Yeah, i must be another retard

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TsaWind

Aight, I know I'm probably gonna sound like another idiot with a wanna-be swap going in their car, but at least hear me out.

I have a 1996 Civic DX Manual Coupe, I think with a d16y7? OBD2a
I threw a rod so I picked up a JDM B16a SIR II, OBD1 with the works on it.
I picked up the 99 civic SI rear mount, so it should bolt in fully now.

My question is what I should do about wiring, I have a p30 ecu, OBD1, but no harness between the b16 and the ecu. I was wondering if I should get the JDM wiring harness for it and extend the wires, but that proabably wont work because of the junction connector that goes to my dash because my car itself is actually OBD2a right??

Do I just have to take the harness, and injectors from my d16
Rewire the dizzy and all of the other plugs on the b16
And get a OBD2a to OBD1 jumper to use the p30, and wire in the nock sensor and vtec wire into the stock harness?

I can use the dizzy in the b16, just have to rewire the plugs on it for the d16 OBD2a harness right??

Originally posted by TsaWind@Aug 27 2005, 07:17 PM
Aight, I know I'm probably gonna sound like another idiot with a wanna-be swap going in their car, but at least hear me out.

I have a 1996 Civic DX Manual Coupe, I think with a d16y7? OBD2a
I threw a rod so I picked up a JDM B16a SIR II, OBD1 with the works on it.
I picked up the 99 civic SI rear mount, so it should bolt in fully now.

My question is what I should do about wiring, I have a p30 ecu, OBD1, but no harness between the b16 and the ecu. I was wondering if I should get the JDM wiring harness for it and extend the wires, but that proabably wont work because of the junction connector that goes to my dash because my car itself is actually OBD2a right??

Do I just have to take the harness, and injectors from my d16
Rewire the dizzy and all of the other plugs on the b16
And get a OBD2a to OBD1 jumper to use the p30, and wire in the nock sensor and vtec wire into the stock harness?

I can use the dizzy in the b16, just have to rewire the plugs on it for the d16 OBD2a harness right??
[post=546151]Quoted post[/post]​

Try to find a obd2a vtec harness that will make things a little easier for you, otherwise just use any obd2a harness plug in what plugs in and then cut and splice the appropriate plug from the obd1 harness onto the obd2 harness when the plugs to match up. All the sensors should be the same as far as wiring just have different plugs on it. You have two options as far as ecu. You could get the jumper harness or you could sell yours and get an obd2a b16 ecu or an obd2 p28 and have it chipped.

I didn't know there was a such thing as an obd2a b16 ecu or an obd2 p28. Are they JDM?

Thanks dudes, I rebuilt the dizzy on the b16 to use the obd2a wiring, and I started to put the d16y7 harness on the b16, is there a harness that I could use that will fit my b16a Sir II that is obd2a?? then I wouldnt have to wire in the nock sensor or vtec right??

Any1 with a b16a2 wiring harness please tell me, I will buy it from you, if that will work.

most of the wires seem the same on my harness as on the engine, but on some plugs there are extra wires on the engine compared to my harness. Any other help would be awesome. I am probably going to take the d16y7 alternator off and put it on the b16, I also changed the fuel injectors so they all plug into a obd2a harness now.

Any suggestions anyone??

I found a b16a2 harness on ebay

b16a2 harness

Will this all fit right in without any splicing of plugs ect? then I wouldnt have to wire the nock and vtec and it would all be obd2a correct??

sorry thats probably obd2b isnt it?? would that work into my 96 for the junction and get an obd2b to obd1 jumper to use my p30 ecu??

I found another harness on ebay out of a d16y8, that would work perfect wouldnt it? I would maybe just have to extend a couple wires

d16y8 harness

will a 99 HONDA CR-V CRV ENGINE WIRING HARNESS work on my b16a sir II?

CRV harness
any input would be awesome

oh, and why does it always look like there are only 2 connectors to the ecu and 1 jumper to the car in all of those harnesses? Is the just the way the pictures are taken and there are actually 3 connectors to the ecu and one junction to the car?

I sold a b16a2 harness, two of the plugs go into the ecu, and one of the plugs [the green one] goes into the car under the dash.
(My harness+ecu combo sold for $275 so be prepared to spend some $)
I haven't done this swap, but i would think the b16a2 harness should work out best for you.

Originally posted by scottp11@Aug 27 2005, 07:56 PM
I didn't know there was a such thing as an obd2a b16 ecu or an obd2 p28. Are they JDM?
[post=546159]Quoted post[/post]​

It was a simple assumtion as i have never personally owned a newer EX or an SI coupe.... So i guess i could be off on the numbers.

As far as your swap goes man. Just lay out both harnesses side by side. Label each sensor if you have a wire variance youll have to do get a diagram and run the wires appropriately. I wouldnt think that you would though. I would think that the only plugs that were different would be your injectors and your distributor. So i would use your obd2 harness. Plug up everything that will plug in, then cut the pulgs off of your JDM harness and use them on your obd2 harness.... It really should be that simple man. And of of course get the obd2a to obd1 conversion harness and youll be set. I just got done putting a obd1 h22 in a 97 hatch and thats exactly what i did.

try not to " plug in everything that will plug in" because its not really that simple. there are numerous plugs on a honda engine that can be mistaken and still plugged into the wrong sensor. i guess im just cheap, but i would use your stock engine harness and wire for vtec right off the conversion harness. oh yeah and dont worry about the extra plug left by where the alternator mounts up, you wont have a crank angle sensor to plug into on the b16. get yourself a good service manual and if you have any doubts as to which plug goes where, refer to the diagrams and compare wire colors to sensors

One thing i dont think u are understanding, there are two versions of OBD2. OBD2a is 1996 to 1998, OBD2b is 1999 and 2000. to use a b16a2 harness{from a '99-'00 civic si} you will need to use a jumper harness to convert it from OBD2a to OBD2b to use a '99-'00 civic si ecu, but since you have an ecu already, i would just get a jumper harness to convert it to match your OBD1 ecu you currently have. But you will benefit from getting the harness you are talking about out of a '99-'00 civic si. Plus you will not have to add any wires to the harness. http://locashracing.com/store/index.php?cPath=22 here is the link to get what you need....gl with your project.

Originally posted by becoming@Aug 29 2005, 12:39 AM
One thing i dont think u are understanding, there are two versions of OBD2. OBD2a is 1996 to 1998, OBD2b is 1999 and 2000. to use a b16a2 harness{from a '99-'00 civic si} you will need to use a jumper harness to convert it from OBD2a to OBD2b to use a '99-'00 civic si ecu, but since you have an ecu already, i would just get a jumper harness to convert it to match your OBD1 ecu you currently have. But you will benefit from getting the harness you are talking about out of a '99-'00 civic si. Plus you will not have to add any wires to the harness. http://locashracing.com/store/index.php?cPath=22 here is the link to get what you need....gl with your project.
[post=546454]Quoted post[/post]​

huh??

ok, lots of mis-info going around in here...

car: obd2a
motor: obd1

in addition to the rear mount, you will need the driverside mount by the timing belt as well. these are very different on ek's vs eg/dc chassis.

you have a p30- great.
buy an obd2a->1 conversion harness from rywire, jkobd, boomslang, etc...

use your stock dx harness. there is no way around this that is any easier.
plug in as much as you can. you already found the distributor has 2 vs 1 plug.. the injectors, vss, and alternator plugs will also need to be swapped. simply cut/paste the plugs from the motor onto your dx's harness. if your b16 didin't come with a harness, then you're going to have to get creative.

after that, you will need to run the wires for vtec and knock control.
refer to the article on our home page for the basic ideas. pinouts are located in the reference section.

and you're done.

Back