Ebay Special- Short Shifters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Andrew

I have a 1991 CRX Si, thats about to get a b16a1, and I was just wondering if those $15 short throw shifters from Ebay are beneficial at all?

Does the actual shift 'throw' shorten a bit?
Is it bad for the the tranny in any way?

Thanks
-Andrew

they are cheaply made with shitty material and they brake
fuck those things

i've had a couple of them.. one on my old car and one on my current car.. i've had no problems with them... yes it did shorten my shift, but if its more than the namebrand ones.. i dont know, i've never had one...

If you're on the cheap, try cutting down your stock shifter a bit. Don't go balls wild like some ricers do, so that the knob is in the boot - though. I did it on mine, and I love it - especially with the ES bushings.

Quoted post[/post]]
If you're on the cheap, try cutting down your stock shifter a bit. Don't go balls wild like some ricers do, so that the knob is in the boot - though. I did it on mine, and I love it - especially with the ES bushings.

If you're actually looking to reduce throw without sacrificing height, take the stock rod to a shop and have them extend the bottom part.

I'm not on a budget, but was just curious.
Obviously a name-brand one will perform better and be made of better materials(and hate me all you want, but I don't believe you when you say you broke it in half. If you did, LAY OFF THE STEROIDS =))

I might pick one up and give it a shot.
If I don't like it, and I see a problem, I'll just pick up a nice one, or just go back to a stock one.

Thanks fellas
-Andrew

I used to beat the living shit out of my shifter...never had a problem.

I actually bought one for the Audi because I hated the push down reverse and the throws were kinda long. I beat the living shit out of this shiter too and no problems yet.

How do you like it?
Have you used crapy Ebay ones to compare it(shift throw)?

My ebay special broke while it was in the shop getting new tires put on, so they payed me for a replacement OEM shifter which I prompltly returned for a $100 rebate on my tires :) !!

I have the cheaper B&M w/ ES bushings and a Neuspeed in my current car; IMO Neuspeed>B&M. The more expensive B&M *should* be better though.

Quoted post[/post]]
I have the cheaper B&M w/ ES bushings and a Neuspeed in my current car; IMO Neuspeed>B&M. The more expensive B&M *should* be better though.

think neuspeeds are in the $40-70 range? jsut guessing.

And would changing the bushing on a Hasport linkage be beneficial for smoothness, or are they pretty much top-notch?

I had an el cheapo ebay shifter... didn't really have any problems with it...

Another thing to CORRECTLY make your own short shifter is to cut about 1" below the ball, and about 1.75" Above the ball, flip it, and reweld it...

Mine (cheap Ebay) rattles on my exhaust (RSR Exmag)...its really fucking annoying

huh.

It sounds like some people never have a problem and some just break em in half(ha).

I'll go ahead and pick one up. for $10 its worth a try...

Back