1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

exhaust for my truck

Discussion in 'Other Vehicle Discussions' started by Briansol, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

The exhaust on my truck rusted through and broke off. It was a hack job glasspak deal anyway, so i'm not pissed.

Broke right after the 'muffler', but i think i'm just going to get a cat back.

budget is a big factor... i'd like to do this as cheap as possible and have a decent sound, but i'm not picky.

2000 dakota sport, extended cab, 4x4, 4.7 L engine.
    http://www.summitracing.com/search/...hort/Drivetrain/4WD/Doors/2-door/?Ns=Rank|Asc

those are my basic options. most are sub 250 which is great.... but i have no idea how any of them sound.

any suggestions?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Pacesetter = crap, will just follow your current system into the rust pile.

Flowmaster = usually baffles, sounds good but doesn't flow the greatest

Dynomax Super Turbo = usually mufflers have an S-curve path that cuts the high frequencies and still flows really well.

Out of those choices, I would go with the Dynomax. I like how the Super Turbos sound and flow. No experience with JBA.

3. Briansol

yeah, this is the one i'm leaning towards: Dynomax Performance 19324 - Dynomax Super Turbo Exhaust Systems - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Although i like the idea of going to a dual exhaust set up out the back (instead of out the side like stock and the one above does) for just a little bit more.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-19423/?image=large

the ship date kinda sucks though :( and its 90 to ship it, where as the other one is free..... so it looks like the dual setup is out of the question.

4. double0Si

double0Si ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) VIP

Flowmaster has an unbeatable sound and actually flows quite well. Its powerful but not obnoxious. And at least on my Camaro, the interior noise was no more than normal. And with them you get a decent looking side exit tip.
    From their site for this kit:
    [​IMG]

5. 94civicturbo

94civicturbo New Member

just get a flowmaster muffler and have a good shop do the pipes the way you want them its usually cheaper and easier

6. double0Si

double0Si ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) VIP

IDK, 250 is pretty hard to beat for a bolt on system. Flowmaster's fit and finish outta the box would be hard to beat for that price.

7. Jeef

Jeef NO MA'AM Moderator VIP

Have you looked into Magnaflow? I hear nothing but good things about them. The Summit kits are a good value, I hear they are a Dynomax system and use the super turbo muffler. I had these on 3 of my trucks. On one of the trucks I replaced the muffler for a Dynomax Bullet, loud but sounds good. I mean it was loud, pretty much running a straight pipe. Downfall with the Summit kit is that they don't last more than 3-4 years, but you aren't paying much for the system.

Dual vs Single Single is better for low end power where duals you will lose some low end but gain top end power.

With the flow master check out the Dodge boards to see what series works best with your engine.

8. double0Si

double0Si ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) VIP

Magnaflow is a great exhaust manufacturer, they're just too expensive. Just like Borla and Corsa.

9. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

i have a flowmaster 44 on my white car. you dont even hear it.

10. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

i'd go Dynomax w/ muffler shop piping.. cheapest option i'm sure

B, i'd go with the dual..

11. klyph

klyph Dismember VIP

Open manifold

12. Briansol

magnaflows are double the price to start... pretty much out of the question. same for borla, gibson, etc.

Muffler shop couldn't touch these prices.... and it would be crushbent aluminum garbage anyway.

i think the dual is cool, but its $150 more.... and for what? looks? its a work truck, not a toy, so right now money talks, so i think its ruled out.

13. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

14. neonmike

neonmike Senior Member VIP

thats cause you have 87 ground pounding horses, need a little somthin more to make a flowmaster have sound

15. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

Its just a trash/work truck isn't it?

Cheap ass muffler with exhaust shop piping. Done. Who cares what it sounds like? You'll be out the door for $150 or less.

(Actually, that dynomax superturbo I put on my rex sounds facking awesome, and was $35 shipped from amazon.com)

16. klyph

klyph Dismember VIP

Open header.

17. Briansol

well, it's basically my daily drive from nov through april. i mostly use it for getting pellets for my stove and driving around in winter....and work stuff for the house/home depot etc runs in the summer.
    it's not a POS (well, it is a dodge....) but it's not a show truck or anything either. normal daily driver pickup.

18. newb

newb phresh VIP

My brother had the same truck. He put that single exit Flowmaster from above on it. It really sounded good. Id suggest that. He also had a newer 4 door short box Dakota, maybe an 04 or somethin like that. And he put a single in dual out Flowmaster on that one. It sounded a bit better. The costs were so close that I couldnt suggest one over the other. But, it sounds like you dont want duals anyways, so there you go.

I assume yours is the 5.9 or what ever? The V8? Thats what my brothers both were.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  19. Briansol

20. newb

newb phresh VIP

Ahh, that's right. Anyways, they sound pretty good with that Flowmaster kit.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted