D16y8 n/a build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

On the flip side, a properly sized turbo will exhibit most of the same characteristics, which is why there are turbocharged F1 engines. I mean, how often are you going to be below 3000rpm while racing? :)

Rarely. Unless it's diesel. ;) And if you drive the track properly, you shouldn't be at partial throttle all that much either. ;) In any case, I still like my all motor engines!

Why wouldn't people use forged pistons? It makes sense. Then again, there's that word that most people at my job don't know the meaning to...sense.

Cost.

Vitara pistons are from the Suzuki Vitara, which uses cast pistons like pretty much everyone else. The juxtaposed advantage and disadvantage is that they provide ~8.5:1 compression in a D16. Good if you're a cheap-ass and want 400whp, but that compression makes the engine have a lot less off-boost power. Where, with forged internals, you can run a little bit higher static compression and back the amount of boost off a tad so you get more off-boost power and similar peak power with less boost.

I thought they were stronger than the d-series pistons due to some sort of coating they have. And I priced out the parts for my head and I plan on going with skunk2 parts.

I'm pretty sure that it's the low compression that keeps them from blowing up.

The Vitara pistons that FJT sells on Honda-Tech are NOT OEM Vitara pistons. They're aftermarket replacements for OEM applications, and they are cast from a different aluminum alloy (T-6 I think) and also have a heat resistant coating on top. That plus the compression ratio in the D engines are what make them so desirable, along with the price!

The Vitara pistons that FJT sells on Honda-Tech are NOT OEM Vitara pistons. They're aftermarket replacements for OEM applications, and they are cast from a different aluminum alloy (T-6 I think) and also have a heat resistant coating on top. That plus the compression ratio in the D engines are what make them so desirable, along with the price!

Now this is good information to know, Mike. Thanks man. :D

Thats cool I wish I had musical talent not neccisarily to play in a band but even just to jam for myself. I will check out your band though.

Since my thread died because in reality, I ran out of funds in order to post pictures of neat little things I have bought (which WILL pick up soon enough) and really, people want PROGRESS...haha...I have adopted this as my surrogate thread. :D

I'm glad to hear that but pics will be few and far between. but I have no problem with people just b.s. ing in my thread. And I would like to learn bass and have for a long time but the older I get the more responsibilites I have which means more cost, less money to spend on stuff like that. By the way I checked out the band but not really my type of music but they sound like they have a lot of talent. Which is really what counts. I love to watch bands get on stage and love their own music even if the crowd isn't into it.

true, but right now my wallet is way too thin. by the way I have a question for you guys....My power steering belts keep getting frayed on the inside very quickly...I know it is because the lower pulley isn't tight enough. Can I just jack the car up, take the wheel off, and tighten it with a socket?

Alright just checking. And your right except my rich ass cousin. personal banker who plays just about any instrument he touches. Kid is crazy. But yeah what kinda music do you like to play/listen to?

exactly. the more people you know the more people you are connected with someone is all like "hey man I know this sick ass drummer" next thing you know you are drumming for a band that is the sound you want making good money doing it.

Damn 20 years? you have been playing drums since before I was ever even a twinkle in my parents' eyes. At least you stick to it that long that is one thing I hate about myself. Sometimes I quit on a project before it is finished because I get bored or discouraged. But that is in the past. I finally have the motor I want, the suspension setup I want, and the know how and resources to begin to finish this project.

that is one thing I like about this business. Sometimes people have to sacrifice making good money to do what they love, where as if I do a good job and become pretty fast at it I will make really decent money. A guy was a dodge mechanic was making $100,000 + a year.

This is true. That mechanic I was talking about sold me my trans am but before he bought the trans am he had restored a 60's malibu. That thing was beautiful it sold for like $25,000. The T/A was gonna be his next project til his wife decided she wanted something else.

That is all extra cash on the side. He is one of the best and was at the same dealership for like 15 years til he decided to open his own shop. He was making that $100,000 at the dealership for like at least the past 5 years. Not that I am expecting to make that type of money. I would be happy making half that.

I have been looking into port and pollishinh my own head I have a junk yard head to practice on first of course. In the write ups I have looked at none of them mention port matching the exhaust runners to those of your header, but could power gains be seen by port matching these runners to the header as well or would it be pointless?

Back