CR-Z announced.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

How about 1 1.0L motor directly powering a generator, and 4 electric motors? 2000 ft lbs of torque anyone?

:concur:

basically a scaled down version of the same system they have been using on locomotives for quite some time now

hell you probly dont even need a 1L engine... a small CC engine designed to run at peak efficiency powering a generator that pumps electricity into battery packs that power the electric motors that move the car

battery technology is currently allowing 200-300 mile ranges for strictly plug in electric cars...

give it the option of charging off of a power outlet so people can plug it in to recharge without using fuel... and allow the generator to run independently of the car, so it can recharge itself while the car is parked...

integrate a solar array into the roof of the car to provide some more charging assistance

combine all of that with the regenerative braking that is currently in use for most hybrids, and you can have a car that produces extremely low emissions, uses very little fuel, and still has a virtually unlimited range like a current gas powered car...

They really do need to get this hybrid thing under control. The insight (OG) was a great little car. Light, zippy from what I understand, and it got, correct me if I'm wrong, the best mpgs out of any other hybrid car, though it was the first hybrid released in america. Doesn't catch on, toyota releases a shitty, uneconomical, slow as hell half glass turd and every one goes fucking crazy, so honda reinflates it to enormous proportions, then sticks it out there. Looks like hell too. I hope the crz makes up for the insight.

Yeah, people were getting 100mpg a tank with no mods. Crazy.

If anything, bring back the original Insight! I STILL haven't been able to find one for sale. I see less and less of them on the road too.

plain and simple, the insight was ahead of it's time.

if it came out spring of 2008, it quite possibly could have been the best selling car of our generation. instead, people who wanted fule efficiency were cornered into a prius.

Americans are always behind the curve in technology and consumerism.

Just think, you could have awd launch mode.. then one wheel powered cruising for efficiency. What a monster that could be. Traction control could power all four wheels independently from 0-100% power. Ice? Dirt? Auto-X? No problem. Kill a super car in the quarter and then drive laps around a prius while it fuels up.

good in thought, but it would falter in execution. the awd drivetrain and electronics would add a lot of weight, reducing efficiency. now put that on an evo or sti and you've got something going.

I'm sure it would weigh more, but it would be more efficient and 10x more powerful. Well, you can give it all the power you want, with electric motors, you are pretty much limited to what your axles/drive train can handle. What if they could get the weight of the electric motors down and mount them directly into the wheel hubs? Whoa.

Tap into Honda's motorcycle technology, re-tune a 600rr motor.. Super light, plenty of power. They make generators too. They have all the technology to do this.

Just think, you could have awd launch mode.. then one wheel powered cruising for efficiency. What a monster that could be. Traction control could power all four wheels independently from 0-100% power. Ice? Dirt? Auto-X? No problem. Kill a super car in the quarter and then drive laps around a prius while it fuels up.

The Nissan Micra(I think it was this), had the rear wheels driven by a electric motor. It was only used for launching/accelerating; cruise was taken over by the engine. The battery system for the rear electric engine is similar to what's being used on hybrids. The new GTR was speculated to have a similar system but as we all know, it doesn't.

I've thought about trying to do something like this a while back with my CRX. But, sourcing a similar motor was hard and didn't want to deal with extra batteries along with setting up and programming the motor controller.

this still doesn't change the fact that I want a 1.5l lean-burn fit engine with the accord v6's IMA system. That would haul ass.

thats what the yahoo article said it was going to have 2 days ago...said it was fitted with the Fit 1.5L and Hondas IMA system

Corrections, Insights 1.5 with IMA

This spiritual successor to the venerable Honda CR-X originally made its debut as a concept car two years ago at the Tokyo Motor Show. And now, at this year’s show, Honda has revealed a new CR-Z, a 2-seat hybrid sports coupe that looks very much like the final production version scheduled to go on sale in the U.S. in the second half of 2010.

"Beyond great styling and features, the CR-Z will bring new levels of engagement and fun to customers interested in a small car or a hybrid vehicle," says Eric Berkman, Honda’s vice president of planning.

Fitted with a 6-speed manual transmission and sport-tuned suspension, the upcoming CR-Z certainly will be engaging for the driver, the first hybrid sports coupe on the market. Although the car on display at Tokyo has a tiny back seat, the production CR-Z (which makes its worldwide debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January) is a sporty 2-seater, one with the added practicality of a hatchback.

Conveying its fun-to-drive nature, the CR-Z boasts a bold grille, slit openings for the headlamps and strong character lines that give this Honda an aggressive, angular look. It’s taller and less rounded that the original concept, making it much more practical and ready for production.

One styling cue that connects the CR-Z to the highly entertaining original CR-X is the shape of the rear quarter glass. Beneath the hood, the front-wheel-drive CR-Z is powered by a stronger version of the Insight's 1.5-liter 4-cylinder hybrid powertrain. Honda’s Integrated Motor Assist works like an electric supercharger, effectively boosting both off-the-line response and fuel economy.

The CR-Z concept's interior features more glitz than the production model will, but the layout will remain the same, with the main instrument bezel positioned behind a 3-spoke steering wheel flanked by pods for the auxiliary controls. With the CR-Z—which goes into production at Honda’s Suzuka factory in February—it appears that we will now be able to mix a healthy dose of driving fun with environmental consciousness.

Last edited:
CRX has sex with S2000 ..... prius performs the birth..... out comes the CRZ

plain and simple, the insight was ahead of it's time.

if it came out spring of 2008, it quite possibly could have been the best selling car of our generation. instead, people who wanted fule efficiency were cornered into a prius.

Americans are always behind the curve in technology and consumerism.

i do agree the insight was ahead of its time... but i dont think it coming out in 2008 would have made it fare much better

it was a marketing failure on Honda's part... end of story

the original insight was sold through model year 2006... gas prices were topping $3/gal through 2005 and 2006... doubling from where they were just a year prior, people were flipping the hell out wondering how they could ever survive, and people still didnt buy it

no one knew anything about them, other than that it was a small electric "hybrid" car
no one knew about them... hell even when i went to check out the one i ended up buying, one of the first things i said to the dealer was that i wanted to drive it to see if it could get out of its own way or if it was going to be like the old 3cyl geo metros

we pulled out of the lot and i accelerated into traffic, and was pleasantly surprised... it got up to speed without any problems... then i took it to some twisties and put it through some turns... again i was pleasantly surprised... took it through some hilly roads and again was pleased... i went back and signed the papers

it got the best MPG of any car out there... real world as well as rated
it was faster from a stop light than SOHC civics
it handled on par or better than most factory hondas
the interior was plenty roomy for 2 adults
the seats were comfortable for long drives and still supportive enough for spirited driving and autocross
it cruised at 80+mph with no problems
mine topped out at 113mph
it did well driving in inclement weather
it had REAL CUP HOLDERS
the hatch area had plenty of room to carry cargo (for instance: a 13'x15' dome tent, a queen sized air mattress, a bicycle style pump and a battery powered pump for the air mattress, sheets blankets and pillows, camping lanterns, a 30qt cooler, 2 camping chairs, 2 medium sized duffel bags filled with clothing and such, 10"x8"x14" box of other random shit... and some other stuff but you get the point... all fit in the hatch area without blocking the view out of the rear view mirror)

while i owned my insight i came in contact with several prius owners who were PISSED THE FUCK OFF when they found out that i was averaging 65MPG driving like an asshole, and they were barely able to break into the mid 40s driving like normal respectable people... they'd really flip out when i told them that when i did drive it easy i managed to average 73.2mpg for that tank

they bought their prius for the same reason i bought the insight... commuting, daily driving, saving money on gas, etc... they payed more money, got 2 extra seats that they had no use for, and got 20 less miles per gallon...
mostly because they didnt know anything about the insight prior to buying the more popular and better marketed prius....
now sure a lot of the blame belongs to the uneducated consumer, but even when i went looking for information about the insight, there simply wasnt any to be had other than some tidbits about the specs and half assed explanations of some of its features

you never saw them advertised on TV or in magazines
you never saw them featured at dealerships
they never had demo days

marketing FAILURE

i believe in 2006 people still were in love with their suv's. people were employed and willing to pay the extra money for the gas.

when the shit hit the fan, honda already found the hybrids as an unmarketable item. again, the japanese, mainly honda gods, underestimate what americans want.

look at nissan. they are selling tons of G37s and 370z. yet honda wont make an rwd. honda came back with it's piece of shit, wannabe prius when all it needed to do was market the current product better.

there are too many cars in the mix.

companies should make the following.

1 SUV
1 Hybrid
1 rwd sports car
1 fwd econobox
1 luxury sedan

we don't need 27 different crossovers or pos econoboxes.

Or you could save $10,000, and buy a really nice factory rex, and not have to do shit. Or even buy a dinged up insight for thousands less.

E is correct. Honda marketing blows and it always has. Honda is a very conservative company. When they latch on to something, they stick with it for a long time. This applies to FWD and their marketing company.

Back