anyone have expr. with external IDE cases?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I've used a few of them all various manufacturers

I'm used this one Bytec: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817145342 works just fine, then I wanted one with a usb and firewire port so I've been using this one SYBA : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817186107

They both have worked fine, no drivers needed if it's winxp, nothing to install, etc... I also swap different drives in and out of these cases all the time, like if I have to back up data for a computer I'm working on.

I built my own. Wanna see it ?

Also, my project goals were simple: I was building two drives to hold Corporate record , Ghost images to be exact. They were constantly in use and we had lost our 4th drive in a year due to heat. So the project goals:

Aluminum housed
Fan cooled / Liquid cooled
USB2 and Firewire.

Well, wouldn't you figure - I couldn't find anything to meet all criteria. SO I built one !

Antec 5.25" bay dual 1" fan with digital temperature display
Coolercase Aluminum (With neat blue LEDS on the sides) drive bay, 5.25" for CD drive
3.5 to 5.25 Antec Heaksink adaptor

I put them in a supercollider and wound up with a beautiful invention that sticks around 30 degrees C under heavy use. The drive hasn't been replaced since.

Also, my dad uses this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817155211 and it's very good.

B.
Mine run 24/7, they both contain 300GB drives, I use them for my mp3 storage. They get heavy use as well, the computer they are connected to that Iplay music from downstairs and also they get a daily mirror to a remote PC on my home netwrok. I also stream music ofver a samba share for my laptop running linux to play my music wirelessly to my home stereo. so they get abused quite a bit and I've never had a problem

aren't there any externals like this that are/can be powered by USB?

I'd like to get one on the cheap...

The main thing I hear about External IDE's or USB/IDE's is that if you leave them on 24/7, they have been known to kill drives...

Quoted post[/post]]
aren't there any externals like this that are/can be powered by USB?

I'd like to get one on the cheap...
yes, but they are expensive..... and i already have a 160gb one thats full. i have this other drive just sitting there doing nothing full of mp3's, might as well put it to use.

Quoted post[/post]]
The main thing I hear about External IDE's or USB/IDE's is that if you leave them on 24/7, they have been known to kill drives...

lots of what i read on the revews where causing errors on the drive it self.... currpot file systems and shit. last thing i want to do is loose 250gb of ir-replacable rare trance tracks.

Quoted post[/post]]

Quoted post[/post]]

lots of what i read on the revews where causing errors on the drive it self.... currpot file systems and shit. last thing i want to do is loose 250gb of ir-replacable rare trance tracks.

please re-read what I have said about my experience, my drives have been running well over a year 24/7 and not a single problem.

Quoted post[/post]]

diagram.gif

Quoted post[/post]]

Nope. The drive doesn't know what it's plugged into, so it doesn't matter.

I bought a $25 Kingwin piece off Newegg, and it's worked perfectly. Whatever you do, just don't buy IDE stuff from Geeks.com. They have great deals on a ton of stuff, but NONE of the IDE adapters I've ever bought from them in the last 7 years has worked.

I know the drive doesn't know what its plugged into.. But just because it doesn't know what its plugged into, doesn't mean its not seceptable to static, over/under voltages, wrong amperages, line noise, etc...

And B... 250gb of trance? Who cares! As long as 2mb of it is good, you are all set.. The rest is just the same shit over and over again!

Quoted post[/post]]
I know the drive doesn't know what its plugged into.. But just because it doesn't know what its plugged into, doesn't mean its not seceptable to static, over/under voltages, wrong amperages, line noise, etc...

Then there's something wrong with that particular setup, not all external cases in general.

Quoted post[/post]]
And B... 250gb of trance? Who cares! As long as 2mb of it is good, you are all set.. The rest is just the same shit over and over again!

i bet you haven't heard of 225 gb of it. people who say it all sounds the same don't know what trance is.

Quoted post[/post]]
IN before B explodes.

no explosion here. carry on. nothing to see.

I have personally see 5-10 different drives go corrupt, all in different External IDE Cases..> Usually after 3-6 months of nonstop use.

B... Spend $15 on an external IDE Case, then buy a nice external IDE DRIVE, and copy it all over.

ghey.

ive had an external case for about 2 years, and its only off during power outages. its a cheap tigerdirect $10 shitter.

no failure.

noah = failure.

:werd:

They're not hard to use, and there's not really much to them. Just stick to the main name brands and you'll be fine.

Back