Gardening Thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Nice.

Yeah, it is a bit pricey the first year, but once you have the investment in, it will break even and eventually profit.

Plus, YOU know whats on the crops and where they came from. And it never sat on a shelf. Can't touch that.

I'm putting in most of my bigger plants tomorrow. My parents are coming oer for dinner and then we're planting (they want to help). Can't pass down free labor.

I agree the first year is the most costly but after that you do not need to buy another drip system and some of the other supplies you need the first time around. You can also ammend your soil over the winter with homemade compost, yard waste and other items. Next year will be way cheaper.

Dustin are you going to can all of that corn?

My folks ended up moving into town so I never even got started on a garden. I am thinking about making a planter for next session though.

Well, my plot is way too small :(

I was able to use maybe 1/3 of my starter plants :( almost 2 whole trays out of 3 left with no room to plant.

253486_10150207969215606_501130605_7037611_6759193_n.jpg

At least there's a few of everything in the ground now.

I will have to re-consider the plot for next year after we see what this harvests. No room for pumpkins, corn, watermellon, cantelope, or anything else i wanted to grow either :(

Last edited:
Dustin are you going to can all of that corn?
I'm not really sure what I'll do with all of it yet. I had planned on only having half that many plants, but when I thinned the plants down I left 2 plants each instead of 1. I'll probably freeze a little, eat a bunch of it every day, and share what I can't eat with some friends or something.

all my plants are basically dead. withered up and brown :( nothing really survived the transplant :(

I might just have to dump seeds in the earth outside without starters if these don't come back to life by tomorrow.

garden bed is complete.

248596_10150205363990606_501130605_7014950_4276399_n.jpg

5 rows for crops running a mix of garden soil (top soil, manure, plant food, organic blend) mixed with the oem earth, heaped up a bit.
black mulch laid in the walk rows x4 to hold water and prevent weed growth
all rocks that i dug up laid nice to make a border to help hold the soil/prevent run off in excessive rain.
still have a ton of rocks (2 piles) to do something with (left center and top right), but i ran out of daylight tonight.

Waiting to see what happens thursday, weather-wise, and then i'm likely putting the crops in the ground.

did you really say OEM earth? :lmao:

Another thought - maybe it was the mulch. It has dye in it and maybe it didn't sit well with the plants...

Some of the dark brown mulch can kill dogs if they eat it. It could be the mulch.

I got some of my stuff planted and I made some planters for herbs. I did buckets and planters to move them.

B, go to Bristols Farm/ Wild Carrot in Canton up on 202. They have plants you can buy that are ready to go. It will set you back a little for the plants but better than nothing.

Last edited:
The mulch shouldn't have effected the plants, as the plants are raised a solid 6-8" over the height of the mulch. The mulch was also labeled as 'great for use in gardens' but who knows.
246999_10150211428965606_501130605_7072595_1996611_n.jpg

:(

i need to figure out why they died. the ones i didn't put in for lack of space are still alive and well in the starter pots.

i need to figure out why they died. the ones i didn't put in for lack of space are still alive and well in the starter pots.

Did you get them ready for the transplant by putting them outside for a couple of hours a day for a week or so? If you didn't then it may have been a huge shock to their system. It is a pain in the ass but you need to do this step since moving from indoors to outdoors is so dramatically different. Also you need to water them daily and thoroughly for the first week or so.

I have pics I just need to get around to getting them off my phone of how my garden is going.

Now you'll plant too late and not survive through winter. :( :rip_1:

Did you get them ready for the transplant by putting them outside for a couple of hours a day for a week or so? If you didn't then it may have been a huge shock to their system. It is a pain in the ass but you need to do this step since moving from indoors to outdoors is so dramatically different. Also you need to water them daily and thoroughly for the first week or so.

I have pics I just need to get around to getting them off my phone of how my garden is going.

I had been putting them outside for a couple weeks, so it shouldn't have been a huge shock.

Now you'll plant too late and not survive through winter. :( :rip_1:

yeah :( oregon trail style death :(

Back