F23A1 To Same Engine Swap Questions.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

woot- cleaning and part swapping will probably be tougher then the whole pull lol - well its time to get some rest - cant wait to start again tomorrow- night all.

Day 3 update

well the camera died so no pictures- today was tough- hurting a little bit-

cleaned up the engine bay and the new engine

got off the old flywheel

the bastards who I got the engine from left a dowel pin on the bell housing and it was rusted in so it took forever to pull it out ...

got the tranny off the old motor

went to go put it on the new one and the torque converter came out... im pissed

left off there- the shop closed before i could get the tranny bolted on all the way - have to get that torque converter seated all the way.

had a few new guys helping and they all had different ideas on how to get the tranny off- i told them - you have to get the TC bolts off first - took them a while before they realized i was right.

just a bunch of little nit picky things that made everything take forever.

only thing left really is to get the tranny on- the engine mounts- the power steering pump- water pump in - have to test my alternator - some power steering fluid leaked on it. have to drill that TPS out still and put on the new one , and the belts- I'm so getting this engine in tomorrrow .

oh and the bolts would not fit for the engine stand so this was done from jackstands and the engine hoist.

overall a very unorganized day and it was very taxing- stresswise- and i tweaked my back a little bit lol.

oh and my friend dropped my tranny off the tranny jack - hope it still works ...

little wound up right now- hopefully things will go better tomorrow- having a goodnight 40oz then crashing .night all.

UPDATE 5/6- need help with auto tranny

so day was spent getting the engine built - got it done - and got the engine on the mounts

day 6(today) i finished hooking everything up - I fired it up and ....

It sounded great - all my hard work paid off and there are no leaks and its not overheating and it idles good- no richness in the exhaust.

I go to pull it out and i notice its rough getting into reverse- i get it out and recheck the fluid level. Fluids are good. take it into first(AUTOMATIC TRANNY IS WHAT I HAVE) and its rough getting in. I goto put it into second and the gears feel like they lock up and i am decelerated. And if i goto stomp on the gas i go like 2 MPH. The engine will go back into first(roughly) and drive like normal. but i cant get it past second - I called my mechanic and he said it sounds like its going into some kind of safe mode - he said to got double check all my wiring- which i did and it was fine. Now I look in my hanes book and get to the part about the solenoids and i decide to test them.First I test the Lock-up control solenoid/shift control solenoid - the resitance was within range on both, and with a direct 12v you could hear a distinctive click which means its good. next i try to do the same test on shift control solenoids b/c NEITHER read any resistantce OR clicked when 12v applied - i have test to test the clutch pressure control solenoids cuz the engine is too hot - i will check tonight.

so i am lead to believe those solenoids are bad...

is there ANYTHING else that could possibly wrong with it? really would love to see this working. thanks in advance :)

k so i looked at the car today - got a CEL of 70 - automatic transaxle failure - and on the dash the indicator light for what gear i am in is flashing on the D4 but my car is in PARK- any ideas?

its throwing a code p1768 its about solenoid A but i tested it and it works- disconnected solenoids b/c and now i can get it to drive in 2/3 gear only but i would like this fixed still i want 1st and 4th.

i tested solenoid and and its tested okay- i havent checked b/c yet - but i took them out and they looked clean. It is also leaking ATF quickly - someone said the T/C might not be in all the way or the rear main seal is cracked from when it dropped. not too sure- going to get under there tonight hopefully the engine will cool down enough before it gets too dark outside- i will have updates later tonight.

is it okay to test the solenoids while they are outside of the tranny? its hard and unsafe to take a live 12v down there where i cant reach nor see.

There is a vaccum line on the top of the transmission to the left of the starter when looking at it from the front- the vaccum line is connected to the tranny but i cant see where it goes. its only like 1 foot long so it cant go too far- ive been looking every where - i guess that could cause it not to shift- but as for the leak, that is a big problem. any ideas on the vacuum line?

CV's?

Looks like it is leaking from the CV's they dont look seated in all the way for some reason - they were in all the way when installed - damn..

could that be the reason its not shifting?

do those hold some kind of vacuum seal within the tranny?

its leaking on both sides too and they both look out some -

the T/C area is completely dry-

I can also tell its the CV'c because there is tranny fluid launched all on my bottom end like some fast rotations put it there.

Back