Gardening Thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I second the motion on the tiller. When I was younger we had a smaller garden and the tiller made it a breeze.

I second the motion on the tiller. When I was younger we had a smaller garden and the tiller made it a breeze.

Would one of those weed eater/attachment deals work? I am looking at getting the cultivator attachemtn for my Craftsman weed eater. Farily inexpensive and looks like it would be fine in my small garden.

My yard is already fenced in, so i shouldn't have much animal problems.

While pot may be legal in your neck of the woods, it isn't in most states, so i'd prefer it not to be involved in this thread at all.

For sure.
Feel free to delete if you like.

Would one of those weed eater/attachment deals work? I am looking at getting the cultivator attachemtn for my Craftsman weed eater. Farily inexpensive and looks like it would be fine in my small garden.

A buddy of mine has the ryobi version and it's not good. maybe if it were already tilled, it would be ok.

I'm just going to rent the big one from HD or something. it's like $40 a day. They also have a sale on top garden soil this weekend.
Scotts® 1 cu. ft. Premium Garden Soil - 72251750 at The Home Depot

Should be able to grab 10 bags of this stuff pretty easily, along with my leaf compost from the fall (not much, but there's some).

I've been looking into the worm buckets for composting peels/etc. E eats a lot of bananas and stuff so there will be ammo for the bins.

You know you can get stuff cheaper than that - right? Especially if you are going to be tilling - you can buy cheaper bags of top soil then mix in some peat moss and the like. I am planning on running over my yard with the bagger on my lawnmower to pick up any of the left over leaves from last fall and tilling that into my raised beds in the next week or two. Add that to the dirt I am getting it should be fine for the first year. Too bad it snowed today or I would have been in the yard getting a move on some things.

THat stuff won't go very far. Do yourself a favor and go to the landscape yard on Middle Street next to the Mobile station. They sell good top soil. Start with that as bulk and add some garden soil and/or fertilizer/compost to enrich...

You'll end up buying 100 bags in no time if you're planning on having a large garden.

My neighbor laid their bed today.

put down a layer of leaves and compost and covered it in plastic to start the warm up.

Looks like i need to get out there this week too!

I've already got three tomato plants, two zuchini and a pepper plants sprouting. So far they have each been moved from their starting trays to a larger "green house" made from a Powerade bottle to keep in heat and moisture.

I'm going to try to not use any starter trays. certainly, farmers don't do this. If i don't get anything sticking out of the ground after a week or two, then i'll consider doing some inside work.

just remember, don't use Gatorade to water your plants. they wont grow.

idiocracy.jpg

I'm going to try to not use any starter trays. certainly, farmers don't do this.
wtf kind of grammar is this?
are you plagiarizing your posts? lol

i can't wait to see how this works out for you
i remember working the garden growing up
except we had to carry water to it, and the fruit trees

I'm going to try to not use any starter trays. certainly, farmers don't do this. If i don't get anything sticking out of the ground after a week or two, then i'll consider doing some inside work.

Farmers - no because they use bioengineered seeds for quicker germination and maturing times. Look at the info on your seed packs and see what they say. If the time to maturity is more than 60 days then by the time they produce you are risking cold weathe and frost. There is nothing wrong with starting them indoors. Last year I did not start them early enough and I got my first veggies in early oct and they were small. Just saying.

According to my chart and using ap 24th as the last frost date, now is about the time to start indoor stuff, but i shouldn't plant tomatoes until the end of may. I may get some seed buckets this week and get some indoor stuff i guess.

How about we make things interesting with a "Hondaswap grow-off"? Who can grow the largest single plant, most plants, and most exotic plant. (All plants must be legal to grow, have on ones persons, and consume in all 50 states)

I have no desire to grow a 500lb pumpkin. lol

Why not grow 500 pound pumpkins. You can be the pride of the farmers at the big e and the local fairs.

We already have our seeds in egg containers. We always start them like that and they take off fast.

Its a proven way of getting your plants to grow and healthy at that, our soil is already healthy yet we still start them out in starters.

Back