B16 swap, Power Steering Problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ef9civicgen4

Okay im having someone help me install a b16 into my 89 Civic. and i just got a call from him, and he said that my power steering isnt fitting. he said i might need a manual rack, cuz the other one is hitting something on the engine bay.

if it matters i am also doing a auto to manual conversion, and im using hasport mounts.

so has anyone else had a similar problem? what are some things we should try to make it work?

Please Help!

did your 89 hb have power steering..? :blink: If i remember the power steering was too big.. I left mine out. hell it dont take much to turn the little cars... hummm Most 4th gens didnt have power steering.. you dont need it....

it has stock power steering. i know its not that bad without it when your moving, but i drove an integra that didnt have PS, and it was a bitch to turn if the car wasnt moving.

can you remember anyway that you could have kept it when you did your swap? i really would prefer having it.

and the AC is already gone, i didnt even use it when it was in the car.

did a little research and found out a few things. Since my car is setup for power steering it is designed to only operate easily with power steering. i guess the ones with power steering have less gears and use a pressure system (power steering) to help the car turn. the ones without power steering have more teeth on the gears so it takes less work to turn but more movement of the steering wheel to turn. like a simple machine.

we were tring the b16 pump but it was too big and the compressor wheel hit. the stock one didnt have the same mount, but the wheel is smaller. so do you think it would work if we used the b16 mount with the stock compressor.

:again, im not sure of the proper tech. names for all these parts. im just guessing as best as i can. so please, no flaming:

well i had PS in my car and i swapped to b16 and i just ditched that shit i dont have any help for you sorry from what i know its a bitch. but i have heard they make new brackets to use the old PS or was that AC mmm not sure cant remember sorry

Don't be a wuss. Just drive without it, a little workout while you drive never hurts anything y0!

something about JOEL's gay...

where you bypass the powersteering bump i believe. Dont be a bitch Joel get rid of the PS.

Originally posted by LeanMeanMarine@Feb 13 2004, 11:17 AM
something about JOEL's gay...

where you bypass the powersteering bump i believe. Dont be a bitch Joel get rid of the PS.

what tha fuck!!! Brian what the hell are you doing posting on hondaswap. did the marines send you home for being sick?

looping is where you have only a little fluid in the lines, you cut hose that goes to the PS pump, then loop it with the resivior. There are a bunch of how to's to do it all over the internet.

When you have less fluid in your lines, it is easier to turn. If you just take the belt of your PS pump, it is very hard to turn. Once you get used to no PS, it feels weird to drive a car with it.

yea mand the PS and AC is for wimps, yea turing the wheel in the CRX might be a lil hard at first but after a month it doesnt even phase u. and it is much more responsive stearing. and like i said after a month u can like turn the wheel with ur index finger. and ac?!?!? comon, put the window down and put ur head out to cooll down. this past summer it was in the mid to upper 90's all summer suck it up boys, haha.
Tyler

when i did it to my civic i had to take off the power steering cooler and lines that go in front of the radiator. and use the b16 power steering pump, because the my d series pump would not mount to the engine, also had to use the teg power steering line that goes from the pump to the power steering rack. had to use the teg line because the civic one was to short and faced the wrong way .the power steering lines from a 90-91 teg fit on the b16 power steering pump

Back