bringing the CRX back to the track build/thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

you got the whole Microsoft Windows thing goin on there ... hit up Bill Gates for sponsorship.. lol

windows-logo.jpg

Haha yeah. It looks funky but it's ok. The function matters more in this area. I think the blue is what really throws it off. If the blue links and control arms were black it wouldn't look nearly as off imo

still waiting on these 2 last bushings for the front control arms. they shouldnt be much longer (has to be custom made). so i started putting the new(ish) doors and fenders on, along with the bumpers. i also pulled all the trim.

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

dont worry about the crazy droop on the front, the LCA isnt connected. i just wanted to test out the 5mm spacers. which seem to be a perfect fit. the brakes pretty much fill the wheel. the only thing that concerns me is that the sticky weights on the inner part of the wheel are VERY close to the caliper. like 1mm or less. i may have to move to clip on weights, but i really dont want to do that.

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG

also dont worry about the rusty rotor, i spilled some water on it lol. like i said, spacers are great. once i get these bushings, i can put this bad boy back on its wheels, get an alignment, corner balanced, then straighten up the body a bit. mainly the small rust spots and large spot on the passenger rear wheel well. i may fix some of the larger dents but its not a priority. and once repainted i can put all the trim back on.

im also considering a front lip. i like the J's racing urethane copy at JDM shit, but i worry about how secure it would be at speed. ive also looked at the roadracegear airdam and possibly splitter. thoughts?

Good to see the progress in the build. There were always moments in my older builds where I wished I had the money to spend of lots of quality parts. I have a new car now, so thats a non-issue, but its nice to see someone still take pride in their project.

A bit of advice about the sticky weights. We have a few customers who track their cars come into my shop and a lot of them will use metal foil tape over the weights to keep them in place. I guess when the wheels heat up under prolonged braking the adhesive can actual melt and the weight can fly off.The foil tape holds the weight to the wheel.

i could do that in the rear, but with the limited clearance, im not sure i want to do that for the front. thats a good idea though.

A bit of advice about the sticky weights. We have a few customers who track their cars come into my shop and a lot of them will use metal foil tape over the weights to keep them in place. I guess when the wheels heat up under prolonged braking the adhesive can actual melt and the weight can fly off.The foil tape holds the weight to the wheel.
Yup; good point. I do the same on mine. The foil tape also helps reflect the heat.

i could do that in the rear, but with the limited clearance, im not sure i want to do that for the front. thats a good idea though.
The foil tape is less than 1mm thick. You should not have any clearance issues. lol

Looked like less than 1mm clearance between the weights and the caliper in te front. Did you look at the pics?
I did not; have them move the weights and re-balance. You don't want to be that close anyway.

I know. And I balanced these wheels myself with the machine at work. Not sure how I could put the weights somewhere else and not have the wheel out of balance lol. The machine would just tell me to put them in the same place lol

your machine doesnt have it so you can change the place to balance the wheel? ours at the vocational school i go to can be in like 5 different places

Ian is a newb; forgive him..

i honestly cant think how you could place the weights somewhere else without using unnecessary extra weights. i may just have to use clip on weights :( ill just take the front wheels to a place and see what they can do.

Back