Blowing oil smoke on the decel???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

UNDR8D

...has a job!
I have been driving my LS swapped 95 coupe for about a month. Since I started driving it, I have been catching faint whiffs of oil smoke. but never thought anything of it. I recently took it on a road trip from OH to NH and back, about 12 hours each way. It was a joy to drive even for that long. I noticed though, that when I downshift on deceleration, like 4th to 3rd, usually on a downhill, that once I am in 3rd, there is a medium sized puff of oil smoke coming from the rear. Then it is gone. It doesn't smoke on acceleration, at idle, or any other time really. Just on a downshift and it seems like traveling downhill is a factor. I'm thinking valve seals, but, I don't really know. I will probably end up rebuilding the head when I do cams and springs. Just curiuos if anyone else had experienced this strange occurence. I've seen plenty of Hondas blow little puffs between gears because they are beat ass over-driven rice turds. Mine does not do this. Strange.....

It is your piston rings. I had a similiar problem which escalated into a more embarrassing situation. If the engine had more than 2 quarts of oil in it, massive clouds of smoke would emerge from the tail-pipe periodically, even at idle. But it all started when my friend (driving behind me) noticed smoke when I downshifted to make a slight turn. I suggest, on your next oil change, to put a bottle of Lucas oil in with the new oil. This will not fix your problem, but it will buy you some extra time hopefully not damaging your rings anymore than they already are.

Sweet. 50,000 mile motor my ass. Well, I guess I'm doing p30's with ARP hardware now. I suppose I'll take it easy on her until I tear it apart for a rebuild. You said it was bad with anything more than 2 quarts. Similarly, I noticed the problem lessens when I lose 1/2 quart.
Totally unrelated, I'm doing some googling but I thought I'd ask. With the key out, the heater control lights and the blower still function. My initial thought is ignition switch but I have more detective work to do. Asking in case anyone has experienced this. This is my first Honda and I realize that every vehicle has it's share of usual suspects. Thanks again.

I will be sure to hone. I will measure the bore and if possible, just do a slightly oversized ring. I got the engine off ebay from Sunrise Motors or something like that. It came from Canada but is "JDM" because it had the reverse wiring harness still attached, and supposedly, it had under 50k. I believe it was more like 80-100k, just judging by the acccumulation of carbon in the exhaust ports, and dirt elsewhere. After they pressure washed it it looked like it had 20k thoug. Although, like you said, someone could have just beat the piss out of it. And as for the other problem, yes, it is odd. I have a feeling the solution will involve a couple hours of alone time with my multi-meter in some awkward positions...

Back