D16y8 n/a build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

It's looking good man. :thumbsup:

P.S. I'm forever checking out both of your builds nowadays for updates. :D

you have got to be the only one. for right now my builds have stalled. I am kinda at a crossroads with both of them. Its like continue with the civic get it back to decent shape or continue with the Trans Am and finish it quicker. Right now I am leaning towards the civic again. I got frustrated with the Trans Am after working on it a while ago. I busted open one of my knuckles replacing the spark plugs that have been in there since who knows when.

I feel you man. I can't continue with my B build because well, I have to pay the parts off rist. haha Here and there I pick up parts for my D build, so it's as if a lot and nothing is going on at the same time.

Exactly to the T how I feel. lol. Its like one day I spend $150 on my Trans Am and I'm like hell yeah I made a lot of progress. Then the next I drop $75 into my civic and I'm like sweet more progress on my civic. The funny part is...if I just focused on one of my cars they would be done. I think I have almost decided the civic's to-do list is coming first. The ecu, vtec, new hood, rear bumper, fix guages so they glow again, my 02 sensor, and my exhaust.

Last edited:
I'm trying to regain focus. The HF manifold was just something small...along with some rims I just got, some other parts I'm paying off....yeah, it's getting interesting. haha

It starts to get kind of hard when the parts begin to cost a lot. When it is cheap stuff. Like on my Trans Am. I replaced my alternator, carb., spark plugs, oil, and battery none of which costed over $80. The Carb. being the most expensive at $80. It's really easy to justify buying oil that is like $16, or spark plugs that are $11, or even an alternator that is $38. Getting my job at Goodyear was the best thing that ever happened to my cars...discount at auto parts stores.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention. The f22 throttle body I have doesn't fit. so there goes that plan. Oh well I will be happy just to put the y8 manifold on finally.

I finished porting the manifold. at least for now. I think I probably won't do anymore simply because I don't want to take too much material out of the runners. It will probably be on the car after wednesday. I have the day off and want to take my time on it when I do it so I make sure everything is done perfectly. I am also planning on replacing my valve cover gasket while I am at it. Probably not needed but it can't hurt and I don't know what all was replaced before I bought the motor although I know it has a newish head gasket, arp head studs, and a new exhaust manifold gasket. Obviously it will have a new intake manifold and throttle body gasket after Wednesday as well.

Attachments

• k 001.jpg
    k 001.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 294
That looks really good. What tools did you use to do it?

Thats good to hear! And a dremel tool with a sanding head, a die grinder with a grinding stone, some 1200 grit sanding paper, a scotchbrite pad, a brand new red rag, and some wd40. First I scrubbed down the runners with the scotch brite pad, then I wiped them out blew them out with an air tool, and started with the grinding stone. I was very gentle. I rounded out the edges of the runner just to create a smoother transisition for the air, then I started smoothing out the front 1/2 inch of the runner. I then hit it with the dremel tool and sanding head, finished with the 1200 grit sand paper, buffed it to a pollish with a dremel bit with a buffer. Not that the last step was neccesary at all. After every step I scrubbed it again with the scotchbrite pad, the wd40, wiped them out and blew them out again. I made sure everything was as clean as possible. It takes a lot of patience. I probably shouldn't have even used the grinding stone.

I'm guessing that would be the process in which I round out the edges of the runner so they cause less resistance? By the way does anyone know what a regular y8 manifold looks like color wise? I swear this one looks like it has been painted or something.

How did you do that if you didn't know the company name just a few days ago?

Back