Chipped Cam, will this still work?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Slammed95TEG

Hey, a while back I bought a set of used cams of a guy from another forum. During shipping the crower 404 cam got chipped by the JG 301 cam. A couple people said because of where its at it wouldnt matter, but im questioning them now. Im hurting for cash,(i never got to install them because of the price of titanium valve springs and retainers) and im trying to sell them, but i was wondering if anyone here was knowledgeable enough to tell me if this cam is trash or if it will still work. I have attatched a couple high quality photos. TIA.

Nick

Do ya'll have a reason for this, i figured it might cause balance problems when getting upwards of 8000rpm, but then I thought maybe it wouldnt matter because it isnt a precision machined part of the cam. I do have the piece, and i could tig weld it back on and turn it back down to size....

if anything, its just going to leak a little bit...

i also wouldn't run it, but i don't see why it won't work...

Originally posted by Slammed95TEG@May 11 2005, 02:51 PM
Do ya'll have a reason for this
[post=497949]Quoted post[/post]​

Mostly because there's a huge chunk of metal missing. I would've got my money back immediately, unless you were dumb enough to buy a cam that someone told you had a huge chunk missing.

Originally posted by civicious+May 11 2005, 05:39 PM-->
Slammed95TEG
@May 11 2005, 02:51 PM
Do ya'll have a reason for this
[post=497949]Quoted post[/post]​

Mostly because there's a huge chunk of metal missing. I would've got my money back immediately, unless you were dumb enough to buy a cam that someone told you had a huge chunk missing.
[post=498047]Quoted post[/post]​

Maybe if you knew how to read, you would know that it got chipped during shipping and that it has nothing to do with the seller.

95teg - fuck it, run it. It will NOT cause catasrophic engine failure. Course, I wouldn't run it, but that's me. :D Btw, what kind of Compression are you running? Cause anything below 12.5:1 and that 404 cam will be worthless. And the JG cams SUCK BALLS. my .02 cents.....

machine shop can prob fix that cheap, easier to sell that way...

i concur that it would prob only cause a small leak, but i still wouldn't run it...

Originally posted by sohcslammer@May 12 2005, 12:04 PM
Maybe if you knew how to read, you would know that it got chipped during shipping and that it has nothing to do with the seller.

I do know how to read, stupid ass, but the only way a cam is gonna get chipped THAT much is if either
A. the seller used a box that was about 10'x10'x10', and the shipping carrier dropped the box perfectly so that the other cam smashed into that cam at the exact right spot. And even then I doubt it would take that big of a chunk out of it;
B. The seller sent the cams in a USPS plastic envelope baggie thingie and the shipping carrier dropped it, in which case the seller is a moron for using a USPS plastic envelope baggie thingie to ship CAMS in; or
C. It was cracked before the seller shipped it.

Now, I dropped one of my B16A cams a while back on concrete, and it just scratched it up a little bit. I highly, highly doubt that could happen cams shipped in a reasonably-sized box (that doesn't allow the cam to free fall and gather enough momentum to take a sizeable chunk out of the other cam), or even cams shipped in a gigantic box with any type of padding.

Back