91 Civic won't start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vic44

Hello all my 91 civic si won't turn over when it gets cold out. Dash lights lite up radio works headlights work. I've resorted to having to use a hair dryer to heat up underneath the dash on the drivers side and then it will start no problem. Pain in the ass when i leave work. In warm weather it starts every time no problem. Also when i put my lights on the RPM's drops and it idles really low. I also replaced the alternator and new belt.

Where should the idle be at on a 1.6L? 550 or 650?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I had a similar problem recently, try checking the negative ground for your battery cable. My connection had become rusted, so I just sanded & reattached it. Like you said, all my lights & electronics would work, but it wouldn't turn over. Not sure about the "heating up" under the dash though.

Matt

look for some loose grounds. make sure there aren't any shorts. check your fuses and make sure none are blown.

Make sure to check the wires going to the starter. Those come loose really easily on Civics, and sometimes get jammed up to the point that you think they're bolted down when they're really still loose. I've had that happen to me a few times.

I took out the main relay and it looks like the original part, kinda smells like burnt plastic. i'll hop over to a boneyard and try find another.

Q: Will a relay from another model civic for the same year work, or do i have to get one from the same model.

Thanks everyone who replied, its greatly appreciated. :worthy:

Vic.

I'm not sure if you can interchange between the DPFI and MPFI cars, but I think you can.

The safest thing to do it to get another one from a 90-91 Si (EX should work too, same engine), but you can always try one from another Civic to see if it will work.

You can also open up the relay and reflow the solder at all the connections to refresh the relay. Lots of people do that to just repair the relay on their own. You'll save about $40-50 doing this (price of a NEW relay).

Back