Wire back in harness?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Justin66

The Hondaswap Canadian
A wire slipped out of my one of my ECU harnesses, is it possible to put the wire back in it?

You mentioned this in your last post... if the wire looks like it's broken (i.e. frayed) then you need so solder it back together. Google "soldering basics" to learn more about that stuff. USE heatshrink.

Last edited:
Also just FYI, "harness" refers to the whole bundle of wires and CONNECTORS that you're looking at. Each little plug is not a "harness". :)

lol true, guess i need to learn my terminology better. Ok one of the "plugs" then. Im only good with crimping.

Ok did the wire actually break? Or is there still a little metal thingy on the end? (Looks like I need to review my electrical terminology too :D)
If there is still a little metal thingy, then you just need to pop it back into the back of the connector.
If not, you need to strip the wires, possibly get another short piece of wire to fill in if there's no slack in the wire, then solder it up and heatshrink it.
Sodlering isn't very hard, just make sure you've got a good soldering iron and a clean place to work. Or even a dirty place to work, it doesn't really matter all that much. :D

No there is no metal bit on it, it looks like if you stripped the end off the wire, exposing the inside of the wire (as if to crimp it) and then push it against a wall, fraying the end of the wire. Like ripping a wire out of a crimp.

Ok so is there still a little piece of the wire sticking out of the back of the connector it's supposed to be attached to? If not you're gonna have to find a way to get that little metal thingy out of there...
Wish I knew what they're called :p The wires have a little metal thing on the end, which plugs in to the back of the connector, and the metal thingy ends up being the pin in the connector. So you'll have to go to pick n pull and get another one of these little pins but with some of the wire still attached to it so you can solder it on to your harness and plug it in to your connector.

Well there isnt any wire sticking out the back of the connector.

Just for reference, these harnesses/connectors have removable inserts correct? If so thats a good thing cause it can be fixed, if not ill have to get a new harness/plug which sucks.

Yes, there is the "metal thingy" :p It's soldered on to the end of the wire then it clips in to the back of the connector plug. If you can, it's probably easier to just go to pick n pull and cut off or remove a section of the wiring with some of those plugs so you can pull them out and just solder one of them on to your existing wire. The ECU connectors also have 2 extra clips that hold all the wires into them, you have to remove them first.

Back