First swap suggestions...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jacomp

Hello all, I'm new to the honda scene as far as the performance part of it. I am restoring a wrecked 98 civic DX with real low miles....has the wimpy D16Y7. Upon finishing the body and paint probably want to do my first swap here a few months down the road. Looking for the easiest one to get some good power without many mods and custom work. From my research and learning I'm leaning towards B16A or B16A2 as being the best move....understanding I need OBD2. My past has been working on american muscle, but I really want to step into the foreign car scene and I love hondas. Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated!

Most B series swaps are pretty similar, certain model engines, and certain model car combination have some unique quirks, but aside from that they are the same. In a 96+ I wouldn't put anything less than a 1.8+ in it. If the car is still sitting on OEM suspension, imo you'd do better to upgrade there, then the brakes, tires, then get a new engine. It will make the car ahndle better with more power, and will make it a lot of fun to drive till you get the engine.

B18C would be the best stock B-series engine to swap, unless you want to get into engine building a B20vtec or something.

Of course, a K-series would be better:p

hey i have a 1994 civic cx that has a blown headgasket on thwe stock engine and need to know what i need to drop in a d16y7 engine i have can anybody help me out with what i need to do the swap??

^ start your own thread :disgust1:

B16s are weak IMO. Go with a Ls vtec swap or a B18c1. I have a B18b1 Ls in my 98 and its not too bad at all. The B18b1 or B20 will bot right into a Dx and you have the right wiring harness. Plus the B20 and B18b1 are much cheaper than the B18c but Vtec rocks.

nah go with a h series in that car it will give v8's a run for there money. way more power and tourqe than any all motor 1.8l will offer. its worth the extra moneythey make good street cars. unless you are lloking for a road/autocross car then go with the gsr

my two cents.. go with the gsr no doubt you see b16s all the time now and there boring, besides if your gonna go with the b18 gsr its a perfect low compression setup for boost later on down the road if you dont wanna go boost later then get the type r with the lsd may be about a grand more but who cares shes badass

if you are looking to do a good b series swap i would make an ls vtech with the b20 block and and b18 water pump and oil pump and b16 head brian crower offers internals for that build and you can get the head dowels for like $10 on ebay the dowels being for the b16 head. if you arne't looking to do that much work i'd go with the GSR b18c other wise i'd try out the new k series engines with the obd2 but you will have to get the k pro i haven't done a k but i've heard really good things about them person ally i love the h series engines

Thread is getting a little old, but I'll bite..

My recommendation is a GSR (b18c) swap. Easy to perform in the EG chassis, making it a great candidate for your first swap. Get an OBD1 engine, bolt it in, plug in the ECU, perform a couple wiring mods, and you're off.

Back