Body Kits: Fiberglass vs. Urathane

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm Thinking about getting a Wings west RS kit for my 91 CRX and I wanted to know what I should get it in, Fiberglass or Urathane? I want to know the differnces, whats last longer, whats stronger, which is Lighter? everything,

Thanks for the help Guys

Personly i like both. The way i see it though is if you plan on being lower and a lil rffer with oyur car go urathane, and if your gonna take it easy and be real nice to your car and not go real low get fiber glass. The only reason i say this is cause i just baught a 97 integra GS-R its about as high as my moms accord is and i some times dont take the time to slow down enough for a perfect pullin on a drive way and small shit like that, in my moms car i shit bricks and was real careful. Now see hers has a full bomex fiberglass kit and its low, both of ares are but she uses hers like a daily driver nice smooth and pimp. Me, well my cars a sports car to me, i drive it harder then i would if it was a beater for back and forth to work or even a luxery car. So if you have fun in your car and bounce around a lil get the urathane.

Im sure some one else can get into the TECH part of it i just thought you might wanna see what some ones opinion might be from a point of veiw of just owning a fiberglass product VS something like urathane cause i would like to have a urathane front lip stirctly for the reason i just explained. Though i have heard shit like if you leave urathane in the sun it can warp and it sounds about right to me so........

Maybe some one can clear that last one up for me when they answer you questions?

i can tell you from personal experience that urethane is definately the way to go, hands down, without a doubt, and any more cliches you can think of...

i personally kind of "jumped" my civic hatch, this was completely accidental...
it was a rise and dip in a back road that wasn't labeled or signed at all...

so long story short, the car did a nose dive and the only damamge to my urethane front was slight scrapage, but if it was fiberglass it would have been in pieces on the road...

another example, me and my friend picked up a del sol that got steam rolled by a F350 pickup... it had a wings west urethane front bumper...
as we were putting it back together we took the front kit off and set it to the side, we figured we would have to get a new one anyway... but we walked into the garage the next day and there it was sitting perfectly back in form...
and i'm telling you the thing was completely creamed... it was just that all the bent metal was holding it in its contorted shape... but if you let it just sit it will come back to shape... i wish i had pics, but trust me, urethane is well worth the money...

For me Fiberglass because i know how to repair and do my own work.. easly repairable.. Just like new even better... urethane iam sure is just as good. but everyone has their beef with one or the other..

dude, if your fiberglass front bumper got slammed by a f350 you would have more patch jobs that a NYC street.... :lol:

go with urethane....
lol

urethane no question asked. Personally i had a full buddy club kit on my car. It was fiberglass and i was driving down the turnpike on my way to work. An 18 wheeler blow a tire and it slammed into my front bumper and just riped it apart. I mean it was all over the turnpike. After that i got a Wings West type-W front its urethane and it's the best. I've scrapped it a few time and nothing happens besides it getting scrapped no chips, Not chipping paint, no nothing. When you spend alot of money on paint you want to keep it in good shape and not have to get alot of repairs. Fiberglass is a very weak material and has a very low stress fracture point. Spend the extra cash and get urethane it's worth it trust me.

I have the Mugen Kit on my CRX(W.W. Kit is modeled after mugen) and its fiberglass. Let me tell you, GET URETHANE(sp). It is much more reliable. Fiberglass is alright, and it might not break, but it will get spiderwebs and star shaped cracks all over it and they cant really be fixed. But fiberglass I imagine is easier to mold if your going to go show with your car.

$.02

:werd: i SLAMMED a curb in my prelude and the urethane kit on it didn't have any damage on it at all- I just pulled the car off the curb, reattached the bumper to the car, painted it and no one could tell- urethane owns j0000!!!1!!!!

URETHANE > Fiber Glass

I see people with fiber glass body kits all day long, and you can always see at least one part that is messed up/cracked.

I have urethane. I also have NO complaints. It even fits very very nice! :)

no, one of them is way to flexable, and wont make a clean line unless you test fit, and bake it before you prime and paint.

Dude, there's no way I can fit my body kit in my oven, not any of the 4 parts.

Where would I get that done at anyway?

BTW, my urethane body kit is flexable, but it doesnt flap in the wind or anything like that. Its flexable to withstand it being beat on, not like you can flex it backwards. It reminds me of sort of a plastic/rubber mix. :)

you have to bake it at a paint shop dude. duh.

thats what the guys were telling me at one of our shops here. since sounds like not anyone else has heard of this, it could be bs.

:bs: My dad owns a body shop. If that were the case ALL oem bumpers would need to be baked to fit, cause they're urethane. The closest thing to an oven that my Dad has is the microwave to cook pizza rolls. Just an FYI. :thumbsup:

Urethane is better all around no contest! I know this from experience with both types. Trust me I learned the hard way. I now have a tsunami kit on my civic. It's ten times better than any kit I have ever had on any car.

Dude, there's no way I can fit my body kit in my oven, not any of the 4 parts.

hahahhahaa
lmao
too funny dude...

no, one of them is way to flexable, and wont make a clean line unless you test fit, and bake it before you prime and paint.

every kit should be test fit before painted...

i have urethane and we didn't even prime the son of a bitch, just sprayed it, but that was acrylic paint, not sure about others...

Urethane, plastic cleaner(to remove molding wax), adhesion promoter, paint with a little flex additive.

Fiberglass blows ass. It cracks, and breaks easily. Shit happens. I had a ground effects kit on my s-10, around the rear and all. I cocked my arm to throw the ball for my dog. She didn't look and plowed into the back. Urethane would have flexed, but the fiberglass got all fucked up at the seams.

Fiberglass is good for molding hard parts and hood scoops, nothing that will be hit.

Back