1991 civic wagon dead! I'm stumped

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

91civisedaner

Senior Citizen
So my friends '91 civic wagon has been having problems lately,It starts fine then after it warms up it will not restart!!! i have replaced the igniter,replaced the main relay,coil is brand new.it cranks over just won't fire,ihave checked for spark when it won't fire and it has spark,is the fuel pump bad?? should i check the timing belt for strech?? i'm f'in stumped....ECU?????:confused:

Well I'm not sure where you want to start but whenever I have a vehicle with a no start I always check to make sure I'm getting fuel and spark, so make sure you have both those, as well as good fuel pressure. Then we can go from there.

My sedan used to do that. Take an ohmmeter and check the resistance of the injectors. Mine was DPFI and the injector resistance specs are supposed to be .5 - 1.6 ohms, IIRC. I swapped out the injector that was reading high resistance (I think it was reading like 4.2 ohms) and now it starts up fine after it's warmed up. Hope this can help solve your problem...

had that with mine -- was told it was the o2 sensor but it wasn't -- vacuum regulator thing by firewall on drivers side -- rectangular shaped with hoses -- it's a thingy but I don't know its real name

Ascertain the Main Relay functions properly. Very common for 4th Gen civics.
When you turn the key to the "ON" position, you should hear 2 clicks from the relay. Alot of the time, the 2nd click will not happen, and you will not get spark or fuel delivery. There is a good write up somewhere on this.

Back