y8 vtec solenoid, which wires are which?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

raceinspiredrex

i have an 88 crx and know somebody's gonna say post in the ef forum, but the y8 head is from an ek, 97 ex to be exact. i'm not sure which wires are which on the vtec solenoid. i'm converting from obd0 to 1 and have a conversion harness. there's three wires from the harness and three on the solenoid, so that's all good. the wires from the harness say vtec solenoid signal, vtec pressure switch signal, and vtec pressure switch ground. i'm guessing that the vtec solenoid signal wire goes to the green/yellow wire that's by itself. i'm not sure about the other two that're together on the plug but i'm guessing that the red/white wire is the vtec pressure switch signal and the green/black wire is the ground. can anybody verify this? thanks guys i appreciate it
vtakkkk.jpg

hmmm on mine i have one green wire coming from that plug then there are 2 other wires connecting to the bottom of the solinoid.. but the color is similar.. I want to say the Green wire is the Signal wire and the red and black the pressure sender... let me get back to you on that they may be wired the different years I have a wireing diagram at home

well the one that's by itself up top, that wire's green with a yellow stripe. the two wires on the plug, those two are green with a black stripe, and red with a white stripe. thanks a lot

bump. please i need to know. thanks

also, i completely disassembled my y8 head and am putting it back together now. i have the valve springs and cam in and try to put the rocker arm assembly on, but it won't sit flat, is that normal. there's nothing in the way or anything like that, but the whole unit won't sit flush, parts of it will but some won't. even if i tap it with a rubber mallet it still won't sit flat. do i just keep slowly tightening everything until it all sits flat? i'm afraid i'm going to break something because this is the first time i've done this on a honda. thanks guys

that's perfect! exactly what i was looking for! thanks a lot!

can anybody answer my question about the the rocker arm assembly? if not i'll start a new thread since it seems everybody's overloooking this subject. thanks

i got a chiltons, but it isn't very helpful.

i figured out the rocker assembly issue, it doesn't sit completely flat until you have everything tightened down. too bad my buddy's torque wrench isn't completely calibrated, resulting in me over-torquing the small outside bolts and snapping 3 of the 4. looks like i'm gonna hafta wait for some new bolts

Back