2011 Fishing Thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I havent been out salmon fishing this year but my dad went out a week or so ago and nailed this 35lb. King
267321_2007375822077_1174120685_31894704_2926539_n.jpg

That's a really nice looking fish.

I went to feed the fishes again, got the porgies to eat my sandworms, and then I got that monster bluefish to eat my porgies. They just seem to keep missing the fact that I put a hook there for them to bite on.

Bluefish+candy.jpg

If I find out that it has some boat braid, some power pro braid, a hook, a sinker, and a porgy in it... Then it was the monster I hit the other day. Too bad 55lb braid wont hold up to an 80 lb fish.

sure it will! thats what your reels drag is for! no bullshit, i have some pictures to prove it, i caught a 6ft reef shark, probably near 100lbs on 6lb test mono line with no leader. we chased the fish with the boat for miles, it took forever to wear it down but it gave up eventually. it was in 1998 in the keys, and i was fishing for speckled sea trout in crystal clear water... thats why the line was so light.

also a couple years ago landed a 150+ lb shark on 55lb braid. took over 30 mins.

just for scale, keep in mind that i am 6'2" 195lbs

shark001.jpg

hard to chase a fish in a kayak.... wearing down a fish would be wearing me down too....even if it dragged me. And my Shimano Baitrunners 6000D and 8000D works great..... if the fish are normal sized and aren't pumped up on PCB's and steroids.

Plus...this fishing stuff is new to me...well...salt water fishing. Back home in NM, the biggest fish would be something you didn't even want to begin with....and the tackle was cheap so pop the line.

I was actually offered last week a two week trip to West Palm Beach in two weeks for work. I turned it down because I had the Salem Kayak Tourney paid for and registered.

Picked up a St Croix Premier PC70MF casting pole and Abu Garcia Revo S reel this weekend at Cabela's, can't wait to try it out

That sounds like a good set-up.

StarDate: 20110810

After arriving to the blue spot at about 0715, no porgy bites. So I head over to Porgy hole two, nothing. Tried a new porgy hole, and yanked up a huge 14" fattie, and a few of it's smaller brothers. Went a few hundred yards, and the tide was right, the weather was great, and I had a hunch I would get something today.

Dropped, and drifted this time bouncing the guy on the bottom to get some attention...waited a few minutes, and got a bite. Then the line went dead. So I pulled it up, and saw the most amazing bite on the fish ever. The last bite was the tail chomped completely off, this time...I had a hook in the back and a treble hook in the tail of the porgy....and the damn blue fish bit the stomach completely out. Missed both hooks on purpose. I dropped the pole back into the water slightly so I can get my Iphone, so I can snap off another pic for facebook.... and then my rod goes crazy...I got another hit...in about 3 feet of water. I look down, and I guess that fish followed the bait up to the surface... And he took out another piece of the porgy...right in front of me. Then I look below that bluefish, and there is a swarm of them right under my kayak. Ohh great, and I have a stringer swinging underneath me loaded up with porgies...and thoughts of riding a bucking bronco came to mind. So I reach back and pull up the stringer and flop the safe porgies on the rear deck of the kayak, and look down again... I got two big blues going after the rest of the porgy...one hits it, and he just sits there. I give a yank to set the hook, and the fish just looked at me. I know I got him...he took off for a 20 second run, and I reeled him right back to where he was. He just wanted to chill in the shade of the yak.

I know enough to not try to land a large fish that didn't fight into the yak, so I let him chill there a while. And looking at the size of his mouth, I'll let him chill a little longer. I pulled the line up to bring his head out of the water...and he didn't like that....yup...he's still a green fish. So I give him some line to see if he'd run...he sank, but stayed right under the yak, so I pulled him up again....and this time he wanted to lunge into my lap. So I left him to chill a little longer. I glance down below him, his buddies left. I got some Boga type grippers, but putting them on this lit firecracker fuse...just didn't feel right for me. I'm about a half mile from shore, so I thought I'd take him for a walk... I think he rather enjoyed being towed.

About halfway back to shore, I remembered I had a net. So I grab it, and I thought I'd just be able to get his head in it, and maybe that would prevent any lunging attacks. As I put the net in the water, the dang fish went after it, and tried to bite it a few times... yup still green. But after a little polework and network, I got him in the net...and I had him good. I just continued on into shore so I can safely plier out the treble hook that was in his mouth...took some pictures, cracked a well deserved beer...and just remembered that I didn't bring a large cooler or any ice. So I gave him and the porgy to a guy I regularly see on the pier, and I said this is his payment for keeping an eye on my car.

Checkmate: First 33"er

100_0460.JPG

100_0461.JPG

100_0463.JPG

dang clayton seems like youve been having too much fun. so far this year, i had a couple weeks of good solid bass fishing about a month ago. now its just snags, sour faces and catching a good buzz.

i guess i need a kayak too.

thats a big ass bluefish! you dont see them like that down here. just little schoolie ones, maybe 3-4 lbs at the most. and they only show up in the winter months.

i went kayak fishing on tuesday this week. nothing picture worthy really, but the bass were biting! i tried out a new lake and found that it is full of bass. i caught 14 in 2.5 hours, now i just have to find the big ones :)

This bluefish is a schoolie!!! I had two good bites today by the bigger bluefish Nothin to see today. :(

Those style lures are nice until they get snagged on the bottom. I have lost a few of those in LI Sound

Well today was different...

2 13" porgy
1 13" summer flounder
1 small sea robin..... my first SR. such a strange fish...

100_0478.JPG

100_0479.JPG

100_0480.JPG

100_0481.JPG

100_0482.JPG

It's like an armadillo, duck, frog, fish, and scorpion all rolled up in one animal mass.

No Bluefish, no Striped Bass.

Tomorrow is a down day to pack for the weekend up in Salem, MA for a kayak striper bass tourney. I expect a lot of fun meeting about 130+ other kayak fishermen and fisherwomen, have a chance at another raffle for a new kayak or equipment... strippers and beer.... and yes, the spelling is correct.

MA was fun... I won about $130 worth of Aquaskinz stuff... no fish, but made a lot of friends, and got buzzed a few times.

Today...just got a 34" bluefish....they gettin' bigger.

100_0484.JPG

Back