Enemy of the State

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

Fuck Connecticut.

Ok, pay attention.

October 13th, Snow is coming, and the Celica and CRX will not be on the road for the winter, so when it comes time to renew my insurance I only renew the Civic. (That, and the Civic is all I can afford). This is common. When you have a car that will sit all winter, you remove the insurance from it and reinsure .. well.. When you're good and god damn ready.

But not in Connecticut.

You see, here (as well as other places) when you pull your Insurance, or it gets pulled from you, the state DMV is notified and they pull your registration. I expected this. So I received letters in the mail mid december not only re-affirming my suspicions, but also giving me a little "heads up" on the $100 fine imposed, per car, for performing such a heinous act as "Storing your car uninsured".

So I shrug, curse the state and resolve to pay the $200 fine ... Later, before I registered the cars. Besides, I was considering a new idea... alittle more on that idea to follow.

Then, at the end of the letter is also a threat (Connecticut state LOVES to threaten it's subjects) that if my registration and insurance is not restored within 30 days, my LICENCE will be suspended. Well this won't do. It's obvious that the state holds no concession for multi-car type people. So I get on the phone with DMV:

Me: "I see here that I have a notice that my licence will be suspended because I dropped 2 of 3 cars from my insurance.. I am still driving the 3rd with insurance coverage on it. Thus, I don't think my licence should be taken."

Them (After the usual asshole conversation .. "You own HOW many cars? Why?"): Our system of insurance connection doesn't really work too well for owners of mulitple cars. Usually, we will see someone with a maximum of two cars, and when we see both cars coming in off of insurance, we'll start the suspension process. I do understand that you have a registered and insured car, and we will not suspend your licence."

Next, More threat letters. In the newest threat letters they are again threatening to suspend my licence .. But NOW they are detailing how I am being fined $100 plus $5 daily until re-registration to a maximum of $540. Multiply by that fine by 2 (Remember, Celica and CRX).

Now, I remembered that conversation I had with them 2 months earlier. These letters are meant for people who have at most, 2 cars. I decide that it's easier to simply register them with a new plate, Or my favorite battle plan. Again, more on that plan later.

In the meantime, from all this shuffling of cars around on my insurance, I get a cancellation on my policy with an outstanding balance of $23.80. I'm dropped basically for the price of a tank of gas. Thanks, assholes. So I call them:

Me: "Hi, I see here that you have dropped me for owing $23.80. Can I just send you the $24 and get back on?"

Them: "According to our records your insurance was cancelled, per your request on October 13th."

Me: "Yes, on two of the three cars."

Them: "No, we were told to cancel the policy completely."

Me: "I've been pulled over twice in this time, and asked for proof of insurance, I presented it - And you're telling me I have been driving un insured for 6 months?"

Them: "Yes, sir. And you should know that driving without insurance in your state is a serious offense"

So I pay them $23.80 + $110 re-application fee. I'm insured. Yay !

DMV time again. My insurance is lapsed. Well, I have no money so I didn't pay the damned bill. So I'm on the phone with them yesterday, getting a quote. This time, I'm quoted $120 to get back on my feet, and just in time for working Friday. But Hark ! A problem!

Not a problem! I didn't see that coming ! My DMV record is "locked down". The insurance agent calls the DMV. The DMV has my file locked because they have just suspended my fucking licence ! Like, while we were on the phone ! The reason... And you'll love this...

Licence is suspended for not carrying insurance on one 1981 Toyota Celica.

Geico says "I'm sorry Steve, We can't insure you now because your licence is suspended. Please call us back when you've cleared this up"

So that's it. In the matter of one golden morning, I am now left without any insurance, any registration, and no licence.

So, fuck Connecticut - I'm getting my goddam licence back and moving all my registrations to MAINE.

I'm Steven Earl, and I endorse this message.

Cliff's Notes: I can't tell you how much I hate Connecticut DMV.

-> Steve

Edit: Also, to get out of all this trouble, I'm selling the CRX and The Civic.

alright now you're just postwhoring. I will NOT let you own the members lounge :)

Fuck that, too much drama.

Move to Cali, where the car to person ratio is like 5 to 1, and the DMV loves it cause it just means more $$$ in thier hands. Other than the 3 hour wait to get to the counter, i have never had that kind of problem at the DMV

Yay ! You did it !

Special Ed.

Anyway, now that within a few weeks I may not be driving a Honda, I'm gonna join the graduates of H-S and get back to my RWD roots. The Celica and the 4Runner have simply been my favorite cars - and while the Hondas simply make more sense to own - As I think we can all agree - I HAVE to cut my car collection down.

I'm not looking to make a buck from H-Sers, but if you're interested I can be talked to about buying them.

-> Steve

ok, You've gotten the member page to read your name entirely for at LEAST one print-screen. Will you hurry up so we don't have to do this all night ?

-> Steve

you know where the CRX will have a good home..... ;)

I just got to convince the wife about another car...hehe

Originally posted by Celerity@Apr 22 2004, 10:58 PM
I'm not moving anywhere. Careful with that Prnt-Scrn button Milan

-> Steve

ace.jpg

/threadjack complete :lol:

Back