B18/B20, GSR rod specs PLEASE

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

78civic

good afternoon guys n gals..

I'm looking into getting some GSR H-beam rods and thought that they would work in either the B18 or B20 blocks that I have.
The person states that his 'shop' told him the GSR rods were slightly thinner than the 18/20's, and wouldnt' work in my applications.
I never had a GSR-anything so I don't know about them.

The reason i'm leaning to get aftermarket rods was because the pistons I found to raise the compression are all floaters, and I've been told NOT to bush stock Honda rods.

SO.. Are GSR rods thinner (at the crank pin end) or the same as the B18/B20 in any/all dimensions?

Thank you for any helpful input.

E

here's a good site to find answers to all your questions
Honda B-Series Compression Calculator by ZealAutowerks

wait after reading the question... if using aftermarket pistons get aftermarket rods too, if you want to boost compression and use stock rods, you can use oem pistons from motors with higher compression. what motor do you have and what compression are you seeking i;d be able to tell you how to achieve you goals with more info

It's a toss up between the B20 and B18.. (car is a 90 civ 4dr)
Either would have to be na since I NEED air cond down here and I don't think a turbo would fit.
And mileage would be the next item. I'm getting over 35 now but my 89 prelude is a b20a and was getting in the upper 20's if I remember right. BUT it's alot heavier car too.
I'd like the B20 for torque and just because it's different around here and already have most the parts.
B18 because in theory it would get better mileage and again, have most all the parts.
I'd love it to work out that I could build up a decent b20b with about 175-190hp 180-200ftlbs, that gets around 30mpg..
Any will have headers (free large exhaust), port/polish, mild cams, Larger T/B, LS gearing and about 26+" 15" tires..
I dont' think that I'll be that far off. Just dont' want to end up with a gas hog that gets low 20's

SO, waddyathink?

E

Well if you for with a b20b just stick with the stock 5.394in rods and use p72 (84mm)OEM piston that are press fit. p72-A0 (USDM) will give you about 10.7:1CR while JDM P72-00 pistons will give you about 11.3:1 or p73-a0 (type-r) pistons will give you about 11.8CR I would think you would be around 160-180 hp but torque will be like 145-160 or so. With Hondata, E-85 and a tune you will get closer to 200+hp all-motor

Last edited:
So, P72's (A0, 00) = what year/model honda?
I just need to know what suffix denotes what so I can ask my supplier and get the right parts and not have to pay a restocking fee.

Thanks for the link but it just shows engine code, no years/models though.
I thought about getting the 81mm, P73's and milling off about .03 or so from the dome.

Thanks again. E

Back