Best Car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Silverchild79@Apr 26 2003, 11:09 AM
Porche boxter motor V Mopar motar (w' rod launcher assecory)

:wtf:

subarus dont come with a porsche engine

they have what they call a BOXER engine its a "DOHC 16V Horizontally Opposed High Output 4 Cylinder"
here is the basic layout of a subaru 4cylinder engine :

PistonHoriz.jpg

the porsche boxster has a flat 6

similar layout but that pretty much where the similarities end

They melt, simple as that. Those motors need replaced every 30k miles, they are gorgeous cars and can be very fast but they are less reliable than a DSM. If you meet someone that has owned their RX7 for more than 3 years or 30K miles I can show you someone who's already replaced a motor. I know three people that have had them, the last generation, and all three have replaced the motor already once.....they melt, there is soooo much heat under that hood that they melt, it's a design flaw with a turbocharged rotary, melting :)

-Matt
you don't have to replace the entire motor. yes the apex seals melt and need to be replaced every 25,000-45,000 miles but its like an $800 job at a a shop. If you have the money to buy an rx7 blowing $800 every three years or so isn't to bad

you don't have to replace the entire motor. yes the apex seals melt and need to be replaced every 25,000-45,000 miles but its like an $800 job at a a shop. If you have the money to buy an rx7 blowing $800 every three years or so isn't to bad

Gotta agree with him on this one. If you can afford the upkeep, the 3rd gen RX-7 is badass.

Just guessing, but perhaps there can be some modification to run the engine @ cooler temps...could always do some research. There are shit loads of forums dedicated to that car.

Just my two cents.

I also agree with the M3. Fucking awesome car.

Originally posted by jeff+Apr 26 2003, 06:46 PM-->
Originally posted by E_SolSi@Apr 26 2003, 04:31 PM
wildbillhatchbac
@Apr 26 2003, 02:07 PM
:worthy: E36 M3

:werd: :withstupid:

:werd: I still sometimes regret not buying one instead of my truck. I sometimes want to sell the truck, since I rarely drive it anymore, and sell the crx to get am m3 and a used truck.

how are you going to tow your boat with an ///M3????

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 26 2003, 10:27 PM
how are you going to tow your boat with an ///M3????

get am m3 and a used truck

maybe with the USED TRUCK

phonics.gif

Well sure, if $800 every 30k is no big deal since an RX7 is so nice, I said they were nice cars and could be insanely fast, but they do melt, if it's the $800 apex seals or the overheated, detonation riddled entire motor....they melt. Anyone that thinks $800 is reasonable upkeep every 30K miles makes significantly more than I....Again, show me an RX7 owner and I will show you someone who has spent entirely too much for what they drive if they have had it for any significant amount of mileage, and don't try to drive it more that an hour in 90 degree weather with the AC on :D

-Matt
1997 Spyder GST - 12's
1994 Civic CX - D16Z6 swap

Originally posted by Spyderturbo@Apr 26 2003, 09:31 PM

Well sure, if $800 every 30k is no big deal since an RX7 is so nice, I said they were nice cars and could be insanely fast, but they do melt, if it's the $800 apex seals or the overheated, detonation riddled entire motor....they melt. Anyone that thinks $800 is reasonable upkeep every 30K miles makes significantly more than I....Again, show me an RX7 owner and I will show you someone who has spent entirely too much for what they drive if they have had it for any significant amount of mileage, and don't try to drive it more that an hour in 90 degree weather with the AC on :D

-Matt
1997 Spyder GST - 12's
1994 Civic CX - D16Z6 swap

now you're singin' a different tune... like three posts ago you were sayin' that you had to replace the whole engine every thrity thou. miles... you're a kook.

i say third gen rx7 for sure... they're pimp as all hell... and fast.

Yeah I like the mini cooper's personally. Nothing else on the market is like them to me. Totaly unique and there should be good support for modifications to come also.

Originally posted by kylemarhx@Apr 26 2003, 10:40 PM

i don't fit in it. my head hits the ceiling. im 6'1
i could never drive that, and be happy- no matter how fast it is.

that, and he said NEW car.

Originally posted by Slammed89Integra@Apr 26 2003, 11:20 PM
Yeah I like the mini cooper's personally. Nothing else on the market is like them to me. Totaly unique and there should be good support for modifications to come also.

there is already a turbo package for the Mini Cooper (102 hp?) that boost the HP to 200hp and mini is thinking about adding a new branch called mini WORKS. It is a head package along with some other mods (bigger supercharge pully, better suspention/brakes ect.) that will increase the cooper S ratings to 200hp and best part of all, will not effect the warrante because only mini dealers can get ahold of this. (about 4k for the package and can be put on both new and pre owned minis) Also, the Stock Mini Cooper in autoX is dominating its class because it is in H-Stock (lowest possible, same class as just about every other Stock honda (minus and DOHC VTEC ones) The 102 hp wont win in the straits but doing 40 around corners with no body sway will. Also the braking is great. It has the same braking distance as the 911.

About the Neon, yes, it is fast and impressive but NA neon lasts 50k tops with no problems, at boost to the already shitty quality and your talking drive 100 miles off the showroom floors and you just blew your engine. To quote a great man,
If you put a turbo on a peice of cat shit, it will still be a peice of cat shit

now you're singin' a different tune... like three posts ago you were sayin' that you had to replace the whole engine every thrity thou. miles... you're a kook.

Is it just me or is $800 sounding pretty close to the cost of a new motor or at least a new short block. Do you know how much work is entailed in replacing the apex seals on a rotary motor? You may as well be putting in a new motor because that is essentially what is being done, it is a total re-build and if it gets hot enough the entire motor will need to be replaced, because of it getting warped. Don't try to be a dick and slam people, and don't call me a kook.....

-Matt

Originally posted by Spyderturbo@Apr 27 2003, 02:29 PM

Is it just me or is $800 sounding pretty close to the cost of a new motor or at least a new short block. Do you know how much work is entailed in replacing the apex seals on a rotary motor? You may as well be putting in a new motor because that is essentially what is being done, it is a total re-build and if it gets hot enough the entire motor will need to be replaced, because of it getting warped. Don't try to be a dick and slam people, and don't call me a kook.....

-Matt

thats $800 including labor, replacing the engine would cost more in parts alone, when you own an exotic sports car upkeep costs more. either way hondacharges like $600 for a 30,000 mile check-up so its really not that bad. replacing the apex seals isn't all that hard as rotory engines are pretty easy to work on

dodge vehicles ...most of them anyways always break .... imo ...i work at an auto shop and thats how we get most of our income !!! dodge vehicles !!!! ..imo i would never buy a dodge in my life unless its one of the classics ....built much better in the old days..

Originally posted by sake@Apr 27 2003, 05:20 PM
dodge vehicles ...most of them anyways always break .... imo ...i work at an auto shop and thats how we get most of our income !!! dodge vehicles !!!! ..imo i would never buy a dodge in my life unless its one of the classics ....built much better in the old days..

however, since you work at one, you recommend dodge's to eveyone you dont like in hopes they will come to your shop :)

A co-worker of mine is a huge Dodge/Chrysler fan, and even HE got rid of his Neon because it sucked. Just because you slap a turbo on it doesn't mean it sucks any less.

To pick a ghey Neon over a WRX is the wrong choice IMO. I'm not even talking performance. So what if it's cheap? Kia's are cheap too.

Back