Airjockie's AE86 Engine Rebuild

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

amh.jpg

ami.jpg

amj.jpg

amk.jpg

aml.jpg

amm.jpg

amn.jpg

amo.jpg

Well...this morning, I had a little time to get back on it, so I did some stuff....I yanked the crankshaft pully off, and installed a new timing belt, then painted up the timing marks on the belt cover to see better for when I go to time up the engine. Then I pressed on and got the head gasket area cleaned up on the block, and tripple checked everything and went ahead and installed the head, torqued everything down to 30 ft pounds, then 38, the 40, then 44, and the final torque was at 45 foot pounds...that took a little time...but I think the effects of that torque will help out in the long run. then I went ahead and got the cam shafts ready to install, and I got 2 new camshaft seals and rtv'ed them camshaft retainers....and at that time...my back blew out...so I went to bed about 2:00 pm......and didn't wake up till 11:00 pm....so I finally got some sleep. Tommorrow I will finish up and get the header and the carbs back on, install the dizzy with a new seal that came in, finish up the cam gears, and get everything back together....and cross thy fingers and hope it works out.

good luck clayton. this car is killing you :( i want to see it run so bad also.

:) it ran...

But all kinds of new problems....

I got the cam shaft oil leak fixed...but now the front crankshaft seal is dripping....

holy compression as well....but I have a feeling something ended up wrong. The head gasket I got is .040 thick, a good decent thickness, but also the head was milled...it should have worked out to be about the same as the last setup...but this time...something is hitting....it roates nice for 3 of the four pistons....so I'm not sure if the mill job was a little off on one end, or something else....but I have a good knock when it's running....the timing was set at a good 35* BTDC as prescribed by one guy that sets up these type of cars...but it knocked to much, so I brought it back a little and the knock went away...but it's still there a tad, so I'm going to have to go thru and check the intire ignition system. But the car did have some balls when I went around the block, but it died about aa block away from the house and the battery was acting like it's dead. So I had to push the car home and charge the bat. Charged up..and runnig again, I was just courious about maybe the t-belt was to tight and the otherbelts...so I loosened them up a little and the car ran a little smoother. Then I hooked up the A/F meter and I actually had a reading this time, and I also hooked up a tach...and now I can see RPMS...then I decided to pull the plugs and #1 had some carbon, #2 had carbon but was burning off to a nice mint color on the tip...so # 2 is good....# 3 was sooty and #4 was solid black with carbon.

So tommorrow, I'l regap the plugs, clean them up, go thru the MSD SCI wires again, the dizzy wires, and try to locate the ECU test plug to get the timing advance system to function, and borrow a buddies pyrometer and try to set the car up on EGT temps...but the untuned short ride did give a little more pick up when the carbs transferred over from 20% throttle to WOT...and it pulled decently...a little slow...but I was also to rich...so I hope now I can somewhat tune it and just keep a bottle of oil in the car. I'll just drive it up to the new house, park it, get it ready for another engine swap if I can't get this new knock figuared out.

Fuck me....just don't even add any lube...I like it raw....

I just did another compression check...

#1 = 140 psi
#2 = 130 psi
#3 = 120 psi
#4 = 120 psi......

So comps are not to bad, it's livable...and runnable...if they ran good and had some miles on them...they would get better....thats not the problem anymore.

Since all the plugs were out again, I decided to rotate the crankshaft around....and it binds....not bad...but there is a deffinate amount of pressure on a certain stroke...so I put a long screw driver in the spark plug hole.....to watch where it binds.... It's binding where the #1 and #4 pistons are near BDC, and where #2 and # 3 are near the TDC.....I can live with a little binding...but not with that much force required to rotate it. So just out of couriosity....I pushed down on the pistons.....with the screw driver.....and all the pistons felt good except one......the #1 piston moved down about 2mm's and went CLUNK. I rotated it around again and clunk....clunk clunk clunk on each down stroke with the screw driver...so I can only think that the connecting rod nuts came loose and the rod cap is dragging on the side of the block inside.

So.....Rebuild time again....but fuck it...I'll just load the car up with as much shit from the garage and tow it up to the new house and worry about it after I get settled in and have real room to work on it....and an engine stand to do the work on.

So this ends the drama on the little rebuild that was done on the floor of a garage with no room to work around, cutting corners as much as possible to save money and to see if it could be done under the price of a case of spray carb cleaner and high temp engine paint. With the seals and head gasket leaking and the old used parts from a variety of engines...it's possible.....to build up a cheap engine, but the time and the room to do it, and the parts that deffinately needs to be changed during a rebuild was found. It's was a good learning experiance...and fun at times to do it.....but after almost 8 months of fucking around with it.....I lost the battle. So the next step is to just get the proper room, more of the proper parts, and more of the proper tools and equipment to do it. If I only had the machine shop that my dad had, then it could have been done in a few days...not months.

Hey dude whats up...man seems lik eyour going thru hell...you know what you can try is...Get under the car take off the oil pan, and tighten the cap from there...and while your under there you can inspec stuff...

Your compression Is kinda low...I have 205 psi on mine...well i did when i first rebuilt it...I dunno bout now...

Right now my car is giving timing problems and is leaking oil...it needs another valve adjustment b/c my dad lent the car to my bro in law and it was running low on oil so the shims wore down...

Anyways the engine is gonna get pulled out and put in my black car, I got a JDM GZE for it now...

Well GOod Luck man!

Thanks for the words...

but after a few days..it will be out of my hair....

it may be sold.... :( :)

Back