DOHC or SOHC???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Jul 30 2003, 11:17 AM
3. (with an N/A you want a little bit of exhaust overlap< that is nmot possible with a SOHC)

Sure you can...you can get a custom grind that has more overlap. But it's unable to be tuned like a DOHC is.

I think what karn is saying is that yes, you do get more tunability with the DOHC design, but that most people will never use it. How many people with swaps even know what the fuck DOHC means and what it does? There is no argument that B series is a better motor for performance, stronger parts, and a better design for for unleashing/creating more power. It's all where your price range is. If you have 3000$ dollars, you will get more results out of your SOHC then if you spend the 3 grand on a swap. But as you go higher, say 5000$, at that point switching to a B series would get you higher HP. It's all about money, as usual.

What do you mean "most people will never use it"? Do you mean most people don't advance or retard their timing? Change the cams to higher duration and lift ones? Help me out... Thanks :mellow:

I can see some truth in that statement. Most people I know honestly don't.

Peace*

And for those people, stick with a SOHC but for the rest of us who plan on making some good power, want the tunability and want our parts to last longer, move to a b-series

Im suprised that no one has talked about the larger displacement you can get with a B. If the b18 was sohc, id probobly still get one

And as for the whole cost thing. Ive got a B18a almost ready to go into myy car and it has cost me - $50. If you play your cards right, anyone can do this.

I never thought about boring out or stoking a D-series... How far can you go? Would it really be worth it?

And how did you get a B18A for 50 bucks?!? :eek: Thanks for your help!

I don't remember ever seeing a stroker kit for the D-series motors. Do they make them? I know I've seen over-sized pistons, but no stoker kit. What kinda hp and torque could you expect from a stoker kit for a D16Y8, with i/h/e?... Thanks for the help!! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Jul 30 2003, 06:17 PM
quad four= half of a v8. NOT an inline bank of four cylinders tho, GM thought they could be cool and cut the v8 the other way, so its setup like a box of four cylinders instead of an inline bank.

The quad 4 is an inline 4 layout, not a V4. Afaik it was called quad 4 because of the 4 cylinders with 4 valves. They were available in SOHC and DOHC. The new "Twin Cam" used in the Sunfire GT/Cavalier Z24 is a new version of this design, a 2.4L DOHC and makes only 150hp. The original quad 4 DOHC had more power, but from what I've heard weren't very reliable.

Originally posted by scottp11@Aug 14 2003, 09:19 PM
I never thought about boring out or stoking a D-series... How far can you go? Would it really be worth it?

In short - No, probably not. You can do ANYTHING if you have the money. Before you make any decision, read, read, read. Don't take anything anyone says on this board or anywhere else on the internet as truth. Form your own decisions. Reserch. Decide what your goals are and what you want out of your car.

B series are simply better engines. But the price difference may not be worth it to you. You more than likely already have the D series. Nothing is cheaper than something you already have. A turbo on a D series is a very potent, low buck power plant. If you are going FI you will want a low compression ratio and a stronger bottom end. Check it out and talk to people.

P.P.S. - SOHC RULES!!!!!!
<---- Wishes he still had the sohc civic instead of the dohc integra.... :(

Back