Brad's CRX Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

not hating... i meant cost by how time consuming it has to be.... maybe im old school, but when i see fully wire tucked engine bay, it almost looks to me like its unfinished.. it has that "something's missing" look... it all comes down to personal taste, and time management i guess... but the kid here does one hell of a job nonetheless....
Yes, he does great work at a tender young age. Wait till he's got 30 or 40 years experience under his belt - he'll be a monster. This kid's working outside in the dirt now - for the same reason most of of do it - because he love's it. That comes across well on his posts. I work a phuking mechanical engineering job doing support integration and project lead work - good at it and it pays well - but it's a stress fest. Nothing like coming home and playing out in the shop - get some dirt under these finger nails.

It's all about preference. I'm old school too - real old. Not really enamoured by tucked engine bays - but, fully supportive of anyone that want's it.

My ride isn't lowered - had 'em lowered before. No maas. Anybody else wants lowered - ok with me.

I like a clean engine bay that's functional. Doing a swap soon and will clean up wiring - probably re-wrap it all with new convoluted tubing and heat shrink. Hoses are already all new.

This thread rocks - Brad is awesome - the contributors are great too.

I really like reading through this thread in the evenings when I check email - good to see his progress - and the interaction between members as well as him sharing the experience of building his hot rod. Even when he crashed it - we all learn that one at some point.

I'll post a thread when I do the swap on mine - engine is in machine shop now.

Rock on Brad! :cool:

Last edited:
beep beep beep, my gay-dar is going off.....

Why? I don't see Injen around here anywhere... :shrug2:

My ride isn't lowered - had 'em lowered before. No maas. Anybody else wants lowered - ok with me.

Do you just not like the look? Or do you not care about handling? I've never cared much for the slammed look, but subtle lowering with quality springs that improves handling? Yes please...

.....Do you just not like the look? Or do you not care about handling? I've never cared much for the slammed look, but subtle lowering with quality springs that improves handling? Yes please...
On an autocross or other racing application lowering is clearly the ticket.

On the street, reducing overall suspension travel isn't for me. I absolutely care about handling and have made changes to enhance handling in the suspension of my hatch - lowering isn't one of them and won't be for a street application. There's a trade off lowering a street car - one I will not make. If it suits you, by all means lower your stuff to your liking.

When I want some real handling? I put on the driving suit, rib vest, helmet, boots, gloves and crank one of these up - instant 3g turns - and they don't break often.

Karts%20Rear%20View%20II%20%28Medium%29%20%282%29.jpg

Last edited:
Shit fellas, I'm flattered. ^_^ Its inspiration and passion that keeps me doing what I do...and I do love it. :)

Karts are bad ass. An awesome way to learn driving skills I hear from my uncle.

Back to the build, the green wire form the TPS and the green wire from the the temp sensor on the front of the head are connected together in the factory harness. I assume the green wires are grounds? The IAT sensor has a green wire as well and there are no left over wires on my engine harness so I assumed it was a ground too. Is that correct?

All wiring done...body wiring, engine wiring, fuse box wiring, ECU wiring. And I replaced the broken TPS (came like that from shipping :()

It's going in tonight. Updates later.

Did ya clean the motor up a little? The last pics I remember seeing, the block and tranny looked pretty nasty. Red valve cover looked nice.

Yep, cleaned up a LOT.

Its all in and RUNNING !!! Started up fairly nicely, runs super smooth but a little bit of a tick and code 9 CYP and hesitates to rev up. I will take apart the wiring and check it out tomorrow. For tonight I'm done.

100_1277.jpg

So the rad has been connected and it's been run up to temperature. The tick turned out to be a bad timing belt tensioner so a whole timing belt job next. Did a compression test 235 all across . No temp reading in the gauges though, just says cold even though its fully circulating. And I forgot to calibrate the TPS sensor ! :shocked: ...the joy of working out bugs.

Last edited:
Looks great. I hope to get there some day too. I think I've got a little while to go though. Damn do those washer fluid tubes stick out! Also, why do you have a sticker with a diatomic Fluorine molecule on it? Are you running the battery to the back?

Claps hand excitingly! *sprouts boner* Claps hands harder!
I did the same. :ph34r:
Looks great. I hope to get there some day too. I think I've got a little while to go though. Damn do those washer fluid tubes stick out! Also, why do you have a sticker with a diatomic Fluorine molecule on it? Are you running the battery to the back?

Yeah I should tuck those tubes. Sticker is my suspension like Si said. I don't know if I want to tuck the battery anymore, it's not really needed. Maybe later if I really want to.

Yeah it would. Matts CRX looks nice but I don't want to buy another battery, wire ect...

After trying 3 TPS sensors I got one that worked and it's not hesitating anymore. :) Still have code 9 and no temperature reading. But the motor is running better and better so as soon as those issues are worked out I can tell its going to be a great motor.

Back