D16z6/d16y7 Hybrid

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Faded

Hello, Newbie here...a few questions for you since I can't seem to get answers anywhere else. Will a Z6 head fit on the Y7 block in my '98 Civic DX? If I do the swap, what additional hardware is required? I've seen the Mini-Me swaps on the A6 blocks, is this much (any?) different? Future plans are to rebuild the head, some sort of F/I cam (any recommendations?) and a slightly thicker head gasket so I'm ready when I get my turbo stuff together. Any other recommended upgrades I should do while I have this apart? It'll be a daily driver, maybe 1 or 2 runs down the strip when I'm done. I'm willing to comprimise maximum output for reliability. Car has 55k miles now.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

Would the Y8 head be a better choice? I gess most people are ditching thier D motors for B16/B18s...

y8 head is a better choice. its the same obd as you, and it flows a little better than the z6. its the same as you read on the a6 blocks... minus the fuel stuff.
just wire in the vtec stuff, and use a 96-98 EX ecu, and you're good to go

people are going b-series cuz b-series is where its at :) d-series just don't have what it takes.

pissedoffsol,

Thanks for the reply...So I'm looking at getting the head, head gasket and EX ecu and that's it? When you say wire in the vtec stuff, what all is involved? Also, do you know if my Y7 valve cover will fit the Y8 head? Sorry for all the questions....

And thanks to who-ever moved my post.

Z6 head flows better, Y8 intake manifold flows better.

The Y8 head is still probably your best choice though, since it's OBD2 and will bolt right up and wire right in with your OBD2 equipment. The combustion chambers are a bit smaller too, so you'll gain some extra power from the increaseed compression.

I don't know about the Y7 valve cover.

Back