B18C (GSR) vs B18C (Type R) into EK

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have a 96 Civic EX. I want to do a B18C swap but I am now wondering if i'm wasting money shooting for the Type R. I can get the full swap everything needed including HASPORT mounts and brand new 32MM axles for $5075 for the 98+ Spec Type R. Now the GSR motor is something like $1500 cheaper? Am I better off saving the $1500 and building the GSR? I really need help and personal experiences on this one. Would you spend $5075 for a swap into a 96 Civic? Should I go cheaper and turbo? It is my daily driver so it is a must that it will start and go everyday without problems. I was told by a few dont boost if its your daily driver unless you have more money to spend on rebuilding it to be reliable. So what do I do? I need to know before Friday. Also I have never in my life done a swap so I have no clue what I am doing. I called a shop and they said $750 and that includes making me the new B piping to match up. Still that is a lot of money spent that I could have saved. I need the exhaust done but how much could that be? I figure they charge $500 to swap and $250 for exhaust? IDK another shop told me $400 to swap. Can I do it myself or am I going to be sititng in front of my car with a handfull of wires wondering where everything goes? I could save $300 if I dont get the HASPORT mounts.

TorontoJDM has a sale on a 96-97 spec ITR swap complete with LSD trans, $3850 shipped anywhere in the US. I would buy that. Pay someone who has experience to do the swap, for you will run into more headaches and break things in the proccess. Saving 1500 bucks means nothing if you plan on building the gsr motor, simply because it will cost u much more to build the gsr being you will be paying for machine work and labor ontop of parts. You can safely turbo a gsr OR ITR motor when done properly and tuned properly. The best route for your budget, in my eyes, is the JDM ITR SWAP from TorontoJDM...

TorontoJDM has a sale on a 96-97 spec ITR swap complete with LSD trans, $3850 shipped anywhere in the US. I would buy that. Pay someone who has experience to do the swap, for you will run into more headaches and break things in the proccess. Saving 1500 bucks means nothing if you plan on building the gsr motor, simply because it will cost u much more to build the gsr being you will be paying for machine work and labor ontop of parts. You can safely turbo a gsr OR ITR motor when done properly and tuned properly. The best route for your budget, in my eyes, is the JDM ITR SWAP from TorontoJDM...

thank you for the quick reply and good reply. I was looking for the 98+ spec and I have never heard of TorontoJDM bu I have now. Too bad I didnt live up there anymore it would be a breeze to go pick it up myself but now i'm about 1400 miles south. does this site have rep or something for good posts?

Your welcome... the 96-97 jdm itr is a great motor, yields just about the same power as the 98+ spec, just a slightly lower lift/duration camshaft.. And yes, this site does have reputation... If you look to the left where my user name is, at the bottom are 3 icons... click the one in the middle that looks like a white scale..

Just curious how much could I sell the ITR factory engine mounts, 36mm axles, and shifter/shift linkage? I'm just trying to figure out my deal. $300? or is that low. Also what do brand new 32mm B series axles cost?

Damn Fox I didnt know you were on here to!

Ive been trying to sell my JDM type R ECU the one with no immoilizer for 60 bucks, Ive also been trying to sell the JDM 36mm axles that came with my swap for 50 bucks. My swap did not come with mounts or linkage, but I wouldnt have been able to use them anyway. You dont absolutely have to go with the name brand mounts, I opted for them, because our CRX may be featured in a magazine once it gets it paint and bodywork.

Last edited:
Back