D16y8 n/a build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well I was totally dead set on getting the d15b from hmotorsonline.com but an almost once in a lifetime deal came my way. This guy is selling his 1992 civic sedan for parts because the body is beat to hell, and the axle keeps "popping out of the tranny" However the motor is a rebuilt d15b7 with a new tranny, and some other new parts. Not to mention it has an aftermarket suspension setup. Anyways I should be buying this in two weeks. I plan on stripping the car down to the shell, putting it on craigslist for $300 for a week and then junk it. If someone buys it sweet I make a chunk of money back if not there are junkyards who will pay me $200 to come pick it up. So its a win win situation. In fact I could even use the shell to clean out my garage of scrap metal. lol its like a win, win, win situation.

Also for anyone who wants anything off of this car let me know. I will charge $10 plus shipping for ANYTHING on the 92 except the motor, tranny and suspension. However I will have a ton of parts coming off of my civic as well. So if you need anything from a 98 civic ask me as well. I may be able to help you out.

What's a 'cheap turbo' I got a garrett t25 for cheap. I also have a t67 that I got for cheap. Define cheap.

I have a couple options...I am debating either a jdm d15b, and a jdm b16a. The d15b would cost less around $575, but the b16a sir will put out more power obviously the tranny, ecu, and motor for $1800. I would still need mounts obviously, but for the difference it may be worth the power gain. I do miss the power my integra had...but that was a b18. Either way I plan on putting a full exhaust and running my stock intake box with a velocity cone hidden behind the grill with a K&N drop in filter. If I do buy the b16 swap would some gsr cams add more torque? The motor as is: 170 hp/113 lbs. torque with a 10.2 compression.

Well, there are two ways you can go now. D-series is cheaper to start with, but per-HP costs more. B-Series is more of an initial outlay, but per-HP until about 250 is pretty cheap.

What are your goals? If you want gobs of torque, unfortunately you're building the wrong car. But still, a hopped up D will probably be your best bet. D parts are cheap and if you blow it, everyone has a D to sell. B parts are a little more expensive, but you can grab lots of better performing parts for 'em.

How much money do you have to spend? What is your goal (both power, and what are you using the car for)?

No if everyone had a d to sell I would have a motor in my car already. I can't find them reasonably priced anywhere near me. The b-series swap will give me more initial power to start off with and would satisfy my need for more power at least for a little bit. Honestly I would rather just drop a D in and go because I am sick of driving an suv over 40 miles a day to work and back. My civic would do that drive 5 days a week and have some gas left come the weekend, the suv doesn't do nearly as well. Plus the b16 tranny has shorter gears so I would enjoy the power a bit more, and I could also invest in an lsd if it doesn't come with.

The GS-R cams would give you a nice little power bump for relatively cheap. Not a bad option for a B16 budget build...

Alright that works...what about type-r cams? Would they give anymore power than the gsr cams? Either way having a b16 in my car rather than a y8 like I have had will feel like a big change in power. I think I have almost settled on that swap however I have also thought about just waiting and finding a block for cheap dropping it in and selling my civic for an Integra that I can build up myself. It is between those two options as of now. Should I go the second route I think I may try and sell my Trans Am as well. Right now I am just sitting back and mulling over my options.

Type R cams would work as well. The B16's camshafts are probably the most conservative of all the dual-cam VTEC engine cams, so anything else is an improvement.

As for the other question, I dunno mam, that's a tough one... :shrug2:

I don't know. Not a whole lot of people have b-series civics around and there are a ton of civics around here all d-series for the most part so I think that is the route I wanna go. Even though it is a civic I want it to be somewhat unique. Which is kinda why I am proud to own a 4 door civic.

While I am doing the swap I was thinking a lightweight flywheel, and maybe a better clutch? any preferences on brands? I figured only like a stage one clutch if anything just so it is a little beefier but not overkill. But I am kinda intrigued by this whole b16 with gsr cams plan. I think that is the way I will probably go.

The clutch will depend on how much power you plan on making. If you intend on keeping things relatively stock or doing some minor building (the cams for instance) then a Stage 1 should suit you just fine. Anything beyond that will be a bit harsh for daily driving, but necessary if you're making a lot of power...

Don't put a new clutch in until you cook the stock one. You'll thank me later for this tidbit of wisdom.

I am still waiting for my reason why on that clutch....

anyways I found a b18 with mounts, accessories, manifolds, axles, wiring harness, and ecu for $400, it has relatively high miles at 173,000 miles but it is coming out of an automatic 4 door integra so it couldn't have been driven too too hard. But also I found a gsr manual tranny for $80. That is pretty much the whole swap for $480. But I would need an exhaust, and the manual ecu of course. I know 173,000 miles is a lot but with dropping a b-series motor in I now have a couple more options with more power than the d-series motors which is something I have been craving.

Anyways a couple questions for you B-series guys...Any preferences for a full exhaust that is relatively cheap?

A GSR tranny for $80? Holy cow! Either that is the deal of the century or something is wrong with it. Do you know how many miles it has on it Sam and who owned it before?

I'm not a "B-series guy" yet...more like one in the making...haha...but I just went to the muffler shop and had them make me what I wanted. It was relatively cheap, though it seems that a properly tuned exhaust is definitely worth it from what I have seen. Then again, I really don't know. Best of luck! :thumbsup:

It needs to be reassembled, and he said he didn't know how many miles are on it...Which is why he is selling it so cheap. However I have the rare oppurtunity to look at the gears and such as it is disassembled.

Back