut a piece off the smaller hose and fit it inside the larger one to make it tight at that end

There's no reason that you can't, if you've got the manuals and can trace the wires that are different. More like, I'd ask why would you want to remove one harness to install another that's almost the same? Just use yours and do the few modifications needed.

I started the engine last night without any modification to the harness. Seems to run fine. I still need to trace some wires and get it all straight, but it runs.

FYI, the car runs great, I just had to trace a few wires and make a few connections and everything works perfectly with the b16 harness.

Did everything plug up ok and do you know if your obd2 plug works? i have to pass emissions and i have a b16a2 in a 98 ex and i bought it swaped (I know.....) and it doesnt pass emissions cause he half way did the swap. and if this harness works it will solve my problem

As long as it is a OBD2 harness and ECU there is no reason you cant use it.
Also my B18B1 would smash B16's and now Ls Vtec I beat B18C5 swaps. 1.8L FTW.

I've driven a variety of different hondas and have yet to find any engine with as much guts to it as my 00 Si. (hoping my h2b swap will raise the bar a bit though!).

This makes me giggle
EM1 is heavy and the baby stoke B16A2 is the furthest from the beast of B-series.

I've had the B18B adn the B16A (stock and with cams) in an EGg and driven a few B18C1 swaps. The B16 was the most unsatisfying of them all.

its all about preference...ik im currently in the process of doing a b16 swap and i love the b16...i have had alot of b18 and they are strong but don't seem to have the pull that a b16 has...plus a modded b16 with gas flys lol

Back