Front end makeover time!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FLounder

power hungry
VIP
My DC badly needs a front end makeover, its getting scary under boost! All the bushings are shot, the tie rods and ball joints are shot too.

So far i have new inner and outer tie rod ends, hardrace LCAs, and a blox traction bar to install. Also intend on getting new axles in there while i have it all apart. Any advice for me on this adventure? It looks like i need a special tool to do the ball joints. Any advice about any special tools i may want for doing this full front end rebuild? Ill post some pics once i start tearing stuff apart.

Well I can tell you as far as when you tear everything apart then put it together you are gonna need to set the alignment. The way I did it was I tied a string to the frame behind the rear tire going to the frame in front of the front tire. Then you adjust the tie rod ends until the string is laying flat across both front and rear tires. If the front tire is set at toe in then the string will be lifted off the front of the rear tire and if it has toe out it will be lifted off of the back of the front tire. Drive the car down the street and back to the house and check the tires with the string again. This is not nearly as accurate as taking the car to a shop to get it done but it beats spending $75+ on them doing it. If you really want you can usually have it just checked for $25 if you wanted to.

Ive used the string method before, I prefer measuring with a tape measure, middle of the backside and middle of the front, I usually set the front 1/4" in on the front side (toe-in) IIRC I dont think you need any kind of special tool for the ball joints.

Nope, if you were planning on re-using them then yes use a ball joint separator, but since he's gonna replace them don't be afraid of hitting the threaded part to knock it out of the socket.

Well, I have made some progress. Axles are out, front LCAs replaced with the Hardrace ones, suspension is almost completely disassembled.

I still need to get the lower ball joint out of the knuckle, i guess just beat it out? And how do you install the new one without damaging it? The boots on the inner tie rods are shredded, and im replacing both inner and outer tie rods. After looking at it, im wondering if its possible to do while the steering rack is in the car? wish me luck!

Last edited:
Some pics so you guys can see what ive been riding around on lol

tegsuspension%20007_zps01741f03.jpg

tegsuspension%20005_zps1557b578.jpg

Here Im starting to make some progress, getting stuff apart...

tegsuspension%20006_zpsab270fab.jpg

check out these pretty new LCAs about to get installed :)

tegsuspension%20008_zpsea19e62b.jpg

Yea you can just beat it out, and the new one when you put it together it will go in a lot easier than the old one came out and will actually stay in place when you tighten the nut.

Got this project almost done. I set the tie rods to the exact overall length that the old ones were at, so it should be close i think. With the car still in the air, the wheels are toed out in the front. I think this is normal due to the suspension geometry when sagging, ill have to put it on the ground and check it out. The only thing im not too sure about is how to set the traction bar preload? I would think it would need to be set with the car on the ground?

Back