Colin's EK Hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dude.... two feet of snow.... cold weather..... such a hateful climate...

Damn, got a set of those too. :( I just need to call you up and see if you want any of my crap.

Damn. Let's see. This is a list from my excel file of what I need. The stuff with a number next to it I already have.

EXHAUST
HEADER 360
INTAKE
BRAKE LINE FIX
MOUNT GAGES
HAVE BLOCK CHECKED
HAVE BLOCK MACHINED
ORDER PISTONS
VALVE SPRING TOOL 75
IDENTIFY VALVE SPRINGS & ORDER NEW
ORDER CAMS
310cc INJECTORS 117.5
CLUTCH
FLYWHEEL RESURFACING
HEAD STUDS
ROD BOLTS
TEST KNOCK SENSOR
TB & Intake Boring service 195
SINGLE GAUGE HOLDER

You spelled gauges wrong at the "mount gages" line but correct for single gauge holder? Great honda engineer there. Ha busting your balls.

If I wasn't in debt for just getting my swap I'd love to get those ITR cams off you and help the cause. :(

The injectors showed up today looking nice. A machinist at work is going to inspect and hone the block for $10.00 a hole next week. Hopefully it won't need bored out. I'll order pistons this coming week too. Can't decide on the compression ratio. I'll either go with stock jdm P73 (ITR) pistons (11.1:1), or throw in some PCT (CTR) pistons (11.7:1). I'll be going with a "stage 2" cam, so I think the higher compression will make good use of the extra lift.

There are two options when it comes to cams. Most "stage 2" cams have similar high cam (vtec) lobes. Some will have stock profiles for low cam, and some will have modified low cam profiles. I've heard good things about the Skunk2 Pro 2+ cams, but those have a more aggressive low cam grind. I'm worried about idle quality and driveability.

Also, I'm pretty sure I sourced a clutch/fw and an exhaust. Just waiting on a PM for prices:)

Injectors showed up.
DSCN1936.jpg

As did fresh OEM undergarments
DSCN1940.jpg

Been thinking about what to do with this jank as shit intake. Can't decide if I want to drop $200 on one of those whale penis intakes.
DSCN1941.jpg

And I got the valvetrain pulled apart thanks to the Euroexport tool E recommended. Made the job quick and painless. Now I need to identify my valve springs....

DSCN1935.jpg

DSCN1937.jpg

DSCN1938.jpg

:thumbsup: awesome... glad it worked for ya

I got the block checked. One of the cylinders is right at the limit for allowable out-of-round. I'll be getting the block punched out .25mm over to an 81.5mm bore.

My goal all along was to use PCT (ctr) pistons and get around 11.7:1 compression. Now I found out that many of compression calculators online fail to take into account that the pct pistons are slightly taller than other B series OEM pistons. In actuality the compression is around 12.7:1:(. This is too much for 93 octane and streetable cams. Basically there is no combination of factory parts that will get me to 12:1 compression.

I have some options.

1. Suck it up and get JDM ITR pistons. This would put me at 11.1:1. +$0 project cost

2. Get the PCT pistons and run an Inline Pro HG. This would put me at 11.7:1. +$275 cost.

3. Aftermarket pistons/rods. Any possibility here. +$800-1k

Yup, seems like the way to go. Looks like there are much cheaper options available on ebay too. Goal is to hit 12:1 or just under. I'm the highest bidder on some Skunk2 Stage2 cams on ebay right now. It was a stupid spur of the moment thing... I'm hoping I get outbid because I want Skunk2 Pro1's. They have the vtec profile of an S2S2 cam with an aggressive primary lobe. Apparently people with my build see 150whp at 6000rpm....

Got some more work done on the head. Finished tearing it down, and removed the valve seals. I didn't have the special tool so it was a bitch getting them off. Part of me wishes I send the head out for a hot tank. This is a budget build so I need to cut corners somewhere.

The head all stripped down to nothing:
DSCN1948.jpg

A 3/8" socket works perfectly for driving in the new valve seals.
DSCN1949.jpg

Valves going back into the head.
DSCN1950.jpg

Closeup of a new valve seal & me reinstalling the LMA's
DSCN1953.jpg

A shot of my work bench
DSCN1955.jpg

Back