Anybody ever use Rosetta Stone?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

french is pretty easy, expect for verb conjugation. There's some weird stuff in there.

By the way, the BBC has some good language series, but if you want to learn German I find that Deutsche-Welle English has a free audio series that is pretty good.

The more languages you learn, the easier it becomes to learn languages. Everything "clicks". Check out Romanian. It's pretty simple, has rules much like English but it isnt' backwards like English is.

Oh yeah. English is spoken backwards.

lol
By the way, the BBC has some good language series, but if you want to learn German I find that Deutsche-Welle English has a free audio series that is pretty good.

The more languages you learn, the easier it becomes to learn languages. Everything "clicks". Check out Romanian. It's pretty simple, has rules much like English but it isnt' backwards like English is.

Oh yeah. English is spoken backwards.

.od i fi ti ot dnuora teg reven lli .flesym fo daeha raf oot teg ot tnaw tnod i tub ,selggig dna stihs rof tsuj ,nac i sa ynam sa gninrael no nalp i

Try Chinese :)

Mandarin is the official main dialect of China. There are hundreds, but Mandarin is it.
Here's my review...i used part of the mandarin rosetta stone, but i don't have enough time for it right now....

1) you get what you put into it. if you want to learn to count, colors, actions, common nouns, it's great. you MUST spend several hours a week working on it or it's pointless.

2) you need to use a headset and practice speaking it. it will only help...

I personally wouldn't pay the $3xx dollars for the program. It's wayyyy too much money for it. But if you can "borrow" it, then all the better.

You need a tutor to help you get around how to connect the words. it doesn't do any good to be able to say "10 red cars" if you don't have anything to apply it to.

Mandarin is tough as shit. there isn't a written form to help you learn the words like latin based programs. I'm not giving up on it, i just need more time right now.

yeah, im "borrowing" it from a "friend".
lol

i was thinking more like an hour a day, but a few hours a week works too.

you need about 2 hours every other day. if you don't use it frequently, you will forget it.

1) you get what you put into it. if you want to learn to count, colors, actions, common nouns, it's great. you MUST spend several hours a week working on it or it's pointless.

2) you need to use a headset and practice speaking it. it will only help...

I personally wouldn't pay the $3xx dollars for the program. It's wayyyy too much money for it. But if you can "borrow" it, then all the better.

1. yup, with anything, if you want to learn something it takes time and effort. It's like giving someone who has never seen what it looks like under a hood a book on how to rebuild motors then expecting them to know the ins and outs with one quick read over. Nope, doesn't work unless you put time into it.

2. Fuck the headset, I have a ear for sounds, I can hear something music wise and play it back the first time around on the piano with ease, I can hear someone say something in Spanish and I can say it back so it sounds the same, I'm told often that I don't have a gringo Spanish, I speak Spanish and sound like I'm from a Hispanic country.

Why am I going on this? because Rosetta stone + headphones is a piece of chit, Basic terms like hola, si, de, tu, mi, yada yada... will give me errors, sometimes I have to make a point to say something wrong in order for the mic to pick it up correctly. After about 2 weeks of using Rosetta stone I disabled the mic and said F it. IMO the mic is worthless.

3. $3xx is nothing when it comes to any program if it works, I paid $450 for level 1. 2. and 3. and I paid another 100+ for basic audio CDs and then another 100+ on books and to this day I buy any random english/spanish kids books I run across.

I'd gladly spend $1000.00 on ANY program if it were well rounded and covered all major things.

mandarin and spanish are VERY different though. the sounds and pronunciations are crucial. plus, unless you are around a language all day, you wont learn it as well.

and yes, i would spend $1000 to learn a language at a conversational level.

will rosetta stone get you there? no
will it help you learn vocabulary? yes

combine that with a tutor or being surrounded by the language 4 hours a day will get you fluent.

mandarin and spanish are VERY different though. the sounds and pronunciations are crucial. plus, unless you are around a language all day, you wont learn it as well.

and yes, i would spend $1000 to learn a language at a conversational level.

will rosetta stone get you there? no
will it help you learn vocabulary? yes

combine that with a tutor or being surrounded by the language 4 hours a day will get you fluent.

FTR I use to speak a good bit of mandarin, lost a lot of it since trying to knock out more Spanish but I can still speak enough to order some things, talk about my day, and so on. Trust me, I know the difference and again, the mic sucks fucking bawls, again you have to say (or at least in my case) I had to stay stuff WRONG in order for the mic to go, yup its right!

Now I'm working on Vietnamese and that's even worse then Chinese/mandarin such an ugly language.

P.S the most fun I've ever had with any language is going into Chinese restaurants asking for a menu, then saying no, I mean a real menu, do you have real Chinese food? They almost always say yes and hand the normal menu back to me, then at that point I'll ask them in Chinese for a (insert random dish) they get that holy shit look on their face and say, oh sorry no we don't have that we just do American stuff.

I can never get enough of it! even more so when white people are sitting around waiting for carry out.

i know, it doesn't take much to shock chinese people....

i went to a party at marsha's parents house recently. I was eating dinner and a lady comes up to me and says, "oh look, he can use chopsticks."

like, wtf. do i look like a barbarian caucasian? should i be eating with my hands out of a bowl on the floor?

i know, it doesn't take much to shock chinese people....

i went to a party at marsha's parents house recently. I was eating dinner and a lady comes up to me and says, "oh look, he can use chopsticks."

like, wtf. do i look like a barbarian caucasian? should i be eating with my hands out of a bowl on the floor?

What's sad is I use chopsticks about 90% of the time when I'm at home, I have like 23948092483 sets. I like chopsticks much more then forks. Its easier to pick stuff up rather then shove something into it.

russian is barbaric as fuck.
maybe not barbaric, but very blunt.

and nick, are you saying i shouldnt learn the basic vocabulary and such first?
cuz i dont know how im just going to jump into speaking a language without learning the basics first. its the same with anything.
im in a basic engines class right now, and i have to pass that before i move on to advanced engines.

and i poke things with forks, not push it around.. lol
i think you just need more practice.

Last edited:
and nick, are you saying i shouldnt learn the basic vocabulary and such first?
where did i say that?

i said it will teach you the common words like "ball, girl, colors, and how to count". but you can't learn to speak a language with rosetta stone alone.

you either need a tutor, or to speak the language 4 hours a day.

craigslist will hook you on some foreign language outings.. you can meet up with people and talk a foreign language over lunch, dinner... they are mostly coachs but. at least you are practicing

I can never get enough of it! even more so when white people are sitting around waiting for carry out.

Ah ha. That's the problem- you're going into "Chinese" restaurants that have white people in them. ;)

Ah ha. That's the problem- you're going into "Chinese" restaurants that have white people in them. ;)

There's ONE place around here that has legit Chinese food and thankfully I'm very good friends with the owner/head chef.

Outside of his place.... there's nothing. NYC would be the next best thing.

I have used the Rosetta Stone program.
I find it pretty easy to use and some of the phrases stick in your head so I would say go for it if you can't integrate yourself with the language you wish to learn.

I speak Spanish at home, been listening to the radio and watching more Spanish, and speaking Spanish with my gf. I am learning Korean with RS to be able to communicate; so far so good =D

Back