Apexi Vafc 2

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Mike_995

Basically, i have a built LSVTEC setup, stg 2 cams 12.6 mm lift on the intake side, 11.9 on the exhaust, 11.4:1 comp, B16 head with polished ports, shotpeened rods, and its borred to 81.5 mm.
How safe is the stock ecu going to be in regards to detonation ?.
I was looking at pherable.nets products and they do custom basemaps for your engine setup, How safe are they gonna be ?.
And also looking at the Apexi vafc2, looks pretty good for the price am I right in assuming it would be good enough for my setup ?.

Mind you im not looking to acheive 5 more whp from tuning, I just want a detonation safe setup, im pretty sure I can probably do that by simply retarding the ignition timing on the dizzy and listening for knocking. Because im not running a turbo setup, i doubt ill need that extensive of a tune, its just a street car.

Thanks alot
Mike

the vafc will be fine for a budget. you will be able to tune it to avoid detonation and get some better gas mileage. remember, this isn't the first option, it's the budget option.

Yea but in NS canada there isnt alot of dyno tuners, or even tuners for that matter. I know of one guy, ill have to get a price from him, he only does hondata though.. so its not gonna be cheap.

Last edited:
The budget option is NOT a safc or vafc. Not to mention a Safc/Vafc cant tune timing. AFR tuning will help but not going to prevent det/knock.

Get a chipped Ecu as stated above and there is a lot of basemaps on xenocron.com. Crome is pretty easy to learn to tune on. :)

Last edited:
The budget option is NOT a safc or vafc. Get a chipped Ecu as stated above and there is a lot of basemaps on xenocron.com. Crome is pretty easy to learn to tune on. :)
i guess you would have to compare the two. a $125 vafc and an hour dyno should cost under $200. i dont know how much chipped P28's with basemaps go for these days.

The budget option is NOT a safc or vafc. Not to mention a Safc/Vafc cant tune timing. AFR tuning will help but not going to prevent det/knock.

Get a chipped Ecu as stated above and there is a lot of basemaps on xenocron.com. Crome is pretty easy to learn to tune on. :)

What about the phearable ecus ?, 100 $ for my p06 switched to p28, with a custom basemap for my application... seems pretty good.

I agree :)

I didnt realize the vafc was that cheap, I paid like 225 for the safc2 but that was a few years ago too.

i think you can get a used one for that price. i know they are still around 250 new.

Ok heres another question, what would I need to tune by my self. My dad has been a mechanic for 30 years, and knows quite a bit about af ratios and ignition timing. He could probably tune it, im looking around moates.net, im assuming I can tune with just the burn1 chip burner,honda chip kit, vtec conversion kit, and crome, or uberdata. Or do i need the ostrich 2.0 emulator ?

The ostrich is nice but not required. If you dont get it you will have to burn chips each time to change the tune. Not a huge problem but not as easy as just doing it real time. With the ostrich, you can leave it in the car. No buying a chip burner or chips then. You just plug into the ostrich and tune the car.

I would recommend at least a wideband and something to monitor knock. Start with 12.5:1 throughout the powerband and monitor knock. If knock is present, pull timing back slightly in that area and re-run. If you want a lil more power, lean out to 13:1, just keep an eye on knock and make sure youre running some good gas!

So basically this is what I need, chip burner, honda chip kit, vtec chip kit, and to start learning how to tune. Or does the ostrich enable me to burn basemaps to the ecu without the use of a chipburner ?

Last edited:
Yea it most likely will be cheaper to just get someone to tune it, however if they dont have the hardware to use chrome, ill have to get the s100 unit from hondata. If they do have the hardware to use crome all Ill have to do is get the ecu chipped, which would be nice. Ive been poking around on pgmfi.org, and looking at the xenocron ecu tuning beginners guide, and it seems pretty involved.

Bomb, this is getting a little bit more simple. Ill have to get in contact with that guy to see what he thinks. In the mean time ill try and learn alittle on my own.

Back