AutoMeter wiring ...Idol at 2500 RPM?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Vtecmonster08

Vtecmonster
I have the autometer tach with the yellow shift light, i think its the procomp model, but anyway when i turn on the car it reads the RPM's at 2,500 RPM at idol and that dont sound right. Is there a way to calibrate the needle or is there a reset button on this bitch or what?all comments welcome.

It shouldnt be off, do you have a factory tach in your cluster or not? And is your car idleing high (by the sound of it)? And did you follow the instalation instructions? I know on mine there was two wire loops hanging out of the back of the tach. (Orange and brown) For V8s you dont cut either, for V6 you cut one (cant remember if it was the brown or orange) and for a 4 banger you cut both loops.

Last edited:
On the back of the tach that I had it had a switch that you had to point to the # of cylinders. Check that and also if there is the loops like EFhondakid said try those as well.

Both are hooked up right now thats how I knew that the Rpms were off because in my dash its at like 800 rpm which is perfect i guess, but the tach came off a OLD VW Buss so shouldnt the wire's be precut right already?And there is no switch on the back of the tach. Anyone?

Back