1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fwd Drifting - Anybody Else Done It?

Discussion in 'Racing and Driving Techniques' started by B-16Hatch, Feb 11, 2003.

1. B-16Hatch

B-16Hatch Junior Member

The set-up: 270-degree cloverleaf design highway entrance ramp. Some jackass tailgating you because his time is more important than yours.

The preparation: Go faster. Fast enough to where you are STILL IN CONTROL, but you know your ass end is going to come around if you go any faster. Hopefully the jackass behind you will be either brave or dumb enough to still be in your exhaust pipe.

The execution: Jerk the wheel to the inside and immediately begin to countersteer. Accelerate ever so slightly. When you are done having your fun, jerk the wheel to the outside and resume driving like you have some sense.

The payoff: You just looked cool and the jackass has given you some breathing room.

2. gupta_p

gupta_p Senior Member

hmmm .. that's interesting.

my handbrake strategy (to kill traction on back wheels) is seriosuly not doing anything. I handbrake, and i lose traction for a half second, i hear a skid, and it just regains traction immediately.

Is the whole .. steering in the opposite direction thing gonna help you drift?

lol, I just want to see if I can do it .. it seems like it can be done by a weightless civic hb.

3. SixtySecondAssassin

SixtySecondAssassin Senior Member

4. pills_PMD

pills_PMD Super Moderator

5. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

If someone is tailgating,tap the brakes.I cloverleaf doesn't seem like a good place to try drifting.

6. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Are you sure you're talking about drifting? Drifting is all 4 wheels sliding, not just the rear. Just checking. :lol:

I've pulled off a few 4 wheel drifts, but on really crappy tires and going through turns in deserted areas... I would never try it on the highway near other cars.

7. S13Less

S13Less Member

actually you can do a two-wheel drift and be counted as a drift, in this case, the front wheels slide much less than the rear. it's hard to explain, it's more like a long fishtail but that you have to countersteer to prevent spinning for a short period of time. a four-wheel drift is an art, and almost, i repeat almost impossible, in a fwd car.

let me explain how you'd drift in a straight-away. first you gotta get the rear to lose grip (ie. handbrake) and get the tailout.. and get the front wheels pointed straight with the direction you want the car to go in or otherwise parallel with the straight road. Now do the same thing in turns, the ass sliding out and the front wheels pointing where you want the car to go. this is hard in a fwd car, often the car will not drift and jerk back under control, simply fishtailing.

imo if u wanna drift get yourself a 89-93 240sx or 86 corolla gt-s... i used to drift all the time on sharp park, highway 9, 35, 84, (for those of you in the bay area) and even CLOVERLEAFS. Picture a red 240sx drifting while merging with traffic. I used to stick in a loop in a cloverleaf and do it over and over again 2 in the morning.

8. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

let me tell you how to drift:

step 1: buy a 240sx
    step 2: buy sr20-det swap
    step 3: slam it with good suspension, 17's with 235/40's
    step 4: change your name to Hakimiatoiaooiononoya Chang
    step 5: learn how to drive, crashing 5 times a day
    step 6: finially pull off a drift
    step 7: perfect your skill, if there is such a thing

then and only then will you be a drifter :lol:

9. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

The second vid kicks ass. I want my suspention finished

10. 98integrals

98integrals Senior Member

[​IMG]

I dissagree.

step 1: buy a PS2
    step 2 (unless u got the package with the PS2 AND GT3): get Gran Turismo 3
    step 3: buy an ITR or anyother car you want to.
    step 4: play everyday for 2 years and learn how to drift

:lol:

11. pills_PMD

pills_PMD Super Moderator

hayyomoaoihaha chang lol

12. wildbillhatchbac

wildbillhatchbac the OG VIP

come to firestone factory in Bristol on a snowy night (much like last night :D ) and learn to drift with me and Eric aka E solsi . . . we leave messages on friends phones such as . . . "code white, we are go for drift" and we all know its going to be a night of crazy snow drifting through the factorys huge empty parking lot with only a few plowed areas. It usually lasts about 4hrs on a regular visit and its a great time! B is up there alot too and another friend Mike, and SiSteve showed up one night with the JEEP. good thing too, he pulled me off a snow bank . . . the poor S10 was stuck on its belly :lol:

13. FFCiv

FFCiv Senior Member

bristol, CT????? I like like 40 mins from there. (Fld) if I go w/ a civic w/ b18c swap u guys wanna help?

14. wildbillhatchbac

if you got tools and beer . . . sure :p . . . and coffee too :D

15. gupta_p

gupta_p Senior Member

how bad is drifiting for your suspension .. and alignment and stuff??

16. wildbillhatchbac

drifting is dangerous and can be harmful to your suspension, alignment, tires, bumpers, rims, fenders, head, and other valuable body parts. . . thats why its so much damn fun! i cleared a distance of 5ft in the S10 last night jumping a snow bank. . . twice :D

17. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

:werd:

drifting is dangerous when your sitting there in your poor little compact car and some out of control bastard in an S10 comes sliding into you ;)
    jumped 2 snow banks, drove through a few snow banks ranging in size from 1.5-3 ft, went through about 3/4 of a tank of gas in a little under 3 hours,

pics hopefully coming soon :)

18. Capt. Orygun

Capt. Orygun Win the Day

:withstupid:

yeah but it was always the biproduct of the turn rather then the point. And the best way to get somebody off your A$$ is the breke check, also the most liability friendly! :D

19. FFCiv

FFCiv Senior Member

i'm 16 so I could give u money so u can buy your own beers and tools won't b a problem

20. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

True. But I have 4 wheel slid it without any issues... and it'll never happen again, at least not with the tires I have on there right now. :lol:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted