D16y8 with turbo... what parts should i use ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ZooM-ZooM

hello ! i am a newbie around here...so i need some help with my d16y8 engine...on my '94 del sol ( http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3006747 )

at first i want to let you know that this project will be shown at my graduation exam @ college (i am from Romania and i'm studying Automotive Engineering, final year)

the first stage is to order a turbo intercooler kit from ebay (i know that's not the best choice but i have limited founds). this kit includes :

T04E Turbo
.50 A/R Compressor, .63A/R Turbine
450HP Capable
T3 Flange to Manifold
5 Bolt Downpipe Flange
Oil Lube/Cool
3" Inlet Diameter & 2" Outlet Diameter

Bar and Plate Turbo Intercooler
27x7x2.5
2.5" outlet and inlet
150 to 130 Degree Temperature Drop

Cast Iron Turbo Manifold for D-Series
Made of High Grade Cast Iron
Keeps Power Steering and Air Conditioning

Uses T3 Turbos and 35MM/38MM Wastegate Flanges
All nuts and bolts included
Direct Bolt on

38MM Wastegate
Utilized 35MM/38MM Flanges
V-Band top allows for quick changing of springs
Flanges and Gaskets are included
Designed to release gas efficiently
Better Control of Turbo
Direct Bolt on

Turbo Downpipe
Stainless Steel Design
Direct Bolt on (however requires rebending when used in conjunction with cast manifold)

Bolt On Intercooler Piping Kit
Direct bolt on
Stainless Steel T Bolt Clamps

silicone Hoses
Bolt on piping kit, silicone hoses, t-clamps, turbo intercooler, t04e turbo charger, cast iron turbo manifold, downpipe, pen style turbo timer, mt boostcontroller, type-s bov, turbo flange pipe, 38mm wastegate, oil drain line, oil feed line, and 3" air filter.

the link is below,i hope i am allowed to put it here
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__T3-T4-D-SERIES-TURBO-KIT-D15-D16-DEL-SOL-CRX-HONDA-SOHC_W0QQitemZ160289490196QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2865QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160289490196&_trkparms=72%3A543%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

do i need something else,beside the fuel management and gauges ?

i've also read about vitara pistons somewhere but i don't know for sure what kind of pistons i need for my stage 2 project,and what other internals i should change in order to get more power from this engine. (i'm thinking about 300 horsepower at the end of the project)

let me know if you have advices,links that could help me or other info.
10x a lot !

300 whp won't be reliable with that turbo kit on that engine, especially stock.

If you're wanting to turbo, AT LEAST get a decent turbo and wastegate. You don't want boost spikes, or that turbo to come apart and run a bunch of shit through your engine. Be smart about this. You get what you pay for, turbocharging a car isn't something to be taking shortcuts on.

As far as tuning (once you get to that point), you can go with CROME, a free program that most tuners are familiar with.

Oh and BTW, there is going to be TONS of little miscellaneous shit you are going to need, especially with an eBay turbo kit.

if you on limited funds, stick with a stock motor turbo build, and boost no more then 7-9 max psi, vataras are good but your going to need some head work to suport them, including atleast a mild port and polish, a 3 angle valve job. Also rods on the y8s are the weak spot and are not good for over 270hp.

Also not included with that kit, you will need atleast 450cc dsm injectors and a resistor box if you are trying to stay on the cheap side. Also you going to need a larger fuel pump like a walbro 255

Better rod bearing cap bolts is what I would do first....FYI

so the turbo kit from ebay drops....

i found on e bay the pistons and the rods,all forged.
also the fuel injectors.... what kind of turbo should i go with ? i wanted the gt28 or gt 30 but nothing came along so far,only hybrids t3/t4 :(
i think i will go a little slower on purchasing good parts than all togheder and crappy.

Yes, and do TONS of research. Don't just buy a turbo to have one. Pick one that will spool when you want it, and produce the power you want when you want it.

Back