ATT- Shop Guys. How much for this job?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
Take the powertrain and drive train (engine, trans, axles, suspension) from a Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ) and make it fit under a 1961 Willys Wagon.

How much would you guys charge for a custom job like this? Better yet, how much do you think a mechanic should charge to do it in his spare time? I figured I'd buy a running ZJ straight out so that all the necessary parts were already there. Obviously I'd like to do it myself, but I currently don't have the room, tools, or frankly the ability to do it.

Thoughts, questions, concerns welcome.

A lot of beer and some cash Thats how my stepgrandfather's brother got his Porsche restored. The mechanic did it after hours for beer and some spending money.

My guess is its going to be hard to estimate time. There are a ton of variables with this large of a swap. With the swap are you going to be running a carb setup or going to fuel injection? Might be easier to swap a carbed 350 in there. Your best bet is to find a jeep guru who knows about these swaps.
IS dong this a common swap?

It's not a common swap. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen one like it. I just wanted to take the character of the Willys and add the availability, repairability, and reliability of the Jeep.

I contacted a few guys who post on craigslist looking for side jobs. Only one responded with $3k plus parts. IDK, not sure if that is even a reasonable quote.

reliability of the Jeep.
lmfao... i guess its a jeep thing
its really hard to price something like this out but you're talking a shit ton of custom work and more than likely a shit ton of custom parts
i only know a handful of people i would even let attempt something like this
you're gonna get some jim-bob hack that thinks he can throw it together, and he'll get in over his head, take your money, and get buried by the job

weren't the willy's straight axles in the front?

I'd need to see previous work/an ability to fabricate to even think about just handing cash over. This was simply my plan for the Willys. I just don't have a place to keep it and work on it. But it looks like I have a buyer for it. Time to let someone else actually do something with it.

And the ZJ had solid axles front and rear with the Quadra-link suspension. Basically a 4 bar front and rear, with a panhard rod, and springs. I thought out and researched the donor vehicle for this project.

When it comes to zj's, if you have to ask, you can't afford it....

:ph34r:

Back