Aurora Borealis

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Unfortunately, the best aurora are during the dead of winter when it's -40F. The summer is when everyone comes to Alaska, because that's when you can be outside without dying, but it's daylight 24hrs so you'll never see it then. I wouldn't recommend coming in the winter, unless you REALLY want to see them, because there's not much else worth doing that time of year.

I once dreamed I built a heated, enclosed tent/shelter with an acrylic dome for a roof and was sitting in it in the middle of the Alaskan wilderness, watching the aurora while comfy warm.

Unfortunately, the best aurora are during the dead of winter when it's -40F. The summer is when everyone comes to Alaska, because that's when you can be outside without dying, but it's daylight 24hrs so you'll never see it then. I wouldn't recommend coming in the winter, unless you REALLY want to see them, because there's not much else worth doing that time of year.

Oh, I know.

I've always wanted to go to AK in the winter.

Me too! And hunt a moose with Sarah Palin.

Back