d16y8

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Here's the story:
I bought a 1990 Civic CX, bought the MPFI swap and swapped it over myself, expecting to use the d15b2 engine I had but ended up getting a d16a6 block and the y8 head for about $120 so I picked both the block and head up. I pulled the d15b2 out and painted my engine bay now it's waiting for my "mini-me" swap. I'm currently doing a stock rebuild on the y8 head, only difference is that I'm using a Crower stage 1 cam instead of OEM.

Here's the story:
I bought a 1990 Civic CX, bought the MPFI swap and swapped it over myself, expecting to use the d15b2 engine I had but ended up getting a d16a6 block and the y8 head for about $120 so I picked both the block and head up. I pulled the d15b2 out and painted my engine bay now it's waiting for my "mini-me" swap. I'm currently doing a stock rebuild on the y8 head, only difference is that I'm using a Crower stage 1 cam instead of OEM.
If your car is a CX that means you must live in Canada!

So you have a MPFI intake manifold, right?

Yes, I live in the best country in the world (I see you do too!!). I have the a6 manifold, I'm going to sell it and upgrade to the d16y8 mani. because it has bigger ports and I'm possibly going with a P&P job, a definite valve job with new valves, new valve stem seals, new Crower stage 1 cam and AEM cam gear, hot tank service.

I'm doing all the headwork myself (and it's my first time) is there anything I need to watch out for?. The only stuff I wont be doing is the valve regrind and hot-tanking (also P&P if I go with it)

Ya, you'll be fine. I've seen the Y8 manifold on before but I didn't know if it fit right. I have a Z6 sitting in my room right now and I'm rebuilding it with a A6 block. I have everything except for a P28 which I'm getting soon. Your car will be faster though because its a CX and I'm an Si, oh well.

CX is better than an Si, thought it was different, I had to buy an Si guage cluster off a guy so that I'd have the tach!, lol. So what your saying is that the y8 mani didnt fit well on the y8 head?. I have a Si block and head so we should be crusing side by side on the track!:p.

CX is better than an Si, thought it was different, I had to buy an Si guage cluster off a guy so that I'd have the tach!, lol. So what your saying is that the y8 mani didnt fit well on the y8 head?. I have a Si block and head so we should be crusing side by side on the track!:p.
I know the CX is better than an Si, well kind of. Its lighter but it won't handle as good beacuse the Si has front and rear anti-roll bars. I'm pretty sure the Y8 manifold will go on fine, I've seen it before I just don't know if anything has to be altered. Someone else can help you out with that one. Do you have a Si tranny though.;) Shorter gears and I will be gone, but not by far.:( I'm eager to find out how my Z6 swap will turn out and yours too my friend, best of luck.:thumbsup:

I have a set of Skunk2 pro-c springs 2.0" drop in the front and 1.8" in the rear, I just need struts and sway bars and it'll perform like an Si. I wanna come to your home town someday and see how my car and yours stack up. You must have the Si discs in the rear then (obviously!), if so yours would stop ALOT better, lol!. Also, I don't have the Si tranny is that recommended?

Last edited:
All Civics of that generation came with rear drums, only CRX Si's 1990 & 1991 came with rear discs. But I do have rear discs off a 90 Integra aswell as the prop. valve and master cylinder/booster and it stops SOOOO GOOD. Instead of heaving foreward it stops flat and fast, pedal feel is incredible. The Si tranny is very nice but on my dads ef he used a DX tranny with the longer final drive for commuting. I like my Si tranny though. In the future I'm getting Tokico shocks/springs too, so it should be a even battle.

Where do you live btw?

lmao, yeah we rule this thread now buddy!. I picked up a Y8 timing belt at my local Automotive Warehouse today because I'm gathering parts until I find a job, hehe. Next is the ARP mixed set of studs and a head gasket (reason is that I'm building from the block up as I buy the parts). would you suggest a Stage 3 head?. Actually, buddy, I bought the new Haynes manual "Haynes EXTREME Sport Compact Performance" book today and it's really awesome!!!:).

It is a virgin P06 but was definately getting any ECU I got chipped, what chip would you recommend for the P06 and do I need to get it VTEC compatible??. Thanks a TONNE for all your help man. I'm doing a (stage3) engine build then Garret t3/t4 turbo when I get the funds for it!!. I need to find a tuner for when I'm done as well, but I'll think about that after:p.

It is a virgin P06 but was definately getting any ECU I got chipped, what chip would you recommend for the P06 and do I need to get it VTEC compatible??. Thanks a TONNE for all your help man. I'm doing a (stage3) engine build then Garret t3/t4 turbo when I get the funds for it!!. I need to find a tuner for when I'm done as well, but I'll think about that after:p.
Idk after here, start your own thread.

Back