Bristol Autox

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 13 2004, 11:50 PM
Who's side are you on, anyway martine? seriously. Look at the facts here. once again, you're taking yet another thread in the total wrong direction that its headed.
and you still haven't payed me for the Si head you picked up on sunday. but whatever... thats another issue ...
[post=389990]Quoted post[/post]​

The only side that I am on... is the one of vehicle safety. I am not persuaded that that "nut" is threaded on enough. It wouldn't matter if that supension was USDM or from Germany... although I am told that the Germans have very stringent standards for that sort of thing, some sort of national safety board of standards called the TUB. It's like our NTSB and all the aftermarket car parts have to be tested and approved before sale. Parts from Germany have their little sticker on them.

So the Si head is now paid for. I was really tired on Sunday from being up since 5:30am and then baking in the sun all day I got dehydrated. Paypalling you two business days (Tuesday night) after it was picked up is not that tardy. Your for sale ad is on the 5th page of the classifieds and over 30 days old, and it's not like anyone else was fighting to buy it. And I paid you your asking price too. You could have also PM'd me your concerns, and as it was I had to PM you for your Paypal account. And BTW I also could have bought an Si head in Boston from a member of another board for close to the same money, but I figured that I might as well buy it from you and help you clean out your garage.

Ok, I just read this forum for the first time, And I have an engineering response for this.

I work at a pipeline now, and I talked to some of the gas engineers. They have nuts on their inner valves and fittings (not the external stuff, that's welded) and they have these nuts affixed in the same way.

The reasoning is stress. The fittings were examined in an active IR scope while a machine applied stress to the components. Every fitting is scoped that way in a compression station. When the fix nut is tightened down to the thread, the object is to protect against sheering and explosive forces. Fine threads protect against sheering, course threads protect against explosion. But when a threaded shaft is bent, both properties are weakened, and a break occurs. When you're pumping Natural Gas through protected wildlands, you can't have that happen.

So to eliminate the possibility of bending the shaft during stress, The nuts are half-threaded or less. Remember that even 3 threads on modern steel can protect against hundreds of tons of forces in explosion, but because of machining and forging performed on the thread itself (And tempering after the screw machine) sheering and bending forces still can't be dealt with as effectively.

While steel companies are working on new materials (Like a castable Titanium experiment in Japan that he told me about) you'll see engineering solutions like this implemented all over the place. When moldable titanium hits the market, you WILL see suspension components (particularly high end stuff from SilkRoad) held on by a PHILIPS SCREW. And it will be several times stronger than the 3 full carriage bolt setup seen in past suspension setups.

So, when I can get ahold of this new tech, I expect to be failed because my suspension is held in by a #2 phillips tapered half-round head.

So there you have it. Aircraft engineering, Civil and high-volume fluid dynamics and automotive engineering provide the trinity of alternate engineering.... as usual.

-> Steve

Originally posted by Celerity@Sep 15 2004, 11:55 AM
Ok, I just read this forum for the first time, And I have an engineering response for this.

-> Steve
[post=390644]Quoted post[/post]​

Steve,

Like, you're either really well connected upstairs, or you've been hangin' on the crack pipe for too long. :hmm:

You doing okay, dude?

:lol:

adi.jpg

What I am trying to discribe...but since some people here can't understand technical words...then I have to explain it in the drawing....

things are not what they seem on the top......point is proved.

The above MSPaint picture is a diagram of forming a spherical bearing shell comprising an overlay casting process which utilizes a ceramic/stainless steel insert having a semi-spherical close-tolerance outer surface with a casting sprue opening therethrough and lubrication ribs on said outer surface. The ceramic/stainless steel insert is placed within structural bearing housing, defining an overlay cavity therebetween which is then cast with a molten bearing alloy into the sprue opening of the insert to a level above the height of the overlay cavity. The sprue opening is then back-drilled so that the ceramic insert and plug of bearing alloy can be separated from the bearing housing and overlay surface leaving a semi-spherical bearing surface with lubrication grooves cast therein. The inside of the bearing has threads that can range from pitch and sizes need per application. The spherical ball is held in place between two milled bearing races that are in tolerance to allow for lubrication, and are affixed in a manner to hold the ball to withstand many axial and rotation forces that the sperical bearing will incure during its predetermaned function. there is a felt liner to keep debrie and foreign matter out of the bearing surfaces and to scrub the bearing so it will flex in on a clean spot for it's roational surfaces. The upper portion of the hexigonal formation is milled out in a fashion to allow clearance from the outshell in an extreme rotation of the bearing surface while attached to the shaft of a an item, as in a shock strut. The Hex head is formed to allow a turning instrument to affix the pillow ball spherical bearing to a shock/strut application. The treads are counter-boared to allow a slight locking torque application. Although, due to the design of this item, the ball is allowed to rotate with the shock/strut and provides less friction when turning the lower shock/strut on a normal suspention setup. As in, when the steering wheel and the angle is moved, the shock is allowed to rotate with it, while rideing in the enclosed race. This also allows for the shock/strut assyemboly to last longer in a rough environment. Due to the extra rotation forces, the strut will not hit the same place or position on the gland seals in the shockstrut, and will provide an exra wipeing motion to allow extra debrie to be cleared away before the next exstension of the shock/strut. Allowing less damage to contact the main seal on the pressure side of the strut/shock.

Glad I took a technical writting course in college :)

I failed ART in pre-school :lol:

Good write up.

Erick is having the guys at InTec and is having them take one apart.

Next step- pass tech, and prove them safe.

okay... thats what I figured clayton... that it is a nut longer in length, multiple diameter... Which actually makes that bolt VERY strong...

It actually even looks as though the bolt would be able to pull on the threads to make it tighter and more effective than an OEM Setup.

Nice write up, Clayton. The drawing is pretty good as well.

B, do you want me to pass the text and drawing on to Paul? I'd be glad to help out.

Originally posted by number9@Sep 15 2004, 10:19 PM
Nice write up, Clayton. The drawing is pretty good as well.

B, do you want me to pass the text and drawing on to Paul? I'd be glad to help out.
[post=390839]Quoted post[/post]​

i was going to- but if you want to, go for it. it might look better coming from you anyway.

Interesting. I had no idea the "nut" was that long. I think that's why they failed you.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Sep 15 2004, 10:42 PM-->
@Sep 15 2004, 10:19 PM
Nice write up, Clayton.  The drawing is pretty good as well. 

B, do you want me to pass the text and drawing on to Paul?  I'd be glad to help out.
[post=390839]Quoted post[/post]​

i was going to- but if you want to, go for it. it might look better coming from you anyway.
[post=390878]Quoted post[/post]​

I'll send him an e-mail this morning.

Airjockie, thanks for the clarification. I can understand technical words, but when people start going into huge speeches on machining technology, IR scopes, oil rigs and all kinds of bullshit like that, nobody knows what the fuck to think. Not to mention, everyone was referring to this piece of hardware as a "nut" the whole time when it is not a nut at all. Was it that hard to explain? Again, I am glad we have this clarified, but do not imply that anyone who does not follow your "tech papers" is stupid. Why could you not explain this to the tech inspectors? Rather than proclaiming, "I'm an aircraft mechanic, I'm an aircraft mechanic," explaining the thing would have been a lot more productive.

DUDE- you weren't there, you didn't hear what was said, and you shoudl kindly shut the fuck up.

NOT ONCE did he say he's an aircraft mecahnic. PAUL brought it up because he KNEW this, and knew who Clayton is.

and moreover, WHERE did he proclaim everyone else was stupid?

Finally some real tech and some pictures. Hopefully Silkroad or another one of those companies will have some professionally rendered cut-a-ways of their products for someone to printout to show them. It's not like the guys at CART have x-ray vision... and B's setup was the first that they'd seen of this sort of design.

Back