Completely stumped...wont start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

oh im sorry i meant the way they are on the engine. yeah my motor is hooked up the same way. im 100% positive that they are on right. unless rywire lied to me and for some reason my motor can run on a different firing order. =] yeah im sure its still something simple its just not coming to us yet.. prob have to give it a good stare down till it tells me. :ph34r:

Okay so i looked again and tried to find out what was wrong and i noticed that the arrows on my cam gears dont point to each other when they come side to side ( >)(< ) . this could be the reason but i dont know as to how it became like that... damn . its not too hard to change cam gears and time it correctly right? anybody know exactly how to do this?

crap im so confused.

okay so the arrows on a stock gsr's cam gears are suppose to look like this right?
( >) (< )

and not (^) (^)

or this (<) (^) which how mine are facing...

Last edited:
Are you sure your crank pully marks are lined up before you looked at your cam gear arrows? Check it again, then ask again. If you didn't change anything, and it ran perfectly before you swapped it, I don't think the timing would jump.

how can i check the crank pulley mark with the motor inside? i dont think i can fit the ratchet in there?

Yes you can.Use a 19mm socket, 1/2" ratchet turn it until it is lined up at #1 TDC on compression. You will have to take the valve cover off to do this. and watch when the piston is at the top and all the valves are closed. That is the only way to properly check the timing. You should be able to tell by ear whether or not your timing is off. It will sound strange when you crank it. If it sounds like it's cranking healthily, just not firing, then we can look elsewhere. Also, it may be time to go to Autozone, borrow the compression tester, and run a check on all cylinders. I doubt that is your problem.

Do you know where your crank pulley is? If so, jack up your car and remove your driver side wheel. Put a ratchet (or breaker bar) on the bolt in the middle and slowly rotate it counter clockwise until the lines match up. I don't remember if that plastic thing that covers the oil pump has a mark on it, but your oil pump does. It should be at around the 10:00 o'clock area. Ensure that your #1 piston is at TDC. If not, rotate the crank around again to the same location. Check your timing gears to see if the little " - " marks on the gears meet each other. The exhaust cam should be at the 3:00 o'clock and the intake cam at the 9:00 o'clock.

Yes you can.Use a 19mm socket, 1/2" ratchet turn it until it is lined up at #1 TDC on compression. You will have to take the valve cover off to do this. and watch when the piston is at the top and all the valves are closed. That is the only way to properly check the timing. You should be able to tell by ear whether or not your timing is off. It will sound strange when you crank it. If it sounds like it's cranking healthily, just not firing, then we can look elsewhere. Also, it may be time to go to Autozone, borrow the compression tester, and run a check on all cylinders. I doubt that is your problem.

My bad. I guess I was typing when you posted this. Didn't mean to say the same thing you did. ^_^

Also, he can see if his piston is at TDC without taking the valve cover off. Just take the spark plug out and put a long screwdriver in there. Rotate it around until the screwdriver reaches its highest point.

Right but on a 4 stroke it will reach it's highest point...4 times (compression, oil, combustion, oil). You are supposed to TDC it on the compression stroke therefore you would need to see that both intake and exhaust valves are closed, otherwise you are just guessing.

okay so i definetly fell victim to food coma haha pass out. alright i checked the car out again and i do have clearance to check it. ill take it off tomorrow and btw how much does a compression gauge cost?

i will probably have to cut into new intake manifold money if its over 100. =( (the huge gsr mani aint cutting it for me)

okay so to clarify im checking the notches on my gears to point at 9 and 3 at tdc when all valves are closed? also making sure the notch matches my crank pulley as well?

i guess i wouldnt be upset if i had to change my timing because i have aftermarket gears but i guess that saves me money when i go to get it tuned up.

Do a little research on setting the timing. It's relatively easy. As far as the compression gauge, you can rent them from Autozone for about $40. You get your money back when you return it. Like I said though, I doubt that is your problem.

Right but on a 4 stroke it will reach it's highest point...4 times (compression, oil, combustion, oil). You are supposed to TDC it on the compression stroke therefore you would need to see that both intake and exhaust valves are closed, otherwise you are just guessing.

Close, but no cigar.

The piston reaches its highest point twice, not four times. Intake, compression, power and exhaust strokes. Only on the compression and exhaust stroke does the piston reach its highest point. On the intake stroke the piston is moving down, and on the power stroke, the explosion from the spark ingniting the air/fuel mixture push the piston down. But you are right about checking it on the compression stroke while the valves are closed. ;)

I knew that somewhere deep in the recesses of my mind. Thank you for the clarification though. ;)

not yet its been snowing and freezing rain here for the last 2 days... ive been writing down everything to do so it should be soon. im going to pep boys or some kinda store like it to see how much the compression test will run me. also with all the cranking finds out my "new" battery i just bought....died...isnt that some poop on a stick...

Hey guys i just remembered something... remember how i told you the car has been garage kept and not driven for 3 years. well..so has the gas. it ran fine on the barely alive b16a so i guess i might have overlooked it. the gas was about a gallon maybe 2 gallons left in the tank when i swapped the motor and then i added another 2 gallons of new gas. do you think this maybe be causing the problem?

i think im gonna go buy one of those battery jump boxes so i dont need to take the battery to a store to get it charged anymore. i single tear dripped down my cheek this morn when i went to turn the key and it didnt make a sound... haha

Umm ya, or I suppose you could be out of gas. I hadn't even considered that a possibility. It would probably still fire on bad gas, especially with a couple gallons of new gas in it. Of course, gasoline will gum up pretty quickly. Try draining your tank and refilling it with high octane and some fuel injector cleaner. The B18 in my EJ fired right up with 7 month old gas...?

Back