axle question for ZC transmission

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kmoallem

Hello,

I have a chance to pickup a ZC transmission, intermediate shaft and axles. The donor vehicle is a 92 Civic hatch. I was wandering if I could reuse the axles in my 1989 CRX Si. Does anyone know if the axles would fit? And if it doesn’t … it’s the 89 Integra axles that I need … right?

[FONT=&quot]Much thanks
biggrin.gif
[/FONT]

:no: :no: and :no:

You can't use your old axles- you need equal length axles now. Your stock Si transmission doesn't use an intermediate shaft, so if you used your old axles, your driver's side axle would be about a foot and a half too long.

This is what happened when I used 89 Integra axles in my ZC transmission:

https://hondaswap.com/~mike/crx/wrong_axles/

The text may not show... if it doesn't, you'll have to highlight the top section to read it. It's old. I think I ended up using 90-93 Integra axles.

As for removing bearing seals, it helps if you're having clearance issues with the hub end of the axle. It's more of a dust ring though- I wouldn't remove any actual seals.

Thanks for the reply Calesta … your link answered my second question (about the 89 Integra axles). But, for my first question … I wasn’t asking if I could use the Si axles on the ZC trans. What I’m asking is if the entire package (axles, intermediate shaft and ZC transmission) coming out of a 92 Civic would fit my 89 CRX. I’m asking this because i know that the two cars are from to different generations of the civic. I guess I can rephrase my question by asking: Are 4th and 5th generation Civic axles compatible?

[FONT=&quot]Thanks a lot for the link … I certainly don’t want that to happen to me :eek:
[/FONT]

Sorry, I don't have one... but bump for you so you can find one.

Thread crappers, this is a zombie thread- but he's definitely on topic! ;)

this is the intermediate shaft for the 88-91 JDM ZC L3 transmission - only JDM ZC will work

ZCintshaft-2.jpg

these are the axles used with the 88-91 intermediate shaft - they are 90-93 Integra axles, one left (on bottom) and one right (on top) - 86-89 Integra axles will not work - they are too short

90-93TegAxles.jpg

this is the intermediate shaft for the 92-95 JDM ZC S20 transmission - only JDM ZC will work

obd1shaft-2.jpg

this is the driver's side axle used with the 92-95 intermediate shaft (passenger side axle is 90 and up Integra) - you must get a custom axle for the driver's side when using this intermediate shaft - there are no USDM axles that work

94upTegAxle.jpg

Back