Can't figure this out

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b16coupe

I wrote a while back about how my car was sputtering really bad and wouldn't rev over 5500rpm. I now have 2.5inch exhaust all the way back with a magnaflow muffler and no cat. After the exhaust was put on i would rev to bout 6200-6300 rpm. Today I changed the sparkplugs from platinum 4's to NGK Vpower's and it will now rev to 7k, but it still sputters and will not rev any higher.

so does anyone have any idea why it is still sputtering?

My setup:
b16a
total seal piston rings
new oem headgasket
exedy clutch
msd blaster ss coil and cap
NGK vpower
ssautochrome mani
t3/to4e 8psi
uberdata
dsm 450's
2.5inch exhaust with magnaflow muffler

I remember hearing that uberdata has problems running dsm's. You may want to look into that. I don't know what kind of support that uberdata offers, if it was hondata you could ask them.

Originally posted by 97CTR@Sep 15 2004, 05:54 PM
I remember hearing that uberdata has problems running dsm's.  You may want to look into that.  I don't know what kind of support that uberdata offers, if it was hondata you could ask them.
[post=390762]Quoted post[/post]​

Said who? One injector is pretty much the same as the next. Heat a coil, open a valve. In each step, you are releasing more and more pressure. Ever thought that perhaps you are blowing out spark? You're probably misfiring like a bish.

Just saw the MSD goodies. Look at you're valvetrain and your ignition tuning.

I dont really think that it is the 450's because I ran them for about 3 weeks without the turbo and they performed flawlessly.

My ignition timing is stock and for every PSI it is retarded .5 degrees, but I haven't checked it with the light.

I will check my valvetraing tomorrow and make sure everything is ok.

Thanks for the suggestions and I will look into the injector thing too.

**EDIT**
It does fell like it is missfiring really bad. I think that it could be something electrical.

do you have a resitor pack on the injectors?

is your timing advanced on the distribitor?

what syoru total timing up top in uberdata?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 15 2004, 10:56 PM
do you have a resitor pack on the injectors?
[post=390893]Quoted post[/post]​
Exactly what i am thinking I think the b16s are staurated whre the dms arn't.

Yes i have 10 watt 10 ohm inline resistors on each of the yellow/black wires running to each injector.

The timing is stock on the distributor

As for the timing on uberdata, i will have to check on that this afternoon because I am a school right now.

I just looked at the igintion timing in uberdata and it ranges for 22.7btdc at 5700rpm to 20btdc at 7400rpm at 8psi

I checked the cam timing and it was good.

I would like to check the spark plug wires and injectors. Does anyone know what resistances they should have.

I was also wondering if there was another way to hook up the external coil. Like can I just hook the + to the positive side of the battery and hook the - to the chassis or negative side of the battery?

bah, you have a blaster coil?

i got $50 on your ignitor being fried.

Thats all msd's are good for... blowing ignitors.

What are your plugs gapped at? Set for .30 thats what mine finally liked when I adjusted them, any larger gap kept blowing the spark out and it would sputter really bad. Also, If it sputters from low rpm up to high rpm its probably not the plugs,Check your distributor rotor and cap

The spark plugs have the stock b16 gap i believe.
I checked the rotor and cap earlier today and they were fine.

I looked at my timing belt today also, and it was pretty loose on front side of the motor. It hadn't skipped any teeth but could it affect the cam timing up top?

the tensioner is on the back. if its loose, and the TDC mark points with the cam gears ^ mark, you didn't skip a tooth- its just time for a new belt.

i'm telling you, its the ignitor. its in the distributor.

I'm terrible at ignition mechanics, but I have heared some stories about MSD axing distributors. Give it a shot. Your timing seems nominal, if not a little conservative.

of course... the coil fires to the ignitor... and its simply too much for the stock ignitor to handel.

i so dont see the point in them...

Back