Bristol Autox

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Sep 13 2004, 10:09 PM
So if this "nut" is not important to the suspension setup..... what would happen if you just removed them altogether and drove agressively on the Bristol course which is known for it's uneven surface? Aren't they needed to keep the suspension together at full droop (when the suspension bottoms out... as in going over a pothole)?

they don't come off... at least not with an impact gun. and im NOT rebuilding my entire suspension for the sake of proving something to someone who simply doesn't understand it.
And there are plenty of expensive and beautiful car accessories that don't actually enhance automotive performance....

um ok, great- but what does this have anything to do with anything?
Also, Chip has spoken up for HondaSwappers many times without being asked to... and I really don't think that we should be giving him such a workout. Again, it would be nice for at least one other person from this forum to join CART and be our liason.

As i said a couple posts back, i've considered it... But again, I'm just some stereotypical "punk kid into imports" and nothing i say will get taken seriously anyway... so why bother? I am busy enough as it is.
Just because we participate in an event, does not make us a member for the day. We are paying the $25 non-member entrant fee for that event. They are our hosts and we are only their willing guests.

and as guests, we should be at LEAST treated with respect, as it was given to them during the tech inspect time period... something a FOUNDING MEMBER of the club didn't offer to us in the least, while we tried to explain calmly the situation, which further went into insulting a GUEST to his face in front of his peers. I thought we were all adults, but i'd put his conversational skills from this event on the 2nd grade level. It was entirely unprofessional, and outright, just rude the way he handeled it.

Who's side are you on, anyway martine? seriously. Look at the facts here. once again, you're taking yet another thread in the total wrong direction that its headed.
and you still haven't payed me for the Si head you picked up on sunday. but whatever... thats another issue ...
If we don't like their house rules, then we should just not be there.

I'm a firm beleiver in having tech inspect. I wouldn't go out there if they didn't have one. It's a good thing to have. However, done improperly, as it was done on sunday (not even regarding me at all here) why even have it? as far as I know, I was the only one who failed tech on sunday. There should have been 20 other cars who failed with me. I appreciate the fact that they are after keeping things safe for everyone, but driving with a cracked windshiled is quite possibly the #1 no-no in EVERY aspect of auto events. ... and yet, they passed tech. And that is simply wrong.
There are several other clubs to turn to...

I don't want to join another club. I come to the cart events for a reason. It's close, I like/know a lot of people there, and i generally have a good time. Waterbury, i've never even been to. I have no desire to go anywhere else, really. Again, this is headed off topic...

but joining their club to initiate changes and growth is another matter.

You make it sound like change is a bad thing?
Autocross is an old school sport that is many decades old, so actually the older cars have earned their stripes.

So is nascar. f1. hell, drag racing dates back 50 years or more. pikes peak, 75 i think it was. what's your point? Each aspect of every racing series has DRASTICALLY changed throughout the years.
There is no need for them to vacate for the newest and the latest in technology.

There's also no need for computer advancement, or advancement in power/fuel creation/alterntaive fuels, or water purification- but i'll tell you what- I sure enjoy it, and since its available to me, I'm going to flip on my light switch instead of chopping wood and building a fire. Feel free to cut down a tree if you wish, but its not how the world is.
EVERYTHING advances. If you're stuck in the 70s, you're simply not competitive. Even 70s muscle cars TODAY, are built using new technology parts from places like holley, Edlebrock, and so forth. Do you see where i'm going with this?

My point here is that, if they cannot accept/deal with change, they will die out. Personally, I don't think this is a case. There are a LOT of new model cars there- S4's, Z06's, 350z's and so forth. Saying that Cart is still "old school" is a false statement as far as i'm concerned.
In autocross, driver skill is still the most important factor, not the equipment.

There's a fine line, sure. but a 20 hp car will always be slower than a 100 hp car in the same drivers hands.
Why did chip move to slicks? better equipement- and he can out drive each and everyone of us who post here.
and once again, this is off topic.
Lastly, respect is earned, not demanded.
[post=389933]Quoted post[/post]​

If i wanted respect, I'd go to fast and furious casting call with my eclipse and neons on and wait for Toretto.
To some people, thats more important.

What's more important to me, is having a good time, doing what i love doing, and is a HUGE part of my life, in a fair, safe, and educational experience.

Unfortuantely, I was not granted the oppertunity, had my friend called a moron to his face, and was shrugged off when an explanation of the part was given.

Originally posted by ScrapinSi@Sep 13 2004, 10:31 PM
I DO want to know more about the physics behind a pillowball mount and this setup... The more I look at it, the more it appears to be almost like a tapered seat lugnut, that rolls onto a spherical bearing.. Correct? Yes No?
[post=389944]Quoted post[/post]​

The pillow ball is below the car shock tower, in the wheel well. it really has nothing to do with this issue at all.

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Sep 13 2004, 10:47 PM
Perhaps Ji can post some tech in this thread. I helped him install his Teins and I don't recall there being any half threaded nut on the top of his shocks.

the teins on my honda don'thave it either... they have the dampner adjustment up top, and i bet ji's are the same way. the silraods are an Inverted shock design, and thus have the dampner adjustment on the bottom of the fork.

Actually, B's nut looks only threaded in by a third. Sorry, but B's setup just doesn't seem right to me. I've been around a lot of industrial and mechanical machines, and don't recall ever seeing anything with a partially threaded nut on them.

yeah, and my bubble gum vending machine looks nothing like my fridge coil pak. damn.

how can you even compare such things to a suspension product? A Suspension bridge would have been a little closer :unsure:

I've run offet printing presses, machined parts in a titanium bike factory and spent a lot of time in garages with auto mechanics... and hey, this just disturbs my eye in a commonsense kind of way.
[post=389952]Quoted post[/post]​

I code asp all day, and run dts packages for client outputs, and this doesn't disturb me in the least, because thats how they, and other top suspension brands, are made. I'm almost sorry I don't have cheap coil slip-ons and generic valves shocks.

that's it, im heading to ebay, and buying some ractive coilovers and some stock sturts, cuz they are way safer :blink:

:shrug2:

I do see how at first glance, it looks wrong- and I respect that opinion. Bill questionsed it, I questioned it, Clayton did a double take at it. But even though all of us have been around cars for years and have done numerous suspension setups, we entrusted that the engineer who designed it knew what he was doing.

I've been in some weird-shaped buildings in my lifetime- and i've questioned "how they hell does that thing stay up" but you know what? its safe- and people go in and out of it all the time.

It's the same thing.

Originally posted by number9+Sep 13 2004, 10:56 PM-->
94RedSiGal
@Sep 13 2004, 09:09 PM
Also, Chip has spoken up for HondaSwappers many times without being asked to...
[post=389933]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, once significantly. The infamous burnout that E did with the Insight. I actually thought it was pretty cool, but since it was done in the middle of the awards, it sort of got a lot of attention. :p

I spoke with chip about that over PM the monday after it happened, and I do appreciate what he did for us. Hell, I appreciate that he even comes here on a regular basis, as I do each and every one of my members. Without members, what would be the point of this place anyway?

but once again, that's heading off topic.

Also, during that same event, some Honda apparently unrelated to us was drag racing in the upper lot. I made a point to tell CART that he wasn't one of us.

and again, appreciated, and discussed over pm's as well.
A couple of people took notice when some of you left the lot yesterday in a spirited fashion, but nobody said anything. I think the trailer was blocking their view - but they tried to see who was racing out of the lot. Again, during awards = bad timing.
[post=389953]Quoted post[/post]​

I left early- so i had nothing to do with this at all. It was grandparents day, and i went to visit my grandparents like a good person.

but again, this is heading off topic...

But fact is we do aprpecate an "older" voice in the club (no offense, Chip- you're still cool :D ). cuz no one seems to want to listen to anything i have to say.... :(

hello all this is neonmike i just want to state some facts that i noticed about sunday as i was there. as it was wrong for b to fail tech the guy did have a valid reason because i had also questioned the steup when i first saw it. we didn't have any proof that it was supposed to be that way and well if the ball was in your hands would you want to be liable if he died during your event. no you wouldn't. the thing that got us all steamed was the unprofesional manner that it was brought to b's attention as well as the insults to clayton were very very unneccisary. as far as the cars who passed who shouldn't have i won't throw any stones becasue i was living in a very glass house on sunday with my car. i got lucky that i passed, if anything i should have been the one who wasn't running but thats another story. and i hate to say it martine but you have been to one event for the year. you have no room to say anything about claytons actions or anybody else's there. we may not run there every event but we are either participating or watching at every event.

Uhm....Martine....FYI........I am a paying Memeber from Hondaswap....unless you didn't notice I was lined up in the CART member tech line... :p

Originally posted by trboneo@Sep 14 2004, 12:09 AM
and i hate to say it martine but you have been to one event for the year. you have no room to say anything about claytons actions or anybody else's there. we may not run there every event but we are either participating or watching at every event.
[post=389999]Quoted post[/post]​

I am not a noob to autocross events. I was more active last year. This summer I chose to go on road trips instead. I actually spent three shifts working the course yesterday. I arrived half an hour early for my actual shift and stayed. Then I chose to hang out with Matt at the third station during the fun runs. I may have only showed up at one Bristol event this year, but I've been to Waterbury, including their rookie school, spectated at Devens and also talked to members from other autocross clubs. Even when I wasn't at Bristol this year, I got feedback for the day from both TurboMirage and Chip... so actually I feel that I am qualified to discuss the various Bristol issues. I have emailed Chip with my suggestions for improvements... such as adding a CART trash barrel by the trailer after the food truck's barrels are taken away in the afternoon. In addition, even though it may sound odd, I've worked at hotels in their banquet departments, where organization of the events and delegations of duties were key to the success and smooth running of serving meals to several hundred guests.

Well whatever, there were a lot of people participating this last Sunday, and I can't be a member of all of the little cliques that go on there. I had a really good time with TurboMirage, Chip, nfn15037 in the white GS-R, Sean in the purple GS-R, the kid with the H22 swap in the green teg and the nice guy with the red Porsche. It was great watching E and WildBill playing in the BMW during the fun runs.

Originally posted by Airjockie@Sep 14 2004, 12:14 AM
Uhm....Martine....FYI........I am a paying Memeber from Hondaswap....unless you didn't notice I was lined up in the CART member tech line... :p
[post=390002]Quoted post[/post]​

Well then Clayton, why don't you be our official HondaSwap liason instead of Chip? I had also heard that Sunday was your first appearance of the season at Bristol...

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal+Sep 13 2004, 11:37 PM-->
Airjockie
@Sep 14 2004, 12:14 AM
[post=390002]Quoted post[/post]​

Well then Clayton, why don't you be our official HondaSwap liason instead of Chip? I had also heard that Sunday was your first appearance of the season at Bristol...
[post=390015]Quoted post[/post]​

I would love to be the in-between person...but unfortunately....they never listened to my comments...and could care less...If the tech guy blew me off for three times during that day...then why would he listen to me for on the subject on other things. <_<

i would become a member at this point, but why bother with 3 events left in the season?

they know me quite well.... always chasing those spits... :p

next spring i plan to hit cart full force, go to the meetings and such... doesnt help us out this year but its a start.

ive been to every event except for two, and the coming mustand event this sunday. i dont dare miss autocross, its too much fun :) got some great pointers for next time and a reworked setup.

I think that's good, Chris.

As far as an official "Honda-Swap" rep within CART - that's probably something that wouldn't fly. Nor would any official rep from any outside club. CART even thumbs its nose at SCCA. They're very independent.

However, I think it's always good to get involved within CART and become a voice. CART is very established and the 'old guard' is, well, the old guard. And this is New England. They just take a while to get to know someone and warm up to them.

It also doesn't hurt to introduce yourself to some of these guys (like to Brian the Vette guy), and ask for pointers. Brian is extrememly helpful. Or even Paul, when he's not running around stressed during registration and tech, etc. Hang out with them for a while. I mean, the only reason I know you guys, is because Martine bought some wheels/tires from me last year, and E asked me at one point to do a fun run with him. And the only reason I'm on Honda-Swap is because Martine told me about it last year and I decided to join. Up until then, I didn't know you guys even existed.

Originally posted by number9@Sep 14 2004, 10:43 AM
I think that's good, Chris.

As far as an official "Honda-Swap" rep within CART - that's probably something that wouldn't fly. Nor would any official rep from any outside club. CART even thumbs its nose at SCCA. They're very independent.

This place/site is not a club. There are no dues, there are no rewards or benefits for being a member, other than the knowledge you may pick up in threads/posts along the way.. There are no officers, no mettings, or anything else that denotes a club. We all just happen to know each other through the board, happen to live fairly close by, and have an interest in autox. If someone goes around saying they represent HondaSwap.com, I'll ban that person. That's all there is to it. If you want to join Cart and press YOUR ideas and others that your PEERS have suggested, by all means. But hondaswap has nothing to do with it.

However, I think it's always good to get involved within CART and become a voice. CART is very established and the 'old guard' is, well, the old guard. And this is New England. They just take a while to get to know someone and warm up to them.

I may be mistaken, but i didint think i had to be chums with someone for them to show some common courtesy and respect.

If anything, the older members should be more against cracked windshields than newer folks.... glass 30 years ago was half as strong as it is today.

It also doesn't hurt to introduce yourself to some of these guys (like to Brian the Vette guy), and ask for pointers. Brian is extrememly helpful. Or even Paul, when he's not running around stressed during registration and tech, etc. Hang out with them for a while. I mean, the only reason I know you guys, is because Martine bought some wheels/tires from me last year, and E asked me at one point to do a fun run with him. And the only reason I'm on Honda-Swap is because Martine told me about it last year and I decided to join. Up until then, I didn't know you guys even existed.
[post=390101]Quoted post[/post]​

Which is why i wish they never closed the cart board down, and actually DID something about it to make it grow/get used.

I mean, look at this site. it's 2 years old. i registered/put up this board in sept of 2002. There have been close to 40,000 people register- and over 10k active members.

I offered a LONG time ago to help out with the site- my email went unanswered. So, whatever. I guess I'm not good enough to help out. The cart site needs so much work IMO. and i offered to put the time in to do it, but no one even cared it seemed. sometimes, that's the general impression i get- they just don't give a shit.
:shrug2:

just wanted you all to know, that i love each and every one of you.

oh, except for noah. :p just kidding haha!!

I thought we were getting really close to a group hug. :hide:

this really doesnt have anything to do with the technical or CART topics, but after this whole thread, this came to mind.

I had a really good time this past sunday. My friend was the one with the Scion, i still cant believe they let him run it, but hey, it didnt flip, so whats the big deal? P.S. i personally dont consider it an SUV, but i dont know what i would consider it as...

B, nice meeting you. I was sorry i didnt get to see you run. I was really hoping to see the sol, but even the 240 would have been cool.

I came to that event to see alot of you guys run, as well to do something i enjoy. E, Clayton, B, Chris...all guys i hear talk alot about auto x, and it was cool to come and see what everyone can do.

As far as how these things are organized, i think we should all remember one thing. At the end of the day, this is all supposed to be for fun. Sure, alot of us spend a good bit of money to be competitive, but there are seldome sponsors involved, no ESPN camera crews, no local newspapers or any media coverage. Its all about having a good time. I know i did.

And E, thanks for letting me take the Sol for a spin, that thing is a blast!

-Chris

Originally posted by BlackFrog@Sep 14 2004, 09:50 PM
this really doesnt have anything to do with the technical or CART topics, but after this whole thread, this came to mind.

I had a really good time this past sunday. My friend was the one with the Scion, i still cant believe they let him run it, but hey, it didnt flip, so whats the big deal? P.S. i personally dont consider it an SUV, but i dont know what i would consider it as...

maybe not, and frankly, i really don't care... but its THEIR rules and they let it slide- along with all the other things they deem unsafe.

B, nice meeting you. I was sorry i didnt get to see you run. I was really hoping to see the sol, but even the 240 would have been cool.

you too dude- we'll def meet again i'm sure. The sol... you can come visit her in the garage anytime you wish. lol on th road again? doubtful before spring time... im broke, and shes got problems.

I came to that event to see alot of you guys run, as well to do something i enjoy. E, Clayton, B, Chris...all guys i hear talk alot about auto x, and it was cool to come and see what everyone can do.

I came to run too :ph34r: lol
As far as how these things are organized, i think we should all remember one thing. At the end of the day, this is all supposed to be for fun. Sure, alot of us spend a good bit of money to be competitive, but there are seldome sponsors involved, no ESPN camera crews, no local newspapers or any media coverage. Its all about having a good time. I know i did.

indeed... even with all the BS, i still had a good time watching the rx7 do a donut, and the boosted mustang turn incredibly slow times. My only quam, is that the Detriot Locker wasn't there :D that thing is a blast to watch. hhehe
And E, thanks for letting me take the Sol for a spin, that thing is a blast to watch! and jason with the 5.0 volvo. he's a fun watch as well.

Originally posted by sisteve@Sep 14 2004, 10:20 PM
I can't believe I just spent 20mins reading about a nut. I almost feel dirty... :ghey:
[post=390353]Quoted post[/post]​

puts in Easy E = Gimme dat nut

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by sisteve@Sep 14 2004, 09:20 PM
I can't believe I just spent 20mins reading about a nut. I almost feel dirty... :ghey:
[post=390353]Quoted post[/post]​

Same here.

Can't all you motherfuckers have a goddamn CIVIL discussion without taking personal stabs at each other?! I hate all the drama that goes down in this forum. Maybe it needs to be closed and everyone banned.

Carry on... calmly.

Back