Gardening Thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

beatles.jpg

Ohhhh!!! These guys!

I'd like to grow a garden, I just don't have the time. My neighbor has a good sized garden though, and I get all kinds of fresh vegetables, and he does all the work. It's a perfect compromise.

Not too sure, but I think to grow corn you have to grow at least 4 rows of it because it has to cross-pollinate in order for it to actually produce anything. Or so I've been told.

And I'd be careful about taking water out of that brook/stream the way the EPA is these days. Check into your local regulations if there's any doubt.

if you're serious about the garden you might want to borrow a rototiller
its a pain in the balls to try and turn land by hand
a rototiller can be tricky also, but its much easier and faster

and if you got yourself a nice garden, why not get some cash crops going
local farmers markets and such if you know what i mean

also note, brooks and streams have some nasty parasites and shit that live in there
its usually inadvisable to drink from any open water source without having it tested
but it should be ok for water a garden i assume

Yup, i'm looking into hitting up the rent-a-center for the tiller. They rent them out for a day. Also a hoe :)

I'm thinking the gutter on my shed + barrel is looking to be the better solution (and cheaper). I'm checking craigs list for old whisky/bourbon barrels.

Yup, i'm looking into hitting up the rent-a-center for the tiller. They rent them out for a day. Also a hoe :)

I'm thinking the gutter on my shed + barrel is looking to be the better solution (and cheaper). I'm checking craigs list for old whisky/bourbon barrels.

Those might be kind of pricey. Any type of container will work. I am actually thinking about one of these:

Fiskars Holden 48-Gallon Rain Barrel - 59964966 at The Home Depot

My seed kit arrived today.

I don't feel remotely ripped off. It was a bit expensive, but it has everything. This is awesome. Even has a slide out chart based on last frost day of when to plant and harvest everything.

More seeds that I know what to do with! Could probably plant a couple acres with all of these! lol So i need to go through and figure out what exactly i want to plant (stuff i will actually eat/use)

Attachments

• seed kit.JPG
    seed kit.JPG
    276.7 KB · Views: 250
Right on man.

I'd do a raised garden if it were me, either 5x5 plots with access between each plot or a crescent. That way you don't have to climb into the garden and trample anything(you're a big uncoordinated dude, I am too) and its more efficient in terms of time. I've built them for numerous people. THe big thing with them is, I can hear you bitching in 3 months about being bent over all day and your back hurting or something.

I'm planning to leave about 18-20" in between rows. That should cover my width and give the plats some growth room as well.

There's some tips to keep your dogs away from a garden, such as sprinkling hot pepper (like crushed red pepper) around the border. Google it.

My seed kit arrived today.

I don't feel remotely ripped off. It was a bit expensive, but it has everything. This is awesome. Even has a slide out chart based on last frost day of when to plant and harvest everything.

More seeds that I know what to do with! Could probably plant a couple acres with all of these! lol So i need to go through and figure out what exactly i want to plant (stuff i will actually eat/use)

Damn that's a lot of seeds. Have you decided on what you are going to grow yet? Squash and Zucchini FTW, yummmm.

As for me and gardening, does an indoor cannabis garden count? If so, I just got my electrical done for the grow room and the veg room. Got my control panel installed as well. Now just need to hang the lights and cover the room in some Panda plastic, lay down some linoleum for easy moving and I'm ready. Also, medical marijuana grow, all within the laws of Nevada.

if this is going to be sustainable living, you will want a small electric fence. the red pepper flakes might work for dogs, but there will be other issues such as raccoons and deer.

I throw some tomato and pepper plants in pots on the back porch but thats about the extent of my gardening. My neighbors have a pretty good sized garden, maybe 5-600 sq ft and grow just about everything. That kit looks pretty bitchin, best of luck to you. :thumbsup:

My yard is already fenced in, so i shouldn't have much animal problems.

While pot may be legal in your neck of the woods, it isn't in most states, so i'd prefer it not to be involved in this thread at all.

I've always had a garden since a kid, only time I didnt have one was when I had an apartment. Linh has also always had a garden since back in the Vietnam days. My grandfather's garden was maybe 1/4 acre, my aunt's garden is big enough that she sells to stores/people.

Here's a tip for you, once your stuff starts to grow, spray it down with rabbit repellent spray. Or hire E to shoot the little guys. We have tons around here and they eat everything. I also have a fenced in yard, they dig right under it.

Good luck and keep in mind it's all about the soil, if you're starting from scratch you might want to buy some chit to put down. Also start a compost bin so you'll have stuff to use in the future so you wont have to buy as much soil products

Buy yourself a little tiller too, they make life in the garden so much easier, they can be had for around $200 for the small ones. Doing it by hand also works but gets old fast.

Back